Raise

SmithBarney

THEN: bad manager could play with scores and the bad employee would get a raise no matter how lousy he was.

NOW: bad manager has no control and the bad employee still gets a raise no matter how lousy he is.

If a employee is bad enough, then they are let go.
If they aren't let go, then they really must not be as bad as you say... otherwise why would the company keep them.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
If they aren't let go, then they really must not be as bad as you say... otherwise why would the company keep them.

I'm talking about performance issues. It takes 5 forevers to get rid of them because it generally, though not always, has to be the same deficiency that persists.

First you have to OLCC them a few times. Then you have to give them documented verbal counselings. Yes, counselings - plural. After that you have to issue warning letters/performance reminders and it is preferred that there be at least a month in between each. Then he gets a decision day. Then he comes back and has to have ample opportunity to get up to speed with his personal performance plan. When it's clear that he hasn't, he gets his last letter/reminder and probably terminated.

If he GFTs it, there is a good chance that he gets it overturned with the instructions that his manager find a route or some other position that is more suited to his skill set.

Acceptable conduct issues are a different matter.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I’ve never seen a bad employee let go for not being able to do their job well. I’ve only seen people fired for things like accidents, stealing, falsification, etc. Never lack of performance.

SmithBarney

I’ve never seen a bad employee let go for not being able to do their job well. I’ve only seen people fired for things like accidents, stealing, falsification, etc. Never lack of performance.
While I agree, I've never seen someone fired for doing a bad job. Then that must mean they really aren't doing so poorly to affect operations.
We have routes that the regular driver takes 9hrs to complete, and the swings regularly come in and run under 8, and often under 6.. yes 6. The driver is still here, so it must not be as bad as management says.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
While I agree, I've never seen someone fired for doing a bad job. Then that must mean they really aren't doing so poorly to affect operations.
We have routes that the regular driver takes 9hrs to complete, and the swings regularly come in and run under 8, and often under 6.. yes 6. The driver is still here, so it must not be as bad as management says.
I always wonder what people like that cover person do to finish a route so early. When I first got my route I couldn’t get higher than 75%. A manager rode with me and I did everything by the book and moved at my regular speed (I don’t move slow). I still wasn’t over 75%. He could find nothing wrong with my methods or speed. Covers do my route now and they come back around the same time as me.

Purplepackage

I always wonder what people like that cover person do to finish a route so early. When I first got my route I couldn’t get higher than 75%. A manager rode with me and I did everything by the book and moved at my regular speed (I don’t move slow). I still wasn’t over 75%. He could find nothing wrong with my methods or speed. Covers do my route now and they come back around the same time as me.

I try to run every route at the same pace, my only pace is “get done and go home”. I’m generally out on harder routes where you run all day and just get nowhere because your driving 170-250 miles and have to much work.

Now on the days when I get to drive 20 miles and do maybe 100-130 stops, yeah I’m going to blow that route drivers numbers.

Because doing 80 stops in the middle of nowhere opposed to 120 that you can knock off 10 in the same office building can’t even compare

59 Dano

Exactly. Your best hope is that a lousy employee gets popped for an acceptable conduct violation that is a fireable offense.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Exactly. Your best hope is that a lousy employee gets popped for an acceptable conduct violation that is a fireable offense.
We had a guy years ago who was terrible. He was around for a long time. Management constantly documented his screw ups but could do nothing. He made the mistake of quitting one day to concentrate on his personal business. That didn’t work out and he tried to come back. Nope. Didn’t rehire him. Then he worked at UPS a short time and got fired. Last time I saw him he was working for a Ground contractor. I haven’t heard whether he’s still there or not. Lol.

59 Dano

I always wonder what people like that cover person do to finish a route so early.

Assuming pace and methods aren't issues, a fresh set of eyes will often see things that would normally get overlooked. Someone who has settled into a comfortable routine isn't about to rock his own boat.

59 Dano

I try to run every route at the same pace, my only pace is “get done and go home”. I’m generally out on harder routes where you run all day and just get nowhere because your driving 170-250 miles and have to much work.

Now on the days when I get to drive 20 miles and do maybe 100-130 stops, yeah I’m going to blow that route drivers numbers.

Because doing 80 stops in the middle of nowhere opposed to 120 that you can knock off 10 in the same office building can’t even compare

I was a swing eons ago. Like you, I could obliterate heavy city routes. Rural routes were harder because of all the driving.

One guy always accused me of speeding when I did his route. It was 80 stops and less than 40 miles of driving, LOL!

SmithBarney

well this particular route, it truly is the regular driver that is going so slow. I've run it, the route is a cake walk, and have suggested it can take 20 more P2 from a neighboring route that struggles daily.(those 20 stops would add only about 1hr to the rte)

MassWineGuy

Yes, up here, our raise are still based on our review score. Anything above 6.7, you get the max raise. 6.6-6.2 is usually half a percent lower than max. 6.2-5.7 is the lowest raise. 5.7 and below, you don't get a raise and are probably on your way out.

If they worked that way in the U.S. no one would get a raise.