Question regarding "job abandonment"

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Should I have to run someone's route that decided not to come in, even though my route is cut and I am third in seniority in the entire center?
Hell no. You don't HAVE to do anything, your seniority should give you right to choose not to, and have a less senority cover driver , or bid driver, whose route was also cut run said route.

PT Car Washer

Should I have to run someone's route that decided not to come in, even though my route is cut and I am third in seniority in the entire center?
My reply was who is the most qualified to safely complete the trip. Sometimes it may be a younger driver. I would not set up a driver to fail when it could mean his life or others.

Re-Raise

In your centers do you have to work if your route is cut?

In my center they claim that seniority gives you the right "to work", not the right "not to work"?

They just tell the people they don't want on the road to stay home and wait till some of us get there and put us on different routes.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Ive had that happen before where I wanted to go home and they had coverage for it but they were going to put some young boy on it that I knew would probably fail or struggle on it because they didn't have the crazy knowledge that I have on it. Ill admit ive been a softie and have had some compassion for the youngblood lol. Don't often happen though lol.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
In your centers do you have to work if your route is cut?

In my center they claim that seniority gives you the right "to work", not the right "not to work"?

They just tell the people they don't want on the road to stay home and wait till some of us get there and put us on different routes.
If my routes cut im disappearing like a virgin on prom night, out of there lol.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
"....pride and satisfaction...." doesn't feed the family and pay the bills. Money does.

If you have an accident or become a fatality the company doesn't care. There are always others to replace you.

Don't be a hero. I understand Donner Pass is really dangerous in a snow/ice storm.

At our age, it's important to conserve, preserve and protect ourselves. The cemetery is full of hero's.
point well taken. have 25 plus years experience in snow and ice and know my limitations. sometimes I like the challenge. every driver from all the other companies know UPS drivers are the "kings of the hill" that kinda makes you feel good when other drivers give you that recognition.