Reasonable cause testing for package car drivers

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
i think the last sentence could use a bit of correction. The seasonal helper's notification of said comment to management caused at least two supervisors to observe the original poster's behavior. That observation preceded his being sent for a drug test. Just because he did not know he was being supervised did not mean it didn't happen.
Well, according to his story (spread out over 2 previous threads), the 2 supe observation would have been; when they sat him down in the office and accused him of stealing time (making a payment on his mobile phone bill), then asked him if he used heroin (which he vehemently denied; this was his window of opportunity to ask for rehab, slamming shut). Then they told him he was going for the drug test, and he realized he was screwed.

I suppose it's possible that his 'helper' was a 'super secret undercover supervisor' trained in observing and assessing employee behavior, and this is why the Local wouldn't defend him. But that's speculation on my part, not anything he posted.

Had to get this in before the lock.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
The real story is why the union didn't stand up for this guy.
We know the company is scum. Its unfortunate that the union isn't any better

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
The real story is why the union didn't stand up for this guy.
We know the company is scum. Its unfortunate that the union isn't any better
Based strictly on his side of the story, I agree with you in this case. He should have at least gone to panel and begged for his job. I have seen this here, lousy termination case, but at least it went to panel with a lackluster case presented.

(In before the lock, yesss!)

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

I am not asking if drugs are good or bad, I'm not asking for career advice or anyone's opinion as to if I'll ever fail another test, if I deserve a cdl, all I'd like to know is whether or not I'm required to take a class, see a sap before I apply for a cdl, I'm not applying, I have no need or use for a cdl at this point in my life, I would just rather go ahead and take whatever classes I may need to, see a sap if I'm required to so that if someday in the future I do want to get my cdls then there's no hold up from years ago.
At ups you register with the dot every year(you have to carry your dot card with your license) in order to drive cdl or non cdl trucks..........and yes you have to take a drug test to get a cdl.....and they will fail you for weed and any other drugs you may do

JustAnumber1

Coming from the guy who keeps confusing federal law and a union contract.

Enjoy unemployment. Hope they give you a stipend for dope.

I pasted the dot regulations, which you say I'm wrong about, they clearly say controlled substances, and you say I'm confusing the contract and the law. You say the dot regulations are referring to alcohol only, so why is there any mention of controlled substances? Please explain to me what I'm confusing? I think you are the one that's confused.

rweyant

i am guessing that you don't run the numbers and they tricked you into quitting. The worst possible outcome is for you to lose your job. so you just quit and took the worst possible outcome.

P

pickup

I pasted the dot regulations, which you say I'm wrong about, they clearly say controlled substances, and you say I'm confusing the contract and the law. You say the dot regulations are referring to alcohol only, so why is there any mention of controlled substances? Please explain to me what I'm confusing? I think you are the one that's confused.

I think he is the one with a job. You are the one without a job and confused about whether or not this failed drug test will haunt you in regards to future employment.

And he might or might not be confused about the exact dot regulations, but it is the equivalent of his being confused of what exactly to do when one finds oneself in quicksand. But since he isn't in it and has no reasonable expectations of being in it, he has no incentive to remove his confusion.

You , on the other hand, are already knee-deep in this quicksand and are still sinking. Educate yourself on the exact ramifications of your failed drug test and leave us out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

JustAnumber1

I think he is the one with a job. You are the one without a job and confused about whether or not this failed drug test will haunt you in regards to future employment.

And he might or might not be confused about the exact dot regulations, but it is the equivalent of his being confused of what exactly to do when one finds oneself in quicksand. But since he isn't in it and has no reasonable expectations of being in it, he has no incentive to remove his confusion.

You , on the other hand, are already knee-deep in this quicksand and are still sinking. Educate yourself on the exact ramifications of your failed drug test and leave us out of it.

Actually I do have a job, one that allows me to work at my leisure and my confusion was whether or not I had to see a sap in the event that I ever wanted to work in the industry again. I came hear seeking eduction. I don't remember ever asking you specifically anything, I certainly didn't ask for your opinion on what I should do with my life. I never worked at ups for the paycheck, the insurance was my incentive but I've got some obamacare now. As far as needing to look for a job, thankfully, in my pot induced stupor, I was still smart enough to sock away all the $ that I never needed while working at ups, so, I should be solvent for approximately the next 7 years. You enjoy working tomorrow, I'll be skiing. Sorry to disappoint you but I think I'll take this time to see the world, do some traveling that my schedule at ups wouldn't allow. So many assumptions made and most of them are completely wrong. The drug test doesn't haunt me and I'm far from the bread line. I learned a long time ago to pay myself first, that was good advice that I took to heart. Now, I'm not in quicksand, I'm in a transition, and as I've already stated, I have several years before I'm In a situation that warrants me having to look for a job or take one I don't want. The only thing that haunts me is the time I lost at ups, I should have gone on to grad school a long time ago.

JustAnumber1

i am guessing that you don't run the numbers and they tricked you into quitting. The worst possible outcome is for you to lose your job. so you just quit and took the worst possible outcome.

I was told by my ba that I didn't want to have this on a resume and that resigning would close my file, so that any future employer would not be able to see anything negative, or positive for that matter. It would simply showed that I worked for ups and resigned for personal reasons. I was adamant that I would fight to the end and take my chance at panel but my ba said I would never make it to panel, the union would not fight my discharge. So, I ended up just resigning because I was made to feel like that was my best possible option. I don't know if I was tricked or not, looking back, I think maybe I should have continued to fight. I never wanted to make a career out of ups, I got complacent and it was decent money, so while most of my friends were obtaining advanced degrees, I opted to work at ups and be satisfied with a better than average blue collar job. I see this as a negative situation that I got myself into but it will have a happy ending. I am in the process of studying for the lsat in June and hopefully will find a law school somewhere that will accept a pothead like myself. At the very least, I will be going back to school.

P

pickup

Actually I do have a job, one that allows me to work at my leisure and my confusion was whether or not I had to see a sap in the event that I ever wanted to work in the industry again. I came hear seeking eduction. I don't remember ever asking you specifically anything, I certainly didn't ask for your opinion on what I should do with my life. I never worked at ups for the paycheck, the insurance was my incentive but I've got some obamacare now. As far as needing to look for a job, thankfully, in my pot induced stupor, I was still smart enough to sock away all the $ that I never needed while working at ups, so, I should be solvent for approximately the next 7 years. You enjoy working tomorrow, I'll be skiing. Sorry to disappoint you but I think I'll take this time to see the world, do some traveling that my schedule at ups wouldn't allow. So many assumptions made and most of them are completely wrong. The drug test doesn't haunt me and I'm far from the bread line. I learned a long time ago to pay myself first, that was good advice that I took to heart. Now, I'm not in quicksand, I'm in a transition, and as I've already stated, I have several years before I'm In a situation that warrants me having to look for a job or take one I don't want. The only thing that haunts me is the time I lost at ups, I should have gone on to grad school a long time ago.

True, you didn't specifically ask me to respond to this thread , on the other hand, you didn't specifically ask me not to. You came here seeking education and we certainly tried to give some to you, but you keep clinging to your delusion(one delusion amongst many) that you were never observed by two supervisors when that was not the case.

Yes I did enjoy working that day while you were skiing, despite the hindsight knowledge that my work was helping to subsidize your ObamaCare.

I see from your another post of yours that you are planning to enter Law School. Great , just what the world needs.... another lawyer. A wanna be lawyer who can't even figure out how his failed drug test affects his chances of working in a blue collar industry that he claims he has no desire or need of being part of.

You may want to research the job prospects of graduating lawyers especially in regards of ability of repaying those student loans. My suggestion is instead of posting on a law school related thread on another board is that you actually get down in the bushes and do the research yourself instead of trying to pull more people into your boat that floats on DeNile.

Take care.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pickup

And if you don't like my responses to your responses, feel free to use the ignore function so that you don't have to read what I posted.

JustAnumber1

True, you didn't specifically ask me to respond to this thread , on the other hand, you didn't specifically ask me not to. You came here seeking education and we certainly tried to give some to you, but you keep clinging to your delusion(one delusion amongst many) that you were never observed by two supervisors when that was not the case.

Yes I did enjoy working that day while you were skiing, despite the hindsight knowledge that my work was helping to subsidize your ObamaCare.

I see from your another post of yours that you are planning to enter Law School. Great , just what the world needs.... another lawyer. A wanna be lawyer who can't even figure out how his failed drug test affects his chances of working in a blue collar industry that he claims he has no desire or need of being part of.

You may want to research the job prospects of graduating lawyers especially in regards of ability of repaying those student loans. My suggestion is instead of posting on a law school related thread on another board is that you actually get down in the bushes and do the research yourself instead of trying to pull more people into your boat that floats on DeNile.

Take care.

Were you there? When was I observed by two supervisors? I do appreciate you working to subsidize my obamacare. Job prospects for law career, I'd say they're about 100% as I already have a standing offer at a firm. Student loan debt, will be minimal, I purchased enough stock while at ups to pay for a law degree and said firm is willing to pay for anything I'm not able too. You should not assume to know so much about me, my life, or my finances. As I've stated before, I never worked at ups for the money, never needed it, the insurance was nice and it was a great place to waste time figuring out my next move in life. Again, when you go to work monday, I'll be going to New York city, because I saved my money, I have never lived paycheck to paycheck like so many, like I assume you do, one paycheck away from being delinquent on your mortgage. So I am now able to enjoy my freedom, I'm able to travel and do things my schedule at ups wouldn't permit. Please work hard Monday and for the rest of your days, as I'm looking forward to the pension I earned while at ups, so it's still in my best interest that the company remain financially strong.
As far as the information I came here seeking, thankfully, there were much more helpful responses than yours, my questions were answered. I am not in denial of anything. I was interested in whether or not I was required to or needed to take a class. That question was answered long before you chimed in.
The world will always need ditch diggers and I'm glad you know your lot in life, mine however, is not what you have assumed. I'm going to travel and see many things that I have always dreamed of while you worry about keeping your supervisors happy. I'm sorry to disappoint you but resigning from ups was probably the best decision I have ever made, I spent 8 years being complacent, thinking like you that ups was a good place to work and have a career, you probably consider yourself lucky to make the money you do, I on the other hand always felt I was selling myself short, I have always known that I am meant to accomplish more, I've just taken the long way to get there.

542thruNthru

Were you there? When was I observed by two supervisors? I do appreciate you working to subsidize my obamacare. Job prospects for law career, I'd say they're about 100% as I already have a standing offer at a firm. Student loan debt, will be minimal, I purchased enough stock while at ups to pay for a law degree and said firm is willing to pay for anything I'm not able too. You should not assume to know so much about me, my life, or my finances. As I've stated before, I never worked at ups for the money, never needed it, the insurance was nice and it was a great place to waste time figuring out my next move in life. Again, when you go to work monday, I'll be going to New York city, because I saved my money, I have never lived paycheck to paycheck like so many, like I assume you do, one paycheck away from being delinquent on your mortgage. So I am now able to enjoy my freedom, I'm able to travel and do things my schedule at ups wouldn't permit. Please work hard Monday and for the rest of your days, as I'm looking forward to the pension I earned while at ups, so it's still in my best interest that the company remain financially strong.
As far as the information I came here seeking, thankfully, there were much more helpful responses than yours, my questions were answered. I am not in denial of anything. I was interested in whether or not I was required to or needed to take a class. That question was answered long before you chimed in.
The world will always need ditch diggers and I'm glad you know your lot in life, mine however, is not what you have assumed. I'm going to travel and see many things that I have always dreamed of while you worry about keeping your supervisors happy. I'm sorry to disappoint you but resigning from ups was probably the best decision I have ever made, I spent 8 years being complacent, thinking like you that ups was a good place to work and have a career, you probably consider yourself lucky to make the money you do, I on the other hand always felt I was selling myself short, I have always known that I am meant to accomplish more, I've just taken the long way to get there.

Ya looks like you have really moved on. Yet you keep coming back here and answering old posts.

For someone that says a law firm wants them so bad they will pay your student loans. You didn't seem to be able to decipher the contract and realize you were SOL while you cried to us about it.

Do yourself a favor and move on and stop trying to convince a bunch of people on the Internet you are going to be some big shot globe traveler.

JustAnumber1

Ya looks like you have really moved on. Yet you keep coming back here and answering old posts.

For someone that says a law firm wants them so bad they will pay your student loans. You didn't seem to be able to decipher the contract and realize you were SOL while you cried to us about it.

Do yourself a favor and move on and stop trying to convince a bunch of people on the Internet you are going to be some big shot globe traveler.

I'm sorry, I can't help myself from being drawn back. Like watching jerry springer I guess, you're right, this is an old post, yet you took time from your busy day to bother yourself with me, thanks.
I am able to decipher the contract, my complaint was that the contract was violated yet my local wouldn't fight it.
I didnt day the law firm would pay my student loans, I said I wouldn't need any student loans and that whatever I was short, the law from would cover the rest.
As far as being a big shot globe traveler, maybe the places I've been and mentioned did impress you, I'm sure my travels are impressive to soemone that has never been 60 miles from home. I haven't tried to impress anyone with my travels or convince anyone that I'm a global traveler. I was simply trying to point out to so many's dismay that I am not destitute, I did not quit the job of a lifetime and I am not bound by the same chains as you. I heard ups described as tying you down with golden handcuffs, I understand that to mean people are scared to leave because of the money they make. So many here, yourself especially, seem to think that they have beaten the game and that ups pays them far more than they are worth. I'm sure you think that you're earning far more than you deserve, in your case, you're right. So better stay at ups, your options are limited, your potential is minimal and your kids are counting on you. You're mortgaged to the hilt and you dare not piss off management for fear of losing everything. I'm thankful not to be in your position, I'm glad my bills are paid and im happy to pursue whatever dream I choose. Enjoy mediocrity, be thankful for your suburban home and kiss management ass tomorrow. Don't worry yourself with me, I'll be enjoying myself doing whatever I choose.

Last edited:
F

FrigidAdCorrector

This is going to be fun!
I already have a standing offer at a firm.
Sure ya do. Coming from the guy who couldn't even google DOT regulations..
Student loan debt, will be minimal, I purchased enough stock while at ups to pay for a law degree and said firm is willing to pay for anything I'm not able too.
Right. Because law firms want nothing more than ex UPS drivers who got canned for drugs. Scoop em up and pay for them to go to college.
I never worked at ups for the money, never needed it, the insurance was nice and it was a great place to waste time figuring out my next move in life.
I might buy this if you were a PTer. Don't buy it from someone who worked for 8 years as a driver.
as I'm looking forward to the pension I earned while at ups,
You mean the millions you have saved up aren't going to get you through the rest of your life?
The world will always need ditch diggers
Is that what you told yourself when you applied for the landscaping job you now have?
I spent 8 years being complacent
You are on quite the high horse.
I have always known that I am meant to accomplish more, I've just taken the long way to get there.
You had to resign because you took drugs. That's accomplishing more?

I haven't tried to impress anyone with my travels or convince anyone that I'm a global traveler.
Except you just did.

I'm sure my travels are impressive to soemone that has never been 60 miles from home.

So let me get this straight. A law firm hired a driver who had to resign because of drugs because he couldn't argue his way out of the position he was in. Meanwhile said driver has years and years of money saved up that will not only fund him living comfortably and allowing him to go on expensive vacations, but will pay for him to go to law school and become an attorney for a big name law firm.

I think you've been watching Suits on Hulu. Delivery guy caught in a sticky position because of drugs, walks into an interview with NYC's biggest and best lawyer, gets the job at the fancy law firm, and makes a ton of money in the process. If you didn't get this all from suits you should at least write a tv show because this is friggin gold.

JustAnumber1

This is going to be fun!

Sure ya do. Coming from the guy who couldn't even google DOT regulations..

Right. Because law firms want nothing more than ex UPS drivers who got canned for drugs. Scoop em up and pay for them to go to college.

I might buy this if you were a PTer. Don't buy it from someone who worked for 8 years as a driver.

You mean the millions you have saved up aren't going to get you through the rest of your life?

Is that what you told yourself when you applied for the landscaping job you now have?

You are on quite the high horse.

You had to resign because you took drugs. That's accomplishing more?

Except you just did.

So let me get this straight. A law firm hired a driver who had to resign because of drugs because he couldn't argue his way out of the position he was in. Meanwhile said driver has years and years of money saved up that will not only fund him living comfortably and allowing him to go on expensive vacations, but will pay for him to go to law school and become an attorney for a big name law firm.

I think you've been watching Suits on Hulu. Delivery guy caught in a sticky position because of drugs, walks into an interview with NYC's biggest and best lawyer, gets the job at the fancy law firm, and makes a ton of money in the process. If you didn't get this all from suits you should at least write a tv show because this is friggin gold.

I posted the dot regulations, clearly stating controlled substances, which you say it doesn't, yet you still claim I'm the one that can't comprehend? Did you not read the regulations?

(b) An employer shall require a driver to submit to a controlled substances test when the employer hasreasonable suspicion to believe that the driver has violated the prohibitions of subpart B of this part concerning controlled substances. The employer's determination that reasonable suspicion exists to require the driver to undergo a controlled substances test must be based on specific, contemporaneous, articulable observations concerning the appearance, behavior, speech or body odors of the driver. The observations may includeindications of the chronic and withdrawal effects of controlled substances.

There they are again, you're still trying to convince yourself that doesn't say controlled substances, ok.

I don't know what law firms want, I do know that I have a standing offer at a law firm. Never said they would pay me to go to college, they are willing to help me with tuition if I am not able to pay it all myself.

I was never a full time driver, I was driving full time for peak, I have stated this before, another example that you need to work on your reading comprehension skills.

Don't have millions saved up, have enough to pay for most, if not all the expenses I would incur attending law school.

Haha, another incorrect presumption, I actually work for the law firm I've made reference to, worked there after I got off of my part time job at ups.

I suppose I am on a high horse, if that's what you call confidence.

I didn't have to resign, that's why it's called a resignation. I did choose to resign, because my local would not do its job and I always knew ups wasn't someplace I wanted a career. I had become complacent.

Nope, haven't tried to impress anyone, just illustrating that I'm far from being in a breadline, far from destitute and that I am taking advantage of the freedom I never had at ups.

So you can "get it straight", I was employed by the law firm prior to my resignation, they didn't just hire me. Yes, I do have enough money saved up to live comfortably for years and years, or fund a j.d., but you are kind of right, I don't have enough to do both. You're wrong once again about the big name law firm, it's actaully a small law firm, but it sure does provide a comfortable living for all of it's employees and a lot less stress than ups. If my life sounds like it came from a tv series, what can I say, it's not a bad life, I certainly enjoy it.