Requests for 8 hr days

G

gadistrict

ok2be -
You are right. That really pertains more to covering regular drivers who are out on vacation, not 8 hr day requests. However, there are ways around the whole appearing to be underdispatched.

It isn't endoresed by UPS nor is it official operating practices but... What I've seen happen in the past, and I'm not saying we do this at my center
wink5.gif
is the ctr will dispatch the truck with the minimum amount of stops needed according to EDD. Then we have the friend/t preload sup go around to the drivers who are supposed to have 8 hr days, and take some pkgs off and give them to other drivers in the area who could run them. And since this is done to help ensure the driver truely gets an 8 hour day, other drivers are coopertive cause they know that when it comes to be their turn, they'll get the same treatment. And if the adding of packages makes a driver heavy and he/she needs help, the ctr mgr personally makes sure that driver gets the help needed. Usually sending an on-car sup out for a while gets it done, or other guys in the same loop will help out with P/Us. Once again, this only works because it is done consistantly, and no driver really gets screwed over with too much work. And as long as it is done consistantly, it keeps everyone happy.

O

ok2bclever

Hey, counts being off from last minute scrambling to dispatch happens.
biggrin.gif

I'd call that great cooperation to make the company run more smoothly and what isn't shoved in the face of the bean counters up high doesn't cause them any indigestion.

P

proups

gadistrict: what happens when your "two hour over allowed" driver requests the 8 hour day?

O

ok2bclever

We all know there are tons of "two hours overallowed " drivers under innacurate standards, especially since Diadgate.
biggrin.gif

Why worry about handling them in regards to something as petty as 8 hour requests.

If the driver is truly 2 hours over allowed then ride with them, train them where they need to improve or fire them for dishonesty if they are scratch with the supervisor and two hours over alone.

The contract states a driver requesting 8 hours is to be relieved from work after 8 hours, period.

It doesn't say "as long as he has a great day" or "if things go bad that day or the weather is terrible the driver is required to work over 8 hours and the request is voided".

It says 8 hours, period.

You get the driver out in 8 hours.

If the driver is screwing the company, that is an entirely different issue and the company is fully within it's rights, nay, obligation to rid itself and the workforce of a dishonest employee.

Just don't use the possibility as a smokescreen for violating all the driver's rights regarding the contract.

Specifically in this instance, their right to an official 8 hour request day.

U

upsdude

In my building the delivery sup looks at the previous days operation report and multiplies the SPORH by 8 to get an 8-hour day. The standards are so out of line this seems to be a good way of getting a baseline. Up until a couple of months ago the 8-hour request generated a grievance because the previous manager ignored them. In a strange twist, the new manager (a very strict, hard core, brown to the bone guy) has been a joy to work for. He leaves little doubt as to what is expected and is very consistent in his policy. In my view, that style of management is all many of us expect.

G

gadistrict

Proups - I do what I have to do. Whether it is calling in another part time driver to make the pickups and deliver the resos. If my division questions, I tell them the driver threatened a grievence. But like I said before, I usually don't have little probelms like that, because the center knows what I expect from them, and they know what to expect from me. I'm fair, strict, and consistant. Just like you guys, my drivers want to perform well and truely do care about making brown succeed. And if helping out the driver that requests the 8 hr day puts them over 9.5, then it happens...they deal with it. And if they want an 05, then they can get that too. Bottom line is we do what we must, in order to get the packages delivered and my driver out of there in 8 hours.

S

speeddemon

Another good example here. My children were at vacation bible school last week. They had a family night from 630 to 830 that I wanted to get to go to see some of it. Well, I worked until 845. And why, because we have a ctr manager that takes his final stop counts before the air runs down the belt. Now how smart is that? Oh! I asked him if he could help me out before I even left the building, and his response was "Your just screwed today". ....Thanks

C

crappie

speeddemon this job has some plusses and negatives.plusses you make good money, good bennies.the negatives you work long hours no family life ,tear up you body,I could go on but I will stop on that.So what can you do,file whould be one.I am guessing you are a runner,if so they will hose you tell the cows come home.

B

brownmonster

Why the name Speeddemon? I believe you are not in a bonus center. Or are you fast running out of the building at night.
lol.gif

S

speeddemon

That is a nickname my father gave me when I was younger because no one could outrun me.

I

idrivethetruck

In our center, we have to request before our start time the day before (ie. 24 hours notice). If they don't comply, then we file a grievance requesting time and a half for <u>all</u> hours worked.
ps. I noticed some of you guys using pictures of my truck...it's ok, I like it too
thumbsup.gif

T

toonertoo

Im my center they would have to give me a 6.75 plan with their new numbers to get an 8 hr day. I am going to do it just to see what happens.

S

speeddemon

tooner....mine too...on our OR yesterday....it had 13 out of 21 drivers PLANNING under 8 on paper, but they all worked over 9.0. What a blatant lie.

T

toonertoo

Yeah, it is out of hand. Way so. I had 102 which doesnt mean a hill of beans to anyone who does not know the center, Before I would have had a juumper for 3 hrs at peak, now it is an 8.02. 5.8 secs per pkg my ass. So my ETA is 730, and my manager asks me if I think I will be underdispached. And wants me to go make a few drop boxes to ensure their precious numbers on paper only.....95 degrees and they keep us all out til 730, yeah they care so much about safety it is frightening.
We also had about half the crew of 27 under 8 and working over 9.5. If your ETA is 530, forget it you are out helping some other poor soul that is getting hammered. And when you are under by a click the next day you will have 20 more to ensure that sin doesnt happen again. When will it end, Ive seen it bad it usually comes around and gets better, this has just gone on too long. Our sups were fighting amongst themselves calling each other names, friend this screw that, throwing loaders off the belt and pulling the air for all the cars, 9 drivers out of 27 at the am meeting, the rest working for free to enable them to get in by 730. I would think a BA from the almighty teamsters would come in at least once a month, to monitor things. That is one of the reasons we pay them, correct? We are all getting slammed and we have no protection. That is the way I see it. Im sure someone will correct me, but thats the way it is here.

(Message edited by toonertoo on June 30, 2005)

U

upsdude

Same here toonertoo. I had 183 stops, 323 pieces (52 miles) last Wednesday and the plan worked out to be 875. The paid day was 1080. 5.8 seconds per package means I lost roughly 31 minutes, what happened to the other 1 hours? We get text messages at noon asking for an ETA, give me a break. The company put up a bid list last month for 3 temps, no one signed it. Today (Friday) we will have 40 drivers to cover 45 routes. Oh, dont forget to turn in a sales lead.

O

over9five

Integrity.
Where has it gone? The new time standards are dishonest, pure and simple.
Jim Casey is surely rolling in his grave watching Eskews mess.

J

johnny

You have to admit at least PAS,EDD is saving UPS thousands if not millions of $$ in bonus that was being paid to drivers.I'm sure that somewhere in their thinking that saving on bonus had to come into play.I know my center had numerous drivers getting an hour of bonus a day.That's over $100 extra a week UPS paid for people working hard.Now you work harder and get no extra.Imagine that!

T

toonertoo

Integrity, I heard that word once.
You know back when you could talk to mgmt on a human level. They know its wrong, we know it is, and we are all paying for it.
There is not a mgmt person willing to stand up and tell corporate that it is screwing with their people to abuse them this way. It is plain and simple mental abuse to try to make us all look like a bunch of slugs because of a keystroke on some IE persons PC. We used to be able to feel like we did a decent job, it verified it the next day if we cared to look at the reports. They dont want us to feel good about our jobs, they think if they slam us more we will work faster. I know nothing has changed since they installed these new numbers except the hours I work, and how I feel about management, and the over allow on the reports. The same effort is still there, but they are killing our drive to get new customers as most of us are trying to hang on to the old, solid ones who have used us soley for years. I thank the Lord I got out when I did and did not follow my degree, and go full time management. I probaly would have never passed the test anyway, as I cant treat people any way other than the way I expect to be treated. I have this thing instilled in me, I think it is called the Golden rule.