Rear view monitor picture quality

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
56AAF6D4-63EA-4340-9F80-B92E5E135F1B.jpeg
If you have one of the new package cars with a color rear view monitor, you have probably noticed the weird picture quality at night, with red ghost images in the corners of the screen.
This is caused by a design flaw.
Above the door of the new cars is a brush that is supposed to keep out the dust.
It is attached to the car with a bright, unpainted aluminum strip that is directly below the camera lens.
This strip reflects any available light, including the red top marker lights, back up into the camera lens which causes the ghost images.
I fixed this problem by putting black electrical tape over the strip. It made a huge improvement in the picture quality.
After peak is over I will ask the mechanic to paint it flat black or brown, but in the meanwhile the tape works just as well.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
View attachment 223852 If you have one of the new package cars with a color rear view monitor, you have probably noticed the weird picture quality at night, with red ghost images in the corners of the screen.
This is caused by a design flaw.
Above the door of the new cars is a brush that is supposed to keep out the dust.
It is attached to the car with a bright, unpainted aluminum strip that is directly below the camera lens.
This strip reflects any available light, including the red top marker lights, back up into the camera lens which causes the ghost images.
I fixed this problem by putting black electrical tape over the strip. It made a huge improvement in the picture quality.
After peak is over I will ask the mechanic to paint it flat black or brown, but in the meanwhile the tape works just as well.

Good catch. When I get a chance I will check my newer trucks for that strip and if they have it paint it brown.
Wow you really care way too much about your job
Write it up and let the mechanics deal with it.

At least this post wasn't about ORION.

This time of year I doubt any mechanic would have spent the time to figure out it was a reflection causing his issue. I would see if that camera operates and if it does good we are done.

“ not a safety concern, schedule for later repair, ok to drive” and I would move on to the safety and or road call concerns.

I treat a completely failed backup camera as a safety concern as a CYA thing but technically it’s not a FED item and the truck can operate without it.

Last edited:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I hope so
Wow.
I post a quick and easy 30-second tip to improve the performance of a piece of safety equipment and you have nothing better to do than to pile on the hate.
Did someone piss in your coffee this morning?
I am sorry for whatever happened to you that made you such a mean and bitter person.
I hope life gets better for you.

Johney

Wow.
I post a quick and easy 30-second tip to improve the performance of a piece of safety equipment and you have nothing better to do than to pile on the hate.
Did someone piss in your coffee this morning?
I am sorry for whatever happened to you that made you such a mean and bitter person.
I hope life gets better for you.
He's just pissed his last 8 ball had more cut in it then actual cocaine.

rod

Retired 22 years
[QUOTE="Redtag, post: 3838981, member: 70933

I treat a completely failed backup camera as a safety concern as a CYA thing but technically it’s not a FED item and the truck can operate without it.[/QUOTE]

I never had a truck with a back up camera. We used common sense when backing. Have I told you lately how tough we had it?

oldngray

nowhere special
[QUOTE="Redtag, post: 3838981, member: 70933

I treat a completely failed backup camera as a safety concern as a CYA thing but technically it’s not a FED item and the truck can operate without it.
[/QUOTE]

They didn't even have those cameras when you were driving. They are useful but not required.