Removing EDD (RDO) as an option

Thegameisrigged

Word is that starting tomorrow RDO will be gone in our center. Orion only.

Of course they'll still be loading the trucks in RDO order.

You can't fix stupid. This place is going to make me a wealthy man.
They took ours yesterday. It was awful. I finished 2 hours later then usual. It was painful following it when I knew better.

Grey

orion literally breaks up solid blocks of pickups and has you go do 1-2 then break off back to your resi section, which could be a mile or more away, to go and do 3-4 resi stops then back for 2 more pickups then back to resi then back to pickups. its mind boggling how, even by computer standards, that this could possibly make sense in terms of saving miles or time. when in reality the pickups are all done one after another in a solid 1.5-2 hour block. it also had a 1730 pickup placed before a 1550 pickup (and all the others after)

I got the dispatcher to move all my pickups to 1600 or later. It clears things up a little bit.

Thegameisrigged

Have you guys noticed that everyone didn’t start really complaining about how awful Orion is until they took RDO as an option? This just means that they weren’t using it. I wasn’t either. It’s that bad. I keep reading where it’s said that ups saved so much money using Orion. How would that be true if it seems as if drivers weren’t even using it? I say those ups reps are lying.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Have you guys noticed that everyone didn’t start really complaining about how awful Orion is until they took RDO as an option? This just means that they weren’t using it. I wasn’t either. It’s that bad. I keep reading where it’s said that ups saved so much money using Orion. How would that be true if it seems as if drivers weren’t even using it? I say those ups reps are lying.
I used Orion as a tool, but not the only tool. I’m just glad I developed a great deal of area knowledge. Some of these other split drivers are so screwed.

Thegameisrigged

I used Orion as a tool, but not the only tool. I’m just glad I developed a great deal of area knowledge. Some of these other split drivers are so screwed.
Well it’s a disaster over where I am. 200+ stops with 320-360 pieces and not small pieces. I scratch everyday and beat the miles. Yesterday I used it because RDO is gone and... crash and burned.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Well it’s a disaster over where I am. 200+ stops with 320-360 pieces and not small pieces. I scratch everyday and beat the miles. Yesterday I used it because RDO is gone and... crash and burned.
I’m not saying Orion is great. It had me working back and forth across a busy four lane street during the lunch hour yesterday. And I followed it to prove a point (and be two hours over).

RPCD

Lots of problems with ORION. My center has been "no RDO" for about 2 months now. Center manager is fine with people turning it off. ("I will always be OK with that, sir!") They tried to "fix" my ORION when it first came out on my route, which resulted in it being even more screwed up. They had it decent for a few days and the PT dispatch guy quit so it was downhill from there.

I can honestly see how it COULD work well- nobody followed rdo exactly before did they? If this new update they keep talking about ever happens, I should be able to get off air, bulk, irregs, apt complexes (just because I'm there and have time and space that day), or business, etc. and THEN, when I have space to work and plan, re-optimize the route and run a chunk from there. Most of the time my problems on my route stem from a really bad RDO, combined with the fact that the dispatch manager doesn't have enough help or hours himself to fix it.

It drives me bat :censored2: crazy when ORION is working me in a certain direction to do something I've already done, and doing stupid :censored2: on the way, like crossing major streets 17 times, driving past stops 7x to save them for later, (I guess?) And especially acting like I'm backed up in the driveway at every stop. There really needs to be some kind of vehicle direction factor added in to this billion(s?) dollar algorithm.

The guy who sold this crap to UPS should work for BD, they'd never need to ask us for leads again.

Final point! - They might have tried to reduce miles by... I don't know... Asking the drivers to reduce miles?!? Before ORION started my on-car was telling me to run extra miles to lower my over-under. Simply changing the focus of these golden metrics I have to hear so much about might have saved the company more money, since we all know we could run less miles than this program could.

Pro tip: tell them to "tighten up" those pickups, to make the commit and the close time the same in ORION. (It won't change the times in the board) it won't work you towards or away from the pickup, it'll break off wherever you are, go straight there, and come right back where you left off. Helps me with a smart PU that cancels everyday, amongst others.

Heavy Package

Is there anywhere where orion actually works?

Yes. I scored 1,000,000,000 points on UPS Grand Theft Package Car at Integrad. Got me a free pair of socks. Got all my air off on the game using ORION when no one else in the class could. BOO-YAH!

screen-shot-2017-08-15-at-8-55-59-am.png

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Today the bell tolls.....and by bell I mean 9.5 compliance. It’s like 9.5 compliance and ORION complains have entered the Thunder Dome. Two “metrics” enter one will leave.......now the real fun begins.

The Driver

I drive.
More stupid today.

Passing up logical stops... Wants me to back up in driveways... Has me get cul-de-sacs on the left and make a left out of them for no good reason... lunch not programmed in properly, schools and businesses at the end of the day.

STUPID

Dumbo

Today Orion had me driving 6 miles to where my pickups were to do one pickup because it had a time of 1430 (even though they close at 6), then coming back to the route, delivering 5 resis, then driving back for another pickup. Can't make this :censored2: up. 12 miles for 2 pickups and 5 resis.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If ORION planned a military campaign, it would carpet-bomb its own troops with napalm in order to cut 4 miles off of the friend-18’s flight plan.
And then David Abney would hold a press conference to proclaim victory and hand out medals to his management team.