Quit Yesterday

Est.1998

Yeah, one of the most well paid trucking jobs maybe but not out of every job in the world. That's just stupid.
I would go as far to put UPS in there with every job in the world.
Bunch of guys and gals, some with college degrees, others without, making a $100K annually with benefits.
Kind of hard to compete with that outside of the trades or having CDLs with crazy endorsements and all.

Big Rigger

K. Define "safe"/"unsafe". Exactly now.

Ok.

So when this becomes impossible, what to do?

The possibilities are endless.

I delivered a heavy industrial route for 15 years. Often this scenario. Gee, how did I ever survive?.....

Yep, one step, one pkg, one stop at a time....

Can't get either door open at your first stop because of fallen pkgs(for example)? Give em a call....let them fix it. I've seen doors pulled completey off trucks and trailers to get to loads/pkgs by mechanics forklifts...

Oh, I understand.....

Yeah, I buy my own Windex....
Thanks Dave

WeAreAllGoingToMakeIt

Even in trucking there's some CDL jobs that make crazy stupid money by comparison.

Really, in what categories? Hazmat trucking or gasoline transportation? Also, how much more above 100k/ year do those jobs pay?

Working for UPS is great, no doubt about it. But it's always important to learn about other jobs and compare them to UPS.

quad decade guy

Yeah, one of the most well paid trucking jobs maybe but not out of every job in the world. That's just stupid.
K.

Let's see em.

Sleepers pay better than $150k....

I'll make $120k just in a brown truck.

Yeah in the world. Lot's of places in the WORLD make a couple bucks a DAY.

See, lot's of stupidity here on BC.

See? That's just stupid eh?

MattM

What’s a drivers options when it’s a full truck? Does the computer or Diad still want package #1 delivered first? So they would need to search for it? Or can you start by delivering what’s causing the truck to be overloaded? If you’re 4 hours in and have completed just 4 stops, is this firable? At a certain point, you have to know your union rights.
Could a runner have feasibly done these 240 stops in a solid time frame? I would love to see what the computers showed.
Can you return a half full truck and say you tried your best?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
What’s a drivers options when it’s a full truck? Does the computer or Diad still want package #1 delivered first? So they would need to search for it? Or can you start by delivering what’s causing the truck to be overloaded? If you’re 4 hours in and have completed just 4 stops, is this firable? At a certain point, you have to know your union rights.
Could a runner have feasibly done these 240 stops in a solid time frame? I would love to see what the computers showed.

Article 37. Honest day's work for an honest day's pay, production standards are not recognized.

Having said that, you should run all your air first. If you can't find an air package, message it in and keep going. Then get your bulk stops off, especially if they are blocking your other stops. Prioritize businesses after that. Work in resis where possible, the rest should be easy once you get the bulk off. If you are running a bricked out car on an all resi route with no bulk stops, do your best, deliver irregs as soon as you can to make room. If your management team directs you to follow orion, then follow it. Your failure will be on them.

Whereistheunion

Walked into the center in the morning with 240 stops on my rural route. There will obviously be missed after 12 hours of delivering along with everyone else in the center. Problem started when we were all told that nothing could be left in the center. Every package including those that won't be delivered need to go with us on the truck. I will skip the rest here, but there was a lot of yelling going back and forth between drivers, supervisors and the center manager. Eventually they settled with fitting as many packages as possible and they will come around and make sure there's no room to fit in more.

So how bad was it? I pulled my first 10 stops out and left the center with them in the cab because I couldn't walk into the back. I brought 2 air containers with me to hold small packages in the cab. I continued like that for 38 stops. In that time I couldn't open the sliding door 4 times due to boxes piling up against it. I had to go to the back, pull boxes onto the road and then climb on my stomach to clear boxes from the sliding door several times. I finally had enough when I twisted my ankle trying to get over a box.

This company sets you up to fail. They'd rather have numbers that show everyone left the center early and that they kept the center clean of packages... even though it will lower everyone's stops per hour to the ground from not being able to grab and sort the back of the truck.

After 47 stops I decided I had enough. Called in a vehicle breakdown to waste time and got towed back an hour later. Center manager says they got a van ready for me to deliver in, so start moving the packages from the truck, which the mechanic will look at later. Told him I'm taking a lunch break right then, he goes ballistic. I sit there and eat while he yells threats. Of course I don't care because I'm already quitting. I punch out after my lunch break, walk by his office and tell him all the packages are loaded and ready for him to deliver. Then I walked out.

Another package runner bites the dust for UPS, hope whoever gets my route can handle the stops per hour. I expect a lot of call ins or maybe even more people quitting on monday, because whatever happened with me happened to everyone else as well.

Before anyone asks, I have another job lined up that I'm exciting about even though it pays less. Wish you guys success with this job.
Believe it or not, it's probably not to late to get your job back if your interested. Sounds like they blew your (mental gasket) your leaving a great future behind. I respect your decision though, good luck on your new endeavors.

Whereistheunion

They will ( fire) you into the Heaven's if you brought a truck back half full. Should have went out there, choke to death communicated with management gave a 14hr ETA. Refuse, to take pkgs in the cabin for safety reasons get the steward involved for a witness. If he truly had 240 stops on a rural route there is No scientific way he could of finished in 14hrs with 1 exception. Maybe if he the truck with multiple drones.

Stat41

Walked into the center in the morning with 240 stops on my rural route. There will obviously be missed after 12 hours of delivering along with everyone else in the center. Problem started when we were all told that nothing could be left in the center. Every package including those that won't be delivered need to go with us on the truck. I will skip the rest here, but there was a lot of yelling going back and forth between drivers, supervisors and the center manager. Eventually they settled with fitting as many packages as possible and they will come around and make sure there's no room to fit in more.

So how bad was it? I pulled my first 10 stops out and left the center with them in the cab because I couldn't walk into the back. I brought 2 air containers with me to hold small packages in the cab. I continued like that for 38 stops. In that time I couldn't open the sliding door 4 times due to boxes piling up against it. I had to go to the back, pull boxes onto the road and then climb on my stomach to clear boxes from the sliding door several times. I finally had enough when I twisted my ankle trying to get over a box.

This company sets you up to fail. They'd rather have numbers that show everyone left the center early and that they kept the center clean of packages... even though it will lower everyone's stops per hour to the ground from not being able to grab and sort the back of the truck.

After 47 stops I decided I had enough. Called in a vehicle breakdown to waste time and got towed back an hour later. Center manager says they got a van ready for me to deliver in, so start moving the packages from the truck, which the mechanic will look at later. Told him I'm taking a lunch break right then, he goes ballistic. I sit there and eat while he yells threats. Of course I don't care because I'm already quitting. I punch out after my lunch break, walk by his office and tell him all the packages are loaded and ready for him to deliver. Then I walked out.

Another package runner bites the dust for UPS, hope whoever gets my route can handle the stops per hour. I expect a lot of call ins or maybe even more people quitting on monday, because whatever happened with me happened to everyone else as well.

Before anyone asks, I have another job lined up that I'm exciting about even though it pays less. Wish you guys success with this job.
You could come work for Fedex. We leave packages in the building twice a day, every day. But then its pretty much a train wreck/dumpster fire over here. Wishing you happiness in your new job.....

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Really, in what categories? Hazmat trucking or gasoline transportation? Also, how much more above 100k/ year do those jobs pay?

Working for UPS is great, no doubt about it. But it's always important to learn about other jobs and compare them to UPS.
Resource transport and oversized loads for one. I don't know the exact figures because they were never jobs that I was interested in enough to fully research though. I remember the guys hauling wind turbine blades were making well into six figures.

thecamel

Waiting to put the re in front of tired
The vast majority of us sleep in our own bed every night. Wake up at home on the weekends. Drink beer from our own fridges. Those wind turbine blade hauling jobs move around quite a bit, no? There is value in that.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Shortage of fuel delivery drivers right now. Wages should be going up?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Article 37. Honest day's work for an honest day's pay, production standards are not recognized.

Having said that, you should run all your air first. If you can't find an air package, message it in and keep going. Then get your bulk stops off, especially if they are blocking your other stops. Prioritize businesses after that. Work in resis where possible, the rest should be easy once you get the bulk off. If you are running a bricked out car on an all resi route with no bulk stops, do your best, deliver irregs as soon as you can to make room. If your management team directs you to follow orion, then follow it. Your failure will be on them.
Try running a rural route with 300 stops in a 500. No bull stops and no irregular packages. Left those out so they could fit more stops in. LMAO