Repeat of 2013 peak?

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Who will get the blame this peak...Amazon or us?
200GN63U0LD.gif

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
They won't let helpers travel between driver in their own vehicles by me. They say its an insurance liability.

It's not an insurance liability, it's just that the helper is legally entitled to be paid for the commute time between drivers + receive mileage reimbursement. Paying out $$$ -- ANY $$$ -- toward direct labor without receiving any production is a huge no-no theoretically. In actuality, UPS would probably recover that money fairly quickly if it has reliable/quality help.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
What are the chances ups tries to hire some more people after this week?
We have 4 guys going to class tomorrow. Actually interviewed 2 more this evening. We're not stopping. Our problem pretty soon won't be people. It will be vehicles. Sure we have rentals. But we have no way to load anymore vehicles whatsoever.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Too much volume for the amount of help you have. Really, what we need is more routes on the street, but how do you do that since training takes a long time? We got temp drivers that have been working months now and still can't do more than what would be a code 5 for the regular driver.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I predict the volume will taper off after this initial surge and be steady until a few days before Christmas. Black Friday and Cyber Monday are over.

10 point

Too much volume for the amount of help you have. Really, what we need is more routes on the street, but how do you do that since training takes a long time? We got temp drivers that have been working months now and still can't do more than what would be a code 5 for the regular driver.
They need to pull the larger bulk stops of the bids and stuff them into those rental cube trucks and put the seasonal drivers in them.

Trying to deliver 150- 180+ stops out of those albatrosses with out shelves is like playing golf in a closet.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
They need to pull the larger bulk stops of the bids and stuff them into those rental cube trucks and put the seasonal drivers in them.

Trying to deliver 150- 180+ stops out of those albatrosses with out shelves is like playing golf in a closet.

Yep I've been carrying 150-160 in a rental. I'm not complaining but don't ask for anymore out of me.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
We have 4 guys going to class tomorrow. Actually interviewed 2 more this evening. We're not stopping. Our problem pretty soon won't be people. It will be vehicles. Sure we have rentals. But we have no way to load anymore vehicles whatsoever.
C'mon man
That's a defeatist attitude!!!

ups1990

I predict the volume will taper off after this initial surge and be steady until a few days before Christmas. Black Friday and Cyber Monday are over.
This has been my sentiment for the week. I've never seen packages left on the slide and on the floor in every center after drivers have left on December 1st due to extremely heavy volume. We both could be wrong, it's hard to imagine this type of volume coming in for another month.

The look on some of our new and semi- new drivers last night at 10pm was a look of defeat and dejection. I say to them, look around at all of these veteran drivers coming back at the same time as you guys! Hey, don't feel defeated because tomorrow we're all coming back and doing this thing again.

I hope UPS has a plan to reign in those shippers that will not doubt pull a 2013 and will guarantee their customers packages will arrive by Xmas, knowing this company has told them otherwise

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
What are the official rules regarding working you after you run out of DOT hours?
Can they make you work as a helper?
Do you need to be on property, or can you go out?
Anyone know the actual law or contractual agreement?
What if I have 8 hours left on Friday?
Don't I have the right to pull my own route until out of hours?
You can do all the work you want or they want after 60 hours, you just cannot drive.

So for example, say you start at 6 a.m. Monday helping preload, then begin driving at 9 a.m., drive for no more than 11 hours returning to the building at exactly 8 p.m. reaching 14 hours on duty. (assume no meal for ease of calculation) Now you jump for 4 more hours until 12 p.m. where you clock out. Now you cannot drive until 10 hours off duty. You repeat this for 3 more days and on Thursday you only have 6 driving hours available so you start at 9 a.m.then stop driving at 3 p.m. Now you jump for 9 more hours putting you at 69 hours. You are only allowed 60 in a 7 day period so now you cannot drive again until you satisfy the 34 hour restart provision, so 10 a.m. Saturday you will have hours available to drive. If you continue to work, but not drive, within the 7 day period you will not be in violation unless you drive without satisfying the 34 hour restart.

This is why hours worked at a second job count toward your HOS, even if you do not have a second driving job. Everyone records and reports those hours, don't they?

The regulations are all in FMCSA 49 CFR Part 395

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Really no way?

You run rollers from the belt to the outside of the building and load trucks outside.

Yes I know where you live.