R1a Was Right!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
When R1a told us all about the problems of motivating employees to actually do something about going union, he likened it to "herding cats". After reading all of the tough talk, complaining, and kvetching about how bad Express has gotten, I'd have to say he's right on the money, because it really is like herding pusillanimous (cats, of course).

Most of you just keep taking what Fred is dishing out. Don't forget to dab your mouth and use some Listerine afterwards, OK?

vantexan

I liked my idea for contacting the media from hundreds of different places warning of a national slow down. Nah, won't work, sign a card instead. Can't we come up with a different union than the Teamsters?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I liked my idea for contacting the media from hundreds of different places warning of a national slow down. Nah, won't work, sign a card instead. Can't we come up with a different union than the Teamsters?

How about the IAM. After all, we work for an "airline", right? Maybe ALPA will take us, since Fred says we are "pilots".

DorkHead

Threatening a national slow down with the Media covering it would only work to FS`s advantage.

bbsam

Staff member
When R1a told us all about the problems of motivating employees to actually do something about going union, he likened it to "herding cats". After reading all of the tough talk, complaining, and kvetching about how bad Express has gotten, I'd have to say he's right on the money, because it really is like herding pusillanimous (cats, of course).

Most of you just keep taking what Fred is dishing out. Don't forget to dab your mouth and use some Listerine afterwards, OK?
If you keep intimidating the members like this, SPH is gonna get mad!

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
How about the IAM. After all, we work for an "airline", right? Maybe ALPA will take us, since Fred says we are "pilots".

Can't we come up with a different union than the Teamsters?

I'm all for unionization but when the Teamsters go running away like a whipped dog whenever things don't go exactly their way, that sends red flags a' flying.

I'd definitely be interested in another union. If Fred thinks of us as "pilots" well maybe then pilots we are. Now shall we contact ALPA to get things started?

Alpa > Footer/Admin Links > Contact Us

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm all for unionization but when the Teamsters go running away like like a whipped dog whenever things don't go exactly their way, that sends red flags a' flying.

I'd definitely be interested in another union. If Fred thinks of us as "pilots" well maybe then pilots we are. Now shall we contact ALPA to get things started?

Alpa > Footer/Admin Links > Contact Us

The IAM represents most major airline mechanics and used to represent Flying Tigers before they were bought in 1989. They also represent aircraft workers at several large companies. The few ex-Tiger people still around didn't seem to have any complaints with them. Perhaps they actually return calls and answer emails.

To say that I'm disapointed in the Teamsters would be an understatement. They don't indicate any interest in Express at all. I guess UPS is all that matters to them. Eventually, a narrow focus on one employer will work against them because Ground will continue to erode the UPS customer base and weaken the IBT's bargaining position.

That seems stupid.

IsItME

R1A made many good points here. However, we can all say whatever we want but you must do something about it. Action is what matters and if you allow this or any corporation to walk on you and you do nothing please know that the saying "the working man is a sucker" is true and you live it. R1A dropped off this site right before the buyout announcements. Either he died, got fired or got scared because he was very passionate. Everyday employees can win big battles against companies, happens everyday. Usually some small minded fools will try to discredit the possibility or assume they can't be beat but how many garbage, big name companies have disappeared forever? Memphis is a mess. Morale is horrid. This company is garbage. It's why I am taking the walk away money. I'm close to being done with it. Thanks, Mr. Buyout aka IsItMe

bbsam

Staff member
Why do people take the money and walk? I guess there are numerous ways to profit from a company one despises.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
yes, after the discussions I've had with co-workers over the past few weeks, sadly I've come to the conclusion that it would actually be easier to herd cats than to get these jokers to step out on a limb to better themselves. Ironically, I'm an "old-timer", but I definitely don't have an "I've got mine" attitude. But why should I even bother wasting any more of my time printing up cards when at the very most I'll get one person who'll even take one? And fom the feedback here it seems that the general attitude at my location is quite representative of the rest of the country.

My time at Express is nearly at an end, and as for these guys who still have another 10, 15, 20 years to go - I don't even feel sorry for 'em any more. I'm now 100% convinced that the Stockholm Syndrome is rampant at FedEx Express.

Fred wins ...... (in this world)

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
R1A made many good points here. However, we can all say whatever we want but you must do something about it. Action is what matters and if you allow this or any corporation to walk on you and you do nothing please know that the saying "the working man is a sucker" is true and you live it. R1A dropped off this site right before the buyout announcements. Either he died, got fired or got scared because he was very passionate. Everyday employees can win big battles against companies, happens everyday. Usually some small minded fools will try to discredit the possibility or assume they can't be beat but how many garbage, big name companies have disappeared forever? Memphis is a mess. Morale is horrid. This company is garbage. It's why I am taking the walk away money. I'm close to being done with it. Thanks, Mr. Buyout aka IsItMe

R1a got another job and quit, after he had made a very determined organizing effort at Express.

Ricochet1a

Posters here SHOULD pull up as many links to non-IBT unions and CALL THEM. This work was already done over a year ago by myself and others I know, and I posted extensively about it here. Search "jurisdictional issues" and "union turf" with me as the poster. But by all means, call for yourself and report the findings you get here.

The conversation will go something like this:

You: Hi Mr. xxxxx I'm a Courier with FedEx Express and I'd like some information regarding potentially organizing Express Couriers under your union.

Organizer: Did you say FedEx Express?

You: Most certainly, FedEx Express, which has us under the Railway Labor Act

Organizer: Well................ You see...................

I linked a rather extensive list of labor unions up in one of my posts. You can pull that up, or you can merely search Wiki for a listing of labor unions, and use that list.

Call away and report back here what you find.

If you don't want to go to all that trouble, I understand. No other union OTHER THAN the IBT will even look at non-mechanics within FedEx Express. Won't happen, no time, no way. But by all means, go out and gather this information yourself and prove it to yourself then post your results here.

If you really want to organize - given the complete inactivity in the past 2 weeks after the announcement of no pay raises - you are going to have to make the IBT wake up and realize there is life out there in Expressland.

They aren't going to come to you, you are going to have to GO TO THEM. They aren't going to like being treated like they are something that you'd scrape off the bottom of your shoe (our resident twit made his feelings clear in that regard). And they aren't going to hand you a $100 gift card at a retailer of your choice just for signing one of their representation cards.

If you cannot or will not leave Express, you have only two alternatives: choose what Fred is doing TO YOU or make a choice to find out what the IBT can do FOR YOU.

I had a plan and Ive been sticking to it but it hasn't been easy....herding pusillanimous cats is extremely hard!!! I think loop to loop is the best way to go about it...simplify it so you don't feel overwhelmed trying to unionize the whole station at once....
I agree that someone other then the Teamsters is a great idea...