Rally To Protest No A/C In UPS Trucks

ThePackageDeli

Yes, you do have to man up when dealing with the extreme heat and cold. But also yes, company operations/policies can and do change overtime and that doesn't have to be looked down upon.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Hi,

When and how long did you deliver(UPS pkg)? Feeder?

Thanks.
You act like it’s so excruciatingly hard to drive a truck and deliver stuff.
It’s not for girly boys, but it’s not nearly as difficult as you try to make people believe.
You probably should have backed away from the Twinkies years ago and kept your waistline below a 46.

Waaaaa…. It’s so hot!!!
Waaaaa…..It’s the most brutal occupation on the planet.

It’s not easy, but it’s not
“The Deadliest Delivery”….

Integrity

Binge Poster
Yes, you do have to man up when dealing with the extreme heat and cold. But also yes, company operations/policies can and do change overtime and that doesn't have to be looked down upon.
I think your post contains much wisdom.

I think the practice and habit of looking down on others, whether it be individuals, previous generations, or young people of the new generations is very harmful.

In regards to dealing with real and serious heat issues at UPS admittedly it does require perseverance but I think it is harmful to progress to look down on those weaker than you.

The reality is that some of those physically weaker and less able to handle the extreme temperatures are appearing to be stronger and more able to show courage by trying to challenge the unethical and harmful conditions that employees are exposed to while working for UPS.

Some of the “tougher” guys see change makers as rats or troublemakers.

But IMO, individuals who pander to the status quo of the corrupt corporate culture, particularly the corrupt corporate safety culture that exists at UPS cause more trouble for the employees of UPS and the solidarity and bargaining power UPS Teamsters.

I am so glad that at least OSHA has gotten involved with the Heat National Emphasis Program.

This should aid the Teamsters Leaders in addressing this serious issue.

newolddude

All while UPS is making more money than ever. Think of that. Maybe all these “girlyboys” wouldn’t be so girly if you weren’t so beat and tired from work & had the time and energy to teach them how to be a man.
The trucks don’t need AC, they need workers that aren’t run in to the ground.

I’m tired of seeing UPS drivers delivering in my neighborhood at 6, 6:30, 7, 7:30pm or later.

Integrity

Binge Poster
The trucks don’t need AC, they need workers that aren’t run in to the ground.

I’m tired of seeing UPS drivers delivering in my neighborhood at 6, 6:30, 7, 7:30pm or later.
In my opinion the trucks do need AC and workers also need to be not run into the ground.

Problem is many package drivers rely on the OT and will not support a drastic overtime reduction campaign.

That is why part timers have to organize their voting power to protect working conditions for the overall good, not just pandering to greed and living above one’s means.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
In my opinion the trucks do need AC and workers also need to be not run into the ground.

Problem is many package drivers rely on the OT and will not support a drastic overtime reduction campaign.

That is why part timers have to organize their voting power to protect working conditions for the overall good, not just pandering to greed and living above one’s means.
How a/c going to help tough guy? We keep the bulkhead closed and rush stop to stop.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.

A/C ain’t happening

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
How do heaters help? Oohh wait they work. Don't they?
Ask any driver who works in winter. You still need plenty of layers due to cold. Once you stop, it is outside temperature in the truck as any driver with frozen windows can attest to.

The heater argument ready doesn't work but it's equivalent would be a truck a/c system that keeps the cab at 85 degrees.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Ask any driver who works in winter. You still need plenty of layers due to cold. Once you stop, it is outside temperature in the truck as any driver with frozen windows can attest to.

The heater argument ready doesn't work but it's equivalent would be a truck a/c system that keeps the cab at 85 degrees.
That would be optimistic

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
I think many as vastly underestimating how much it would cost to retrofit ac in the existing fleet.

Yes, before someone links one of those electric powered ac units, those are not going to get the job done, there about 2.3kw so about 7500 BTU an average car ac is around 15k to 18k BTU and a package car is a much more challenging environment to cool, I am not an engineer but you may need north of 48k BTU to cool the entire package car considering your going to loose the cool air every stop

Integrity

Binge Poster
Ask any driver who works in winter. You still need plenty of layers due to cold. Once you stop it is outside temperature in the truck as any driver with frozen windows can attest to.

The heater argument ready doesn't work bit it's equivalent would be a truck a/c system that keeps the cab at 85 degrees.
If AC could get the interior of UPS package cars at or about 85 degrees on extremely hot days this would be a vast improvement compared to the current working conditions in UPS package cars on extremely hot days.

This really is a no brainer for safety.

IMO Money and greed is the only issue on both the company and the rank and file side.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
If AC could get the interior of UPS package cars at or about 85 degrees on extremely hot days this would be a vast improvement compared to the current working conditions in UPS package cars on extremely hot days.

This really is a no brainer for safety.

IMO Money and greed is the only issue on both the company and the rank and file side.

I think I would rather drive with the doors open in 95 degree heat than sit in 85 degrees without moving air.

The only realistic option but expensive is to retrofit factory style ac to cool the cab only. As for the cargo area better ventilation would help

qdg2

You act like it’s so excruciatingly hard to drive a truck and deliver stuff.
It’s not for girly boys, but it’s not nearly as difficult as you try to make people believe.
You probably should have backed away from the Twinkies years ago and kept your waistline below a 46.

Waaaaa…. It’s so hot!!!
Waaaaa…..It’s the most brutal occupation on the planet.

It’s not easy, but it’s not
“The Deadliest Delivery”….
Hi,

When and how long did you deliver pkg(UPS)?

And in what conditions? Your credentials please....mine are well known......15 years pkg on a heavy industrial route with 50 pickups in +100 deg conditions 90% humidity. You belittle the pkg driver. Why? You also belittle Airline employees.

Thanks.

Here we go....

And where did I say "It's so hard to drive a truck and deliver stuff"?

And since you don't know me, what is my waist size-exactly now. You've personally attacked me(all note). #225

So, when all this talk about banning me gets going again....please review^^^^^^^^^^^being intellectually honest and all....I don't think fairness will even be considered.