Quitting Question

tokons

I joined UPS less than a week ago hoping for a part time job like the ad said (4-5hrs) and so far I've been working for a minimum of 6 hours and also expected to come in an hour early than my online schedule said, and stay around 2 hours later than my online schedule also said. I specifically joined this job for the hours listed online. I talked to a full time supervisor and was told that, this how how ups works and I can't leave at the time that I was shown when I first applied. Not to mention this I already have bad back and feet pain and it was probably a mistake applying to a manual labor intensive job, I worked my last shift and went on my 2 days off. I was in pretty bad pain everyday coming in because of my back, and I had to stay later because I wasn't able to leave at the time out I was originally shown. I had a pretty bad experience and REALLY don't want to go back and am set on quitting. My question is though, I don't have the number for where I was working at nor can I find it. Can I call the ups recruitment line and tell them I'd like to resign immediately? Or do I just no call no show for several days and hope they fire me?

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I joined UPS less than a week ago hoping for a part time job like the ad said (4-5hrs) and so far I've been working for a minimum of 6 hours and also expected to come in an hour early than my online schedule said, and stay around 2 hours later than my online schedule also said. I specifically joined this job for the hours listed online. I talked to a full time supervisor and was told that, this how how ups works and I can't leave at the time that I was shown when I first applied. Not to mention this I already have bad back and feet pain and it was probably a mistake applying to a manual labor intensive job, I worked my last shift and went on my 2 days off. I was in pretty bad pain everyday coming in because of my back, and I had to stay later because I wasn't able to leave at the time out I was originally shown. I had a pretty bad experience and REALLY don't want to go back and am set on quitting. My question is though, I don't have the number for where I was working at nor can I find it. Can I call the ups recruitment line and tell them I'd like to resign immediately? Or do I just no call no show for several days and hope they fire me?

Even though you sound like a real loser like my son in law, you don't have to be. At least go in on Monday and tell them like an adult that you quit effective immediately.

No call no show only friend*s everyone each day until they finally terminate you which, could be more than a week later.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Even though you sound like a real loser like my son in law, you don't have to be. At least go in on Monday and tell them like an adult that you quit effective immediately.

No call no show only friend*s everyone each day until they finally terminate you which, could be more than a week later.

Don’t be so tough on the SIL he try’s

Lmao

tokons

I'm going to college and taking care of my parents at the same, it's not like I'm whining about having to work more because I don't want to, but because I simply don't have time to afford to. I fell flat on my back from a 12 foot drop, so like I said it was most likely a mistake applying for this job. I just wanted to know if calling them, or calling them to resign would be much better than a no call no show.

Poop Head

Judge me.
I'm going to college and taking care of my parents at the same, it's not like I'm whining about having to work more because I don't want to, but because I simply don't have time to afford to. I fell flat on my back from a 12 foot drop, so like I said it was most likely a mistake applying for this job. I just wanted to know if calling them, or calling them to resign would be much better than a no call no show.
Just show up and leave at the times they told you it would be when you got hired. If they say anything about it, tell them to get bent

MassWineGuy

If you feel in your bones that it’s not working out, quit with notice. If you can stick it out, there’s decent money and great benefits. Don’t let forum posts sway you too much.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
If you feel in your bones that it’s not working out, quit with notice. If you can stick it out, there’s decent money and great benefits. Don’t let forum posts sway you too much.
His lower back is already friend’ed up , plus he’s a millennial.. he’s got no chance at making it at ups.. better try fedex express or post office (maybe)

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I overhear this a lot, especially in our current hiring glut.
HR will say 4 to 9. reality its somewhere between 11PM to 11AM and you still only work 5 hours for most of the year.
Work the night shift that unloads package cars if you go to college, is my suggestion, they get the least amount of hours at the most convenient time.
And the manual labor... Be crazy lazy for all I care.

Drink Craft Beer

Your schedule has a set time of when you're suppose to be done for the day??

I call :censored2: on that.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I agree with this 100% don’t quit. Just do this till they fire you and collect unemployment
Um...

No?

WAD. If you refuse a direct order, and punch out, that's job abandonment. You will be fired for cause.
And you will not be able to collect unemployment.

That one is pretty easy.

allahuakbar

She/Her
Um...

No?

WAD. If you refuse a direct order, and punch out, that's job abandonment. You will be fired for cause.
And you will not be able to collect unemployment.

That one is pretty easy.
Better to chance ups not responding to the unemployment claim than quitting and definitely getting nothing

Justaloader

I work the twilight shift in my hub (pickoff and loading trailers) - a few things to keep in mind. This pandemic has everything all screwed up - hours in our hub change week to week, sometimes day to day. Typically Monday's are the worst days - we'll start at 4 pm, and run till 10 or 11 pm at night. Tuesday - we'll start at 5:30 and be wrapped by 10pm. That's not always the case though - the hours change with the ebb and flow of the volume that our location receives. You can stick to your set hours and leave according to the times on the document that you signed - but, be willing to accept what comes along with doing that, meaning, when it comes time that you need favors or anything of the like, don't bother asking as you'll have pissed your co-workers and sups off, and they more than likely won't be willing to do anything for you.

As for the body pain - my only suggestion there is become acquainted with Alieve (works great - two tablets about and hour before you start working, and any pain should be manageable through the shift), and to stick it out. My first two to three weeks were rough...I'm almost 40, and by no means a spring chicken anymore. I'm in good shape (6'4, 200lbs), and have done manual labor jobs in the past, but it had been a while prior to starting here. After about 3 weeks, your body gets used to it and builds muscle in response to the new demands you are placing on it. In short - it gets easier. Any back pain - I'd suggest plenty of stretching before work, and making absolutely sure you are lifting properly. Nothing worse then seeing a small box and thinking "ah this will be light", only to grab it and find out it's a 30lb box of washers or bolts or something, and you just tweaked the hell out of your back as you went to pick it up and turn / toss it.

If you are dead set on quitting - that is what it is. You have to do what's right for you, regardless of what anyone on here says. Me, personally, I'd go into your building, get with your supervisor, explain the situation, and proceed accordingly (if you are going to quit, do it face to face).

Just my 2 cents.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
Better to chance ups not responding to the unemployment claim than quitting and definitely getting nothing

Also they might relent and just let him work the hours advertised. Is say it’s worth a shot, unless his back is really about to give out. If that is the case he should just go in and turn in his ID and tell them exactly why he’s quitting. Two weeks notice is best but if that two weeks would exacerbate an existing injury then just quit on the spot and be done with it.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Just dont show up cupcake,