Rental truck

PPH_over_9000

Besides the no rearview camera, having to get out and pull up the rollup door in the back without a bulkhead door is kind of annoying.

A little bit, yeah.... especially when you get one of the rentals with a sticky door, and end up having to hang from the strap and use your body weight to pull it down.

I just use that as ammunition when a supe' asks me what the hell I was doing all day. I also invested in a Garmin GPS for my chase days so, granted, I've made the rentals a little bit more bearable for myself. Lately I've been running irregs and stragglers left in the building and then chasing the rest of the day, maybe a few pick-ups or UPS stores at the end of the day.

Did 44 stops today, 337 miles. Just got home a few minutes ago, lol. It's a nice change of pace to go from rapid fire deliveries to ~15-25mi between stops. Every day's a road trip. It also helps that I found this sweet little app called Zeo Route Planner. You just input your start and finish location, add all your stops and hit "Optimize" and that :censored2: plans a route so much better than Orion ever has for me. It's been a lifesaver these past few weeks.

Last edited:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
In my center, they tend to favor putting the new guys in package cars, because the box trucks are generally more difficult to handle. Management is always pointing out that there's no rear camera, you have to exit the vehicle on the traffic side, and the scramble to the higher truck bed is ripe for a twisted ankle or some other mishap.

No telematics
Put 15 stops in the cab and go

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

Is it bad to have a 9 hour day in a rental truck when it takes you a hour to get to your neighborhood hood and a hour back to the hub and a hour break so really I guess it’s 6 hours so 108 stops in 6 hours in a rental is that good or bad?
During the worst day of covid I had 600 stops and 1200 pieces in a rental. I sheeted 500 stops missed in 3 1/2 hours, is that good or bad?

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
During the worst day of covid I had 600 stops and 1200 pieces in a rental. I sheeted 500 stops missed in 3 1/2 hours, is that good or bad?
EDEE71B6-A3F9-44BB-A87E-C698312FC264.jpeg

Steamer

Is it bad to have a 9 hour day in a rental truck when it takes you a hour to get to your neighborhood hood and a hour back to the hub and a hour break so really I guess it’s 6 hours so 108 stops in 6 hours in a rental is that good or bad?

Pretty good. When I was seasonal doing the rental truck I would organize kind of like the shelves in a package car. It does slide around a lot and make a mess more but you can put 1000s in a row, 2000s and so on. Just make piles of the same numbers. It does work somewhat. I would grab like 10 stops when in the truck and put them near the overhead. Also put those 10 in stop order. Then when I stopped I could just open the overhead for those 10 stops without jumping in the van all day taking the risk of being injured. Plus it's faster. To be honest with you. They really don't care how fast you are right now. Of course they want speed. But they want safety first. It won't get you qualified being faster. Trust me. I was killing it in the van and it didn't help. I got into a package car this summer season scratching out with an hour under and such. That's the only way I made it. They are just looking for people to hump the packages for the season. They aren't really looking for new hires as much as you think. When January hits they won't need the extra help. Just be persistent and keep putting yourself out there in time they might hire you. Then again you might be one of the lucky two they might keep. I know I'm the only one of many that made it to full time out of my class for our center that season. One guy was supposed to be full time from the start. He still disqualified.

Last edited:

ouanling

Guess I got lucky then, off the street and made seniority after a few months this year.
off the street, had my own area with 80-140 stops everyday after a week

Im on a bid route right now, not even a year in. Not sure how long but i've been told at least a few more months. Don't see why i'd lose it anyways , if someone wanted it they could have taken my area during all these months.

2 friends at the depot with the same story but we were all the best workers on rentals. Efficient, educated, non whiny(asking for more overtime) and not too slow.

Everyone else that started with us are still doing pretty much :censored2: no one wants in rentals, i guess most people that dont progress well are just not what sups are looking for. None of us lets the sup walk over us, we just work well within the parameters we're offered and have a good middle class look.

Zowert

Lol
They got another one
If he’s killing it in a rental they just might keep him on after peak, that’s the type of drivers they want, run n gun. I was a seasonal driver running stops off then I got on as RPCD and slowed way down. That was in 2016-17 tho, 22.4 was a thing.

barnyard

KTM rider
When I had a rental, I would line the stops up across the back, deliver those and line up the next however many fit. I had a tote in the front passenger seat for smalls and would keep that full.

The best part of a rental is great heat and a radio.

ManInBrown

Never understood how someone could work out of a rental anytime of the year, forget about at peak. When I used to see them loading those trucks as neat as possible I would just laugh to myself. First turn everything falls into the middle. I’d rather work out of a 5 cube with 400 pieces.

ouanling

Never understood how someone could work out of a rental anytime of the year, forget about at peak. When I used to see them loading those trucks as neat as possible I would just laugh to myself. First turn everything falls into the middle. I’d rather work out of a 5 cube with 400 pieces.
the system i had in mine allowed the stacked boxes to fall into a :censored2: pile that was close enough that with the description of each packages i could easily find what i needed

took 2hrs to load though
never again, i'd just go home if they asked me to use a rental again.

2 months ago my truck got red tagged and they gave me a rental for the day with 2 flat tires, i just left with 40 stops and i guess that was very generous of me

Sheikyrbouti

When they put me in a rental they know I will be back at sundown. Stepping into traffic is unsafe during daylight hours let alone after dark. Nothing has been said about it so I guess it’s ok lol.