Re-Classifying Couriers as Non-DOT

vantexan

College students, stay at home Moms, etc.
I used to think that too until I started seeing college students drop like flies. Some work, most look for something easier. How many stay at home moms will work the reload, etc? Of course FedEx will have a certain amount who'll deal with it all. The question is can they keep enough to effectively get the job done daily?

Serf

All 5 boroughs and parts of Westchester county are doing a hiring event. Half the slots were for Courier DOT, the other half Non DOT. Pay range from 17.56-18.33 to start. I would not have believed it, if I did not see it with my own eyes.

MAKAVELI

All 5 boroughs and parts of Westchester county are doing a hiring event. Half the slots were for Courier DOT, the other half Non DOT. Pay range from 17.56-18.33 to start. I would not have believed it, if I did not see it with my own eyes.
Do the non dot drivers have to take the drug test?

Artee

And physicals are cheap. The company would save more money by disqualifying unhealthy employees than they spend on physicals. $10 per physical isn't a major expense.

Its closer to $90-100 per physical. Though if they driver has no issues it should be only every other year and not a reoccurring yearly expense.

Artee

Never.

Limiting employees to non-dot status means they are unable to operate any other vehicle over 10k lbs. It's a major restriction on how to operate the business. It doesn't make sense to do it.

But then again, it is FedEx...

It doesn't make sense, but thats FDX. I was talking about this subject yesterday with a DGO manager and they figure its just another layer of crap they are going to have to get used to.

Artee

They will always have drivers.

Up until a couple months ago I would tend to agree with you. From what I have heard lately retention is becoming tougher. Two local stations going on a sick out after Thanksgiving. Two more getting a 15% pay increase through peak, to keep drivers from bailing at the busiest time of year. Handler group coming to a manager I know and letting him know they are about to all walk off the job. He asked them to stay, but told them they have to do what they have to do. So now 2 handlers left at a large station. All managers including the senior are out working the reloads. Just hired 10 people off the street to be handlers. How many will stay after peak? Ramp won't let people transfer. They cannot get people in fast enough to replace the ones that want to leave.

Didn't a couple of you Ground contractors have drivers leave for Express courier jobs? Didn't you say a few thought they made a mistake by going to Express and one came back to drive for ground? They found the grass isn't greener and its not much of a better job?

CJinx

No more random drug tests since no DOT license. If FedEx wanted to start their own drugs screen process they could, but doubtful they will.
They might. I had to take a drug screen when I was promoted. Not since, though, but it's in the policy that I can be ordered to do so if they suspect that I'm on drugs.

Artee

They might. I had to take a drug screen when I was promoted. Not since, though, but it's in the policy that I can be ordered to do so if they suspect that I'm on drugs.

I believe they were interested in the random dot drug tests, not the company guidelines. Will have to ask mgmt tonight what the company policy is.

Serf

That's good news. I hope Balco Labs gets my emails, I am trying to take performance enhancing drugs before peak. :biggrin:

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
It has to do with the new BMI checks at your physical and the associated hassle that brings on with the sleep apnea sleep tests. If you are on a CPAP you need to have records over the last 30 days. We have 10 guys that are not reporting they have sleep apnea on the DOT physical. They had to give one guy 30 days off so he could start using his machine again and bring in proof to the Dr. Anyone that does not have a need for a DOT license will be made non DOT and will be put in a corresponding vehicle.

Many trucking companies have been doing the BMI exam for a while although its been voluntary. Starting in 2014 its mandatory. Its caught 2 more of our people who were not previously diagnosed. They were given a 90 extension on their license and had to lose weight to get down past 35 on the BMI scale. At my physical last month the doc in the box told me the push over the last number of years has been blood pressure. Now its BMI and diabetes. He said in fact if you control diabetes with pills you no longer get a 2 years license. They have changed that to 1 year now.

Yep, the regulations are getting ridiculously strict. I spoke with an RTD who is 6'4" and weighs 225 lbs. No one would ever say that he is fat, chubby, or pudgy. Hell, Cam Newton is borderline obese, LOL!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yep, the regulations are getting ridiculously strict. I spoke with an RTD who is 6'4" and weighs 225 lbs. No one would ever say that he is fat, chubby, or pudgy. Hell, Cam Newton is borderline obese, LOL!

They have determined that obese OTR drivers account for most bad accidents involving trucks. It's not uncommon to see 300+ lb drivers whose primary exercise is lifting a fork to their mouth at the truck stop. This has little to do with why Fred is doing away with most DOT couriers, however...it's about saving him money and having the ability to skirt DOT hours of service regulations. That's why we don't have many W700s or 900s any more...replaced by Nissans, Sprinters, and Econolines.

Does the hand hurt...or do you like it up there?

vantexan

They have determined that obese OTR drivers account for most bad accidents involving trucks. It's not uncommon to see 300+ lb drivers whose primary exercise is lifting a fork to their mouth at the truck stop. This has little to do with why Fred is doing away with most DOT couriers, however...it's about saving him money and having the ability to skirt DOT hours of service regulations. That's why we don't have many W700s or 900s any more...replaced by Nissans, Sprinters, and Econolines.

Does the hand hurt...or do you like it up there?
But Fred isn't doing away with them. He, or others, most likely had lobbyists get an exemption for drivers of vehicles with less than 10,000 lbs GVWR. If it's allowed and works to the company's advantage why wouldn't they do it? I'm in an area that's so far from the station they had major problems covering it with the 14 hr rule before hiring me. They may also be covering areas with fewer employees due to attrition and need the exemption to do so. We all know why the attrition is happening, and working people to death will blow up in their faces, but then again some may want the OT.

hypo hanna

The 14 rule is the primary restriction in covering routes. FedEx doesn't want to hire enough people to staff a location so they lobby their buddies in Washington for an exemption.
Teamsters should be screaming bloody murder over this. It's bad for labor and its bad for the safety of our roads.