Radios in package cars

disneyworld

They will probably say they can't be hooked up to the vehicles battery. We had a fire in our building a few years ago, engulfed a few pkg cars, and I think they tried to blame it on a radio hooked up to the battery. Not sure if it was ever substantiated.

upsdude

No problem with radios here. The blue-tooth ban was posted on upser.com, pcm’d and posted around the building. I carry a cheap dollar store radio that gets used during lunch. I’m not knocking anyone else, but radios are a distraction for me while working/driving (package car). I’m better off without it.

Cell phones…….. I check my “missed” calls while parked, no phone answering for me while driving.

moreluck

golden ticket member
"Cell phones…….. I check my “missed” calls while parked, no phone answering for me while driving."

Upsdude....I wish every driver in CA. would do that too!!

Griff

Never found a reason to use a radio. I'm so busy I don't even think about it and the day is over before I know it.

browniehound

No problem with radios here. The blue-tooth ban was posted on upser.com, pcm’d and posted around the building. I carry a cheap dollar store radio that gets used during lunch. I’m not knocking anyone else, but radios are a distraction for me while working/driving (package car). I’m better off without it.

Cell phones…….. I check my “missed” calls while parked, no phone answering for me while driving.

UPSdude,
I hear ya on the cell phones, but the radio being a distraction? Only if its the bottom of the 9th, down by 3, bases loaded, 2 out and a 3-2 count with Big Papi at the plate!:thumbup1:

upsdude

UPSdude,
I hear ya on the cell phones, but the radio being a distraction? Only if its the bottom of the 9th, down by 3, bases loaded, 2 out and a 3-2 count with Big Papi at the plate!:thumbup1:

I hear ya. LOL!

I tried listening to races a couple Monday’s after Sunday rainouts. That didn’t work at all, ended up taking my lunch in 30 second increments. :w00t: Man that made for a long day. My personal car, now that’s a different story, got to have tunes or talk radio. :thumbup1:

Browned out2

If management thinks it would make our day more aggravating to not have radios than I bet they will push for it in 08. I would strike over the issue.

dave_socal

PACKAGE/FEEDER
I use mine every now and again for backround noise. It's small and I can barely hear it when I drive unless I'm in a nice new automatic. Keeps me happy at lunch and while im doing resi's I can hear other people talking besides the voices in my head.
I thought I was the only one with voices in my head. Whew! I'm glad to learn I'm not alone. This new rule wont last and drivers wont adhere to it anyway radios, cellphones are an important part of our work day. They both provide information like weather and traffic conditions. I often have to work my old package route when feeder work is unavaliable so I wired in a radio into package car. Every so often they (mechanics) are told to cut out the radios, the next day I just reassemble the wires and done. The Florida accident involving the death of a child though tragic is in no way related to a radio. I really dont think the original post was nation wide it must be some fly by night manager with his own views.

DS

Fenderbender
Never found a reason to use a radio. I'm so busy I don't even think about it and the day is over before I know it.
Me too...sometimes i sing...and sometimes I listen to the voices in my head...and sometimes I slam my door when
some rap loving dipstick in a 91 civic thats worth one tenth
what the stereo is worth pulls up beside me.
If I did have music,I`d play rage against the machine...
really loud.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I have answered my cell while on the road, but jus as I did this evening on my way in, I pulled over before taking the call. Even had a sup call me adn throught he conversation has asked if I was driving while we were talking and I told them there is no way I would be able to hear him if I was driving and that I had pulled over first before answering.

I was told the other day by a manager about not having my bluetooth on while in the building. i mildly argued my case that my earpiece and the in building wireless systems do not run on similar technology. The building should be wired with Wifi and not Bluetooth. Bluetooth only has a range of 33 feet and if our building is only communicating on 33 foot intervals then we are truely pathetic and a Fortune company.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
For a while, the Shop was installing cigarette lighters in Package Cars to plug in radios, but now they can't. In a Safety Meeting recently, this issue of radios was bought up, and the Center Manager said they were okay, just there is a concern about oversized ones being in the cab as a safety hazard. Most of our drivers use them. I don't, I tried to carry a boom box for a couple of days but couldn't hear it well over the noise.

ups_vette

The National Master United Parcel Service Agreement, Art. 18, "Safety and Health Equipment, Accidents and Reports", Sec. 8 "Radios":

"Transistor radios will be allowed in package cars."

It doesn't get any clearer than this. However, if local laws and statutes are in contradiction, then they override any contract agreement.

This provision cannot be taken out until arbitration TAKES it out for the contract of '08.

If, tho, your local center is making this a "flavor of the month" issue, then, by all means comply and then file. Do not risk getting fired or suspended by refusing to "work as directed". Remember, it IS in the contract and follow through on this basis.

It seems some people do not know the definition of TRANSISTOR RADIO .

I'm surprised noone mentioned they have a portable DVD player installed in the package car in order to watch their favorite videos during the day.

705red

Browncafe Steward
It seems some people do not know the definition of TRANSISTOR RADIO .

I'm surprised noone mentioned they have a portable DVD player installed in the package car in order to watch their favorite videos during the day.
Vette with a response like that you must be in management. Management is always attempting to dissect the contract, by using big words like definition and transistor. I have a cd player transistor radio big enough that it still fits in my locker. The proper way is to make sure you use 2 bungy cords to strap it in, just in case 1 breaks its still secured! Just give me my 200 stops and dont worry about how i amuse my self on the route while still keeping the companys best interests in mind.

raceanoncr

Vette with a response like that you must be in management. Management is always attempting to dissect the contract, by using big words like definition and transistor. I have a cd player transistor radio big enough that it still fits in my locker. The proper way is to make sure you use 2 bungy cords to strap it in, just in case 1 breaks its still secured! Just give me my 200 stops and dont worry about how i amuse my self on the route while still keeping the companys best interests in mind.

705red, you should know better than this! All Vet was saying is, well, check out some of the other posts here. Hooking up a radio to the car battery? Do you or they wanna risk getting fired or suspended for this? The contract clearly says TRANSITOR RADIOS! Now I'm sure it didn't have in mind Mp3's or anything like that when it was ratified, the point being, no wires hooked to company property.

And management always trying to dissect the contract? With all due respect, Red, here, locally, our mgrs have no clue on any aspect of the contract, let alone dissect! I had one mgr personally tell me, "Well, YOU know the contract better than I do!". I just don't think they're capable of going to this extreme to dissect!

Now, if they find a wire going to a battery...THEY ARE VERY CAPABLE OF INTERPRETING THE CONTRACT! Just don't make termination so obvious is all.

705red

Browncafe Steward
705red, you should know better than this! All Vet was saying is, well, check out some of the other posts here. Hooking up a radio to the car battery? Do you or they wanna risk getting fired or suspended for this? The contract clearly says TRANSITOR RADIOS! Now I'm sure it didn't have in mind Mp3's or anything like that when it was ratified, the point being, no wires hooked to company property.

And management always trying to dissect the contract? With all due respect, Red, here, locally, our mgrs have no clue on any aspect of the contract, let alone dissect! I had one mgr personally tell me, "Well, YOU know the contract better than I do!". I just don't think they're capable of going to this extreme to dissect!

Now, if they find a wire going to a battery...THEY ARE VERY CAPABLE OF INTERPRETING THE CONTRACT! Just don't make termination so obvious is all.
Racer it says transistor radio, it doesnt say battery powered transistor in mine does it say it in yours? It also doesnt state that you cant have any wires, mine is wired to my bulk head light with alligator clips. You should never wire it to the battery because you step on the step plate, sooner or later you will ground out the positive and a potential fire.

Cementups

Box Monkey

The new trucks all have battery post un der the dash to hook up a set of alligator clips to. They will not work though unless there is a 10amp fuse installed in the batter compartment. There is a holder for the fuse already installed and wired in. If the car doesn't have one, 99% of mechanics will giv eyou one to put in or do it themselves.

No need to splice into the company wires anymore:thumbup1:

raceanoncr

Racer it says transistor radio, it doesnt say battery powered transistor in mine does it say it in yours? It also doesnt state that you cant have any wires, mine is wired to my bulk head light with alligator clips. You should never wire it to the battery because you step on the step plate, sooner or later you will ground out the positive and a potential fire.

All I'm saying is this: The company sees a wire going ANYWHERE and they're gonna go beserk! You know as well as I do that when they finally WANT to interpret something in the contract, they go nuts and go overboard! If these people are getting the PCM that no more radios allowed, PERIOD, then they have a grievance. I, for one, would not split hairs about a wire to a light or battery until it's resolved.

No, mine doesn't say anything, except Cobra 29, Panasonic AM/FM/CD/XM, the TV in the back just says JVC. Oh, it might be a little bigger truck than yours.

Yrs. ago, in feeders, there were no hookups allowed at all. Drivers would get fired for hooking, even temporarily, wires to the tractors power for "stealing power".

705red

Browncafe Steward
All I'm saying is this: The company sees a wire going ANYWHERE and they're gonna go beserk! You know as well as I do that when they finally WANT to interpret something in the contract, they go nuts and go overboard! If these people are getting the PCM that no more radios allowed, PERIOD, then they have a grievance. I, for one, would not split hairs about a wire to a light or battery until it's resolved.

No, mine doesn't say anything, except Cobra 29, Panasonic AM/FM/CD/XM, the TV in the back just says JVC. Oh, it might be a little bigger truck than yours.

Yrs. ago, in feeders, there were no hookups allowed at all. Drivers would get fired for hooking, even temporarily, wires to the tractors power for "stealing power".
I see waht your saying racer, but ive had it with the company making up rules as they go on contractual language. They cannot change the rules without the unions consent, but yet they do as they want until someone stands up for what is right. Im refusing to get pushed around anymore, if they want to go into battle over petty non infractions LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE.

tups

The Dewalt radio fits good on the shelf inside the cargo area, and can be loud enough to hear through the closed bulkhead door. I was told as long as it is not in a position that it could fall and hit me, it was ok. Seems like most of the guys in my center do this. You'll see about 20 of them lined up in the morning on the floor while everyone goes to get their diad. It really helps the day go by, and blasting Marilyn Manson's "Beautiful People" while making a stop of 10 pieces to a QVC queen puts a little smile on my face every time!! Anyone remember the Weird Al Yankovic song Men in Brown done like a cover of Wil Smith's Men in Black? Got it in the MP3 player I use and it came on the other day as I was finishing the day unloading at the belt, the sup for us stopped to listen and just cracked up for about 20 minutes.