Removing EDD (RDO) as an option

Grey

Thank God I have a mall route and never really have to look at my EDD. Idk how these swing drivers covering routes they don’t know are doing it. It’s completely unfair to them.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
Imagine taking someone off the street, and throwing them into a bricked out truck loaded by RDO, and expect them to deliver using ODO. You would have all the usual stress associated with learning this job, plus the insanity of Orion.
But you have a map on the board now, that should help. Oh wait the board will only last 5 hours with 10 hours of work

margaritaville

What i don't get is orion is suppose to make it easier for cut drivers. A regular driver can adjust. But if you are a driver that doesn't know the route it has you running across 5 lanes of traffic, delivering biz between 12-1 and after 5, and climbing over mountains to look for something on your 5000 shelf that probably fell on the floor and is under two huge irregs. Like it is mind boggling stupid to force it. They have got to be testing this in a perfectly loaded walk through truck. Once your truck is half empty, orion wouldnt be AS bad but even then those extra steps walking back to a package further back vs grabbing your next package right infront adds up in time too. Just painfully stupid ignorance.

Doubleparkedrunner

Yo Mo! Winner winner chicken dinner!!! This is a scare tactic that the company thinks will make us replaceable and scare us from a no vote! Vote no!!!! Trust me, they know wtf they are doing. Yeah, we’ll turn ORION off if you vote yes. More money for all of us, and less stops, leave it on and vote no!!!!

The funny thing is they are ALMOST technically correct in assuming that any monkey off the street could follow this system as well as we can/could.

The problem with their theory is that they are using the lowest common denominator to compare a dope off the street too grizzled ups package vet.

In other words; if we follow Orion 100% we will do just as poorly as the fresh meat off the street.

Our real value is that we CAN produce at an absurdly higher clip then what Orion would have us do if we were just left to our own devices to get the job done.
....The DOPES OFF the Street CAN NOT !!!

So, think about it; At how much of a percentage did your level of production go down today using this facking stupid system? If it was ,say, 30% less today , THAT was only the beginning of how bad it can get. Because I'm sure almost all of us tried to "fix" the problem on the fly (and were successful ) so that 30% number is with us actually NOT following Orion 100%.

Now this is where the UPS wannabe illuminatis should be shatting themselves in their high rise conference rooms....

If the 30% number is with us trying to fix their stupidity then what would it be if we truly, truly, truly just said friend-it , I'll follow Orion 100%
...it would be much , much worse.

Lol, and guess what big shot decision makers...

You're " anyone can do this job " mantra doesn't hold water as the lowest common denominator theory proves that the off the street people with a pulse that actually don't quit after a week or two at this place are ONLY CAPAaBLE of OUR WORST perfemonce levels.

They'd better go back to the drawing board if they want higher profit margins cuz this will only give them the reverse.

Brisket

Was just thinking, after the contract is ratified, presto-change-o, rdo option will be back.

You mean once they realize the ‘oopsie’ of turning it off in the first place, coupled with the multitude of service failures with businesses being buried in the 8k shelf?

Doubleparkedrunner

What they never understand is that its not just about the miles. The computer will never be able to know that i hit a traffic jam and decided to drop into a neigborhood and get some stops off until it clears or what time the parents start lining up at the school to pick up their kids making delivery nearly impossible. And most importantly the scrambling of my route everyday diminishes what I consider the most important aspect of my job....my customers...they used to be able to set their watches by what time I wouls show up each day...now its a different time everyday...Im losing the connction with my customers, which IMHO makes it alot easier for them to use another delivery company.

The bean counters in charge haven't got around to calculating intangibles such as customer relations, tardiness, damaged packages and overall decline in service.
Sadly, it will hit them across the forehead when it's finally too late.

Doubleparkedrunner

First 2 pics are same day, last is another.

EVERY day is like this on my route. 180-190 stops with pickups and 300-340 delivery packages in 50-55 miles...

And management threaten diciplinary action for bouncing around to a few commercial/residential bulk stops so you can empty space to organize and walk the truck.

What would happen if you did it 100% compliant?
I think it would b great to see. Most likely ending up with the route adding multiple hours and management NoT threatening discipline because you DID 100% comply.

I have a feeling all it would take is one day of total compliance for UPS management to either leave you lane or to try and fix he route by taking a bit off.

opey

orion literally breaks up solid blocks of pickups and has you go do 1-2 then break off back to your resi section, which could be a mile or more away, to go and do 3-4 resi stops then back for 2 more pickups then back to resi then back to pickups. its mind boggling how, even by computer standards, that this could possibly make sense in terms of saving miles or time. when in reality the pickups are all done one after another in a solid 1.5-2 hour block. it also had a 1730 pickup placed before a 1550 pickup (and all the others after)