PVD'S

SafetyFirst

Would it be a reasonable solution for the union to focus more on part timers this contract? Im a full time driver but it just seems like we'd clearly have a stronger union if some of those guys were vested in their union. Maybe there's not a whole lot that can be done to change that?

flatbread

Occasional Lurker
Would it be a reasonable solution for the union to focus more on part timers this contract? Im a full time driver but it just seems like we'd clearly have a stronger union if some of those guys were vested in their union. Maybe there's not a whole lot that can be done to change that?

We're risking a threadjack here, but I'll say this shortly. Being in a RTW state, the union did not earn my support when I was PT. The most I ever saw within the first year was the steward breezing by us once to say 'hi,' and a membership drive outside the guard shack. When we didn't have work for a week and a half following peak and then announced the closing of our shift the day we returned, the union was merely physically present. Nobody told me we could have filed for 3.5 hours times seven or eight days. Everything I learned about the union before joining was online.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
We're risking a threadjack here, but I'll say this shortly. Being in a RTW state, the union did not earn my support when I was PT. The most I ever saw within the first year was the steward breezing by us once to say 'hi,' and a membership drive outside the guard shack. When we didn't have work for a week and a half following peak and then announced the closing of our shift the day we returned, the union was merely physically present. Nobody told me we could have filed for 3.5 hours times seven or eight days. Everything I learned about the union before joining was online.

Are you a dues paying member now ?

brown_trousers

You're absolutely right. The reason the part timers dont vote or get involved in the union is because they see no value in it. They are making darn near minimum wage and every time we negotiate a contract it favors us full timers while showing no improvements for part timers. I think if you calculate for inflation, they are taking major paycuts year after year.

At this point in time, a part-time job at UPS is just a short-term college job. A disposable job they work until they can find something better.

I believe that when RTW finally breaks our union (If it Does), it will be because we failed to represent our part timers, and they weren't willing to stand with us as a union.