Question regarding "job abandonment"

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
A driver in my building did this years ago, before the 9.5 list was in effect. He was so tired of being out til 9 every night and took one look at his load and just walked out. People saw him, but he never clocked in. Ended up being a couple weeks before he clocked in again but he did get his job back.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
This is a hypothetical question. I didn't do it, nor did anyone I know do it.

You walk in. People see you walk in. You do not clock in. A few minutes later you leave the building. At no point do you do any work. You do not "call in". Would it still be considered job abandonment?
My question is where or why did you think of this question? Kind of doesn't make any sense the question really. Simple answer is, if a person comes to work and doesnt punch in and leaves, their a dumbasczz plain and simple. You come to work and be responsible, and punch in to work, not walk away n leave. That's just plain old retarded and if a person does that, they don't deserve to have a job there, cause that's just inexcusable and irresponsible.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

My question is where or why did you think of this question? Kind of doesn't make any sense the question really. Simple answer is, if a person comes to work and doesnt punch in and leaves, their a dumbasczz plain and simple. You come to work and be responsible, and punch in to work, not walk away n leave. That's just plain old retarded and if a person does that, they don't deserve to have a job there, cause that's just inexcusable and irresponsible.
Be careful jumpman, you're starting to sound like management :D

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Sometimes you shoot someone straight and not make promises. Of course I would of discussed your ( hypothetical situation) with you.
being a shop steward is a thankless job. no matter what you do someone is going to be unhappy. the pay is lousy, you get attitude, people are ungrateful, and as a bonus , you become real popular on both sides.

Re-Raise

What if I drive to work in a snow storm.

When I get there they tell me that half of the other drivers called in saying they couldn't make it to work, so they cut my route and half of the other routes.

They want me to deliver two routes combined to an area I have never been to before as the snow is still coming down.

I would be very tempted to tell them to go friend themselves and walk back out.

Is that job abandonment any more so than the people who stayed home?

clean hairy

Those who stayed home did not show up for work and decide after punching in they did not like the assignment for the day and walk out.
Doing so I believe would be job abandonment.
But, those who did not go in could not be considered abandoning the job since they never showed up at work.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
What if I drive to work in a snow storm.

When I get there they tell me that half of the other drivers called in saying they couldn't make it to work, so they cut my route and half of the other routes.

They want me to deliver two routes combined to an area I have never been to before as the snow is still coming down.

I would be very tempted to tell them to go friend themselves and walk back out.

Is that job abandonment any more so than the people who stayed home?

of course it is. you should be thanking the gods that you have such a good job. this happens in feeder all the time. it can take me 2 hrs to get to work in a snowstorm. then they will send me to Oakland over donner summit , have to chain a tractor trailers both ways and do it in 14 hrs.

I have a lot of pride and satisfaction when I can bust that out and help out when others wont or cant.

Mack Grant

You were scheduled to work. You came in...so it's not a NC/NS. You left without permission....job abandonment.

Loss prevention/security may have video of you entering and exiting the premise. You're obviously a part timer, but you need to have some years with the company and a clean discipline record/work history or a really, really good story. Otherwise siyanara!!

Re-Raise

of course it is. you should be thanking the gods that you have such a good job. this happens in feeder all the time. it can take me 2 hrs to get to work in a snowstorm. then they will send me to Oakland over donner summit , have to chain a tractor trailers both ways and do it in 14 hrs.

I have a lot of pride and satisfaction when I can bust that out and help out when others wont or cant.
Interesting.

I haven't needed a day's pay for a long time, but I am still one of the people that Cowboys up on the days when the pusillanimous stay home.

Just always felt like turning around and heading out the door.

trickpony1

"....pride and satisfaction...." doesn't feed the family and pay the bills. Money does.

If you have an accident or become a fatality the company doesn't care. There are always others to replace you.

Don't be a hero. I understand Donner Pass is really dangerous in a snow/ice storm.

At our age, it's important to conserve, preserve and protect ourselves. The cemetery is full of hero's.

Re-Raise

Those who stayed home did not show up for work and decide after punching in they did not like the assignment for the day and walk out.
Doing so I believe would be job abandonment.
But, those who did not go in could not be considered abandoning the job since they never showed up at work.
They just decided sooner

PT Car Washer

"....pride and satisfaction...." doesn't feed the family and pay the bills. Money does.

If you have an accident or become a fatality the company doesn't care. There are always others to replace you.

Don't be a hero. I understand Donner Pass is really dangerous in a snow/ice storm.

At our age, it's important to conserve, preserve and protect ourselves. The cemetery is full of hero's.
Who would be the most qualified to safely complete the job? An old experienced driver who has made the trip many times or do you throw a rookie out there? Sometimes seniority also gives you responsibility.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Live 35 miles from work, snowstorm- not coming in. My life or boxes, which is more important? Easy 1 my life. Don't get nowhere in life playing hero. That job goes on, not bout being a wussy, its about being safe and making a smart decision for your family 1st and foremost. Those boxes will be there tomorrow, your life isn't guaranteed to be.

Re-Raise

Who would be the most qualified to safely complete the job? An old experienced driver who has made the trip many times or do you throw a rookie out there? Sometimes seniority also gives you responsibility.
Should I have to run someone's route that decided not to come in, even though my route is cut and I am third in seniority in the entire center?