Question regarding "job abandonment"

oldngray

nowhere special
The reason is irrelevant. If he didn't have the common courtesy or the balls to go up to his sup and say Something happened....I have to leave now, I can't work today... he obviously doesn't value his job very much.

The only time I could imagine it happening would be if he went too work drunk or high and after he got there realized he was too messed up to work and tried to leave without talking to anyone.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
The only time I could imagine it happening would be if he went too work drunk or high and after he got there realized he was too messed up to work and tried to leave without talking to anyone.
Then go back to your car and call your boss and make up an emergency of why you left. Anything is better than nothing.

laffter

Okay but who just walks into work and turns right around and leaves? It's like cooking dinner but then just throwing it out when it's ready.

Sometimes it takes so long to prepare a meal, you lose your appetite by the time it's done. But, you don't throw it out. You put it in the fridge to eat later.

Is it really so hard to imagine why someone would walk in and leave? Come on...

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Sometimes it takes so long to prepare a meal, you lose your appetite by the time it's done. But, you don't throw it out. You put it in the fridge to eat later.

why did you leave? And yes, it is. Sure...I'd love to leave somedays...but I'm here....I'm working. Even the rare occasions when they ask us five min after start time....do you want the day off? Nope...should've called me an hour ago when I was still home.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Work isn't a leftover, you either do it or you don't. Do you think your fellow employees and sups want to be there? Heck no. I'd way rather be home petting the dog and watching a hockey game.
It isn't hard to imagine it. What I find hard to believe is walking in and then back out with no reason. If someone close to you just got into a car wreck or something okay, I get that. But even still, you would tell someone why you're leaving.

After all of the crap reasons I've heard as to why people can't work pretty much nothing surprises me anymore. Trust me.

laffter

why did you leave?

The only time I left work before working was in my first week (training) because they had no area for me to work in. Like I said, this is a hypothetical question.

Has the thought of leaving really never crossed your mind... when you show up and see what your day is going to be like?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
technically, if you did NOT clock in then it is a NO CALL< NO SHOW and they can start progressive discipline. it really doesn't matter that you showed up. legally you were not being paid because you did not clock in. they can not fire you for job abandonment,

why some people want to make their lives more difficult than necessary is beyond me.

clean hairy

Long ago, called in sick, was ordered to come in or else.
Went in, told my Sup I was sick and had to see the Doc.
Sup didn't care, demanded I work that day.
Found my Mgr, started to tell him what happened, and puked all over the place.
He told me to go see the Doc, and my abscene that day would be excused. As I was leaving, he was screaming at my Sup.
Of course, this was decades ago before i knew what I know now.

By The Book

I always find it curious when people say there has to be more. Why does it matter what the reasoning behind the action is? The reasoning is only relevant to the person performing the action.

For example, when you "call in" that you're not coming into work, they always ask why. IF it's going to be considered a no show and not a sick day, why does it matter why?

UPS typically doesn't concern itself with reasons. If you're going to be written up for a no show, for example, you're going to be written up whether you had a legitimate reason or not.

I don't believe that "my car won't start" will work as an excuse if they're really serious about people showing up.

Anyway, I'll leave it at this and see if maybe one of the stewards on the forum sees the thread and has an opinion. I'm curious how they'd handle such a situation.
I guess as a steward I would tell you it's your choice, but your playing with fire and better be able to handle the consequences. I'm also going to tell you I don't get paid to perform my steward duties and to not waste my time.

laffter

Sometimes you shoot someone straight and not make promises. Of course I would of discussed your ( hypothetical situation) with you.

I guess what I should take from this is that there isn't a definitive answer? If this action resulted in termination, it would likely go to panel and the decision would be in 'their' hands?

By The Book

I guess what I should take from this is that there isn't a definitive answer? If this action resulted in termination, it would likely go to panel and the decision would be in 'their' hands?
Common sense answer would be to not try this scenario and see what comes of it. As employees when we've made the decision to show up we work. I can see someone driving to the health club before work with the best of intentions to work out and walk in and have this( I don't want to be here moment), but haven't heard of it at ups though. There could be a personal situation that really gets you emotional and I can see it then. If this happens go to your sup and tell them what's going on. They will like your honesty with the situation.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I'd way rather be home petting the dog.
We used to call it choking the chicken. I guess the terminology changed.

Anyway, contractually, you have not reported to work until you clock in.

And you can leave anytime you want after clocking in without getting fired if, and only if, you have a good reason. This means communicating it to your sup. Family emergency, sick, etc.

If you just walk out, UPS considers that you just quit. And unless you can provide a legitimate reason at some point in the near future, the union will side with UPS.

Leaving before you clock in is not a contractual problem. You did not report for work yet. It is treated as a no call. But do you really want to risk your job on whether or not the state panel is in a good mood. If the contract is not perfectly clear, it is up to interpretation.

If your sup saw you at the building, and saw you leave, he could technically fire you for job abandonment. You showed up for work but did not clock in and left. Contractually, you did not report for work yet. But physically, you did. Again, do you feel good about putting your job on the line based on how the panel "feels" today?

Will you get your job back. I give it 99.99 to 0.01. But would you be that 0.01?

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Long ago, called in sick, was ordered to come in or else.
Went in, told my Sup I was sick and had to see the Doc.
Sup didn't care, demanded I work that day.
What an idiot sup. Only time I would push someone to come in is if I had evidence they were full of it. I'd rather have you home resting than possibly puke or getting everyone sick.
We used to call it choking the chicken. I guess the terminology changed.
I was actually being honest

mixyo

Dispatcher
People forget to clock in/out all the time. No big deal. Usually the sup would notice the time card error and say something.