Qualifying

Newbee

I have searched this site and and have found similar situations as mine but none that answer the questions I have I am so confused with this company it's insane. I started working for ups for one reason and that is to have a career as a driver I got hired as a pt package handler in April of 2015 when I got hired I mentioned that I would like to drive at some point. They told me that could be a good possibility in the near future. A month later I started the initial testing, the Diad test, road test,and ride along, 2 months went by then they scheduled me to go to driving school they canceled that then scheduled me again a month later canceled that and finally about another month later I finally went to school. I passed and didn't hear from them till October I drove a few days here and there. they started filling out my driving booklet that logs my performance then stopped all of a sudden. I didn't drive again till dec 1st and every day including Saturday's until dec 24th. I haven't driven since then ,I just want to know if this is common or if theirs anything i can do? Im not whining either I just care about my career and have a kid on the way I left a good job for this in hopes that It would be a good move. I want to retire at UPS I love the job but $200 a week is not enough. (Working local sort) I would like to get another job but I have to call in every morning and most employers aren't to keen on the ups thing. I just want to know if I'm doing something wrong or if this is normal

Last edited:

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Yes it is normal, your driving will be sporadic until summer vacations start then drop off then pick up during peak season again.
Hope that answers your questions and helped

Newbee

I just want to get qualified at this point. At least then I'll have peace of mind but I guess the driving I did during peak doesn't count toward my 30 days right? I've heard mixed reviews about that too I heard that since I worked inside prior to driving it does count but some say NO idk what to believe. My sups like to play dumb too nobody knows what the rules are lol

PT Car Washer

My building had a new driver qualify during last peak. He's working two sorts now to get his hours. Most likely he will have a couple more drivers join him soon, at least until Spring.

bham brown

Your time during peak does not count toward your 30. You need to ask if they intend to put you on the road any time besides peak. Odds are you were just pulled up for peak and won't drive again til then. It sucks working PT but most all of us did it. You just have to ask yourself if it's worth it.

KhmerStyle

I'm in the same situation. Was hired during peak in november and drove every day until January than it was just running air. Got rehired as a package handler but i still run air almost everyday after preload shift. I also get the occasional early am drive. Got a driver complaining that was driving and he wasn't being used so H R told me I'm not suppose to drive. My supervisor still call me to drive because they say I am swift. I guess we just have to tough it out and prove ourselves.

bham brown

False. It can at management's discretion.

Ahhh, the ole management discretion you say. Well I've been here 25 years and have never seen it happen. Used to be in the contract stating that anyone hired during that period couldn't attain seniority. I admit I haven't looked that up recently because I haven't needed that info. But heck management discreetly does a lot of things that's not contractual.

Fezco

Be thankful you got to drive in your first year with the company. That almost never happens. Took me seven years to go driving. Get another part time job in the meantime with flexible hours.

You shouldn't have to call in every morning they have to tell you before leaving prior day if you're laid off or not.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I have searched this site and and have found similar situations as mine but none that answer the questions I have I am so confused with this company it's insane. I started working for ups for one reason and that is to have a career as a driver I got hired as a pt package handler in April of 2015 when I got hired I mentioned that I would like to drive at some point. They told me that could be a good possibility in the near future. A month later I started the initial testing, the Diad test, road test,and ride along, 2 months went by then they scheduled me to go to driving school they canceled that then scheduled me again a month later canceled that and finally about another month later I finally went to school. I passed and didn't hear from them till October I drove a few days here and there. they started filling out my driving booklet that logs my performance then stopped all of a sudden. I didn't drive again till dec 1st and every day including Saturday's until dec 24th. I haven't driven since then ,I just want to know if this is common or if theirs anything i can do? Im not whining either I just care about my career and have a kid on the way I left a good job for this in hopes that It would be a good move. I want to retire at UPS I love the job but $200 a week is not enough. (Working local sort) I would like to get another job but I have to call in every morning and most employers aren't to keen on the ups thing. I just want to know if I'm doing something wrong or if this is normal

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Ahhh, the ole management discretion you say. Well I've been here 25 years and have never seen it happen. Used to be in the contract stating that anyone hired during that period couldn't attain seniority. I admit I haven't looked that up recently because I haven't needed that info. But heck management discreetly does a lot of things that's not contractual.
There is nothing in the contract that says we can't let people qualify during peak.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I think that language is just really to protect the company from being held to FT permanent standards for temporary peak hires. We've had a few PT to FT drivers get credit for peak.

johnny_hotdog

We have drivers qualify during peak. From what I understand it all depends on what type of bid you signed. If you signed a seasonal bid the days don't count, however if you signed a full time driver bid then they do count.

underworked1

Gotta' be a Runner-Gunner! Sups love that.
Couple things I've noticed at my center is that all the older drivers think the young ones are running and speeding around. Most of the time it's because they covered their route and came way under. The older guys have a slower pace obviously.... (just can't work at the same pace you could when you were 21) and also the older guys chat it up at businesses with customers. This done for years had lowered the stop count and time allowance. So if a young guy tears your route up, it's probably not them....it's you.

underworked1

We have drivers qualify during peak. From what I understand it all depends on what type of bid you signed. If you signed a seasonal bid the days don't count, however if you signed a full time driver bid then they do count.
I qualified during peak...if you start your 30 days before peak it doesn't matter when they end

underworked1

Be thankful you got to drive in your first year with the company. That almost never happens. Took me seven years to go driving. Get another part time job in the meantime with flexible hours.

You shouldn't have to call in every morning they have to tell you before leaving prior day if you're laid off or not.
Not at our center. They call drivers 30 min before start time to let them know if they are driving. BA says it is allowed