Residential SO

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Just wanna throw in my $.02 here.
If you're told to reattempt a pkg. to a place that you know you won't get it off, you sure as heck better go there and make a sincere reattempt.
Why? Video surveillance.

whenIgetthere

Consult MGR also, and ask for clarification on process in writing. and also ask what is an acceptable time difference(can you try again in 1 minute or does it have to be 1,2,3 hours later?)

I asked this one day when I had four stops in one building, first was a DEX08. Went and delivered the other three, came back to the DEX08 five minutes later and tagged them again. Manager requested another attempt, when I mentioned the second attempt, she said five minutes isn't long enough, but also wouldn't say what an acceptable time was. So I work as directed, and watch my OT climb a little higher.

Maui

I have heard from management that it is not a WDL if it has been attempted twice within the commit window. So if you attempted twice before 1030 a P1 that is all that's needed and won't hit the station. No need to attempt that day anymore. Not that I really care about that or not. This is my point here. One of us is wrong. Maybe you, maybe me. But, it is the very management of this company telling us that it is correct. One of my biggest frustrations with our management are these multiple answers to one question.

It could have been changed, but I know for a fact that it was a WDL no matter the number of attempt or what time. The InControl report requires DEX03 and DEX08 reports and it definitely was a WDL, which I think is stupid.

The reason for the WDL was some attempts were made outside receiving hours when everyone knew there was no one available to receive the package to boost productivity. It is the same for UPS. They can not have business closures during lunch hours.

hypo hanna

I have heard from management that it is not a WDL if it has been attempted twice within the commit window. So if you attempted twice before 1030 a P1 that is all that's needed and won't hit the station. No need to attempt that day anymore. Not that I really care about that or not. This is my point here. One of us is wrong. Maybe you, maybe me. But, it is the very management of this company telling us that it is correct. One of my biggest frustrations with our management are these multiple answers to one question.
They view it this way. Can't be right, can't be wrong, can't be held accountable. (Unless they screwed up and put something in writing).

DontThrowPackages

Just wanna throw in my $.02 here.
If you're told to reattempt a pkg. to a place that you know you won't get it off, you sure as heck better go there and make a sincere reattempt.
Why? Video surveillance.
No way around this one. Today we pass through the field of so many cameras, why would anyone take the chance of falsifying when you're going to get paid to do as they say? Think about it, by "Dex"ing that package in your truck and not physically going back, you're losing pay you would have received for driving 20-30 minutes out of your way to reattempt. So you wanna "reattempt" from the seat of your truck at 1500? Surveillance shows no deliver trucks or courier entered the building from 1400 to 1600. And if the company was "curious" they could request the security footage for that time frame and you'll be aced out of a job. We all need to just do as they say. Don't risk your job over something stupid.

El Morado Diablo

It is still a WDL. A business DEX08 counts as a WDL no matter how many attempts are made. To me, posted hours and being closed is a legitimate DEX 17.

Management is looking at this from the shipper's perspective. If the shipper sends a package to a business address they expect it to be delivered. Period. Doesn't matter if the business hasn't opened yet, they're out to lunch, left early for the day (or weekend), etc.. This is why we are all being pushed to make two attempts. In our station we've been told we only have to do one attempt if, 1) No one is in and there are no posted hours or 2) The customer has left a note that they are gone for the day(s). In those cases we hit Reattempt, Other, and then type "No Posted Hours" or type when the recipient will return per their note. On occasion we still have to do a second attempt if the customer (shipper or recipient) requests one but it hasn't happened very often.

TUT

They don't see that dex 8 as "lets hope the customer is home today" but rather, " the customer is costing us money for not being here.

Or just call it a win-win. I'm sure they love the efficiency and they are happy to satisfy the customer. If one is more ideal, you guys are just thinking too much about it, everyone wins on first delivery success. Shipper, Recipient and Carrier. So I can see why it is a big thing.

MAKAVELI

On another note, FedEx sure is pushing their delivery manager flop.

For my knowledge, why do you consider it a flop? There seems to be some solid real-world services built into it.
I should be more specific I mean the appointment delivery service is a flop. They were telling us that the new service was going to save hundreds of millions of dollars. At this point I think it's costing them more.

TUT

I should be more specific I mean the appointment delivery service is a flop. They were telling us that the new service was going to save hundreds of millions of dollars. At this point I think it's costing them more.

You have been offering appointment delivery in ground for years, to my understanding those services are not really used much at all either Fedex or UPS. The holding at UPS Store/Kinko's/Stations and even extended holds now thanks to vacation options with Fedex, those will be wins. The ability for recipients to have more information and have defaults setup for their address, those will be helpful to everyone. Issue with Appointment Delivery are two fold, cost and on the shippers end you need to capture that information and pass it through to label creation, no one has systems to handle that. So even if the idea is good, we don't have the ability to do it on our end. Up a creek.

MAKAVELI

You have been offering appointment delivery in ground for years, to my understanding those services are not really used much at all either Fedex or UPS. The holding at UPS Store/Kinko's/Stations and even extended holds now thanks to vacation options with Fedex, those will be wins. The ability for recipients to have more information and have defaults setup for their address, those will be helpful to everyone. Issue with Appointment Delivery are two fold, cost and on the shippers end you need to capture that information and pass it through to label creation, no one has systems to handle that. So even if the idea is good, we don't have the ability to do it on our end. Up a creek.
More information for the customer is always a good thing but the amount of money you have spent on implementing this new service and advertisement cost are not going to be recouped. This new service was intended to save the company money and it is not doing that.

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

It's been a flop. They will never admit it, but it is costing them big bucks to provide this service for the tiny number of customers who are actually using it.

TUT

More information for the customer is always a good thing but the amount of money you have spent on implementing this new service and advertisement cost are not going to be recouped. This new service was intended to save the company money and it is not doing that.

Money implementing and probably advertisement to, are costs Fedex were going to have no matter if the service came about or not. For example those who worked on the project were going to do something. The $$$ to the advertising budget was set and could be any message. So it could be Delivery Manager or state once again, "When it absolutely...". So don't get worked up too much about these costs, they were happening one way or the other. The service saves money every time a package is held at a Fedex location and kicks up customer satisfaction as they needed it to be held to begin with. It saves the company from needing to go out and make a delivery. To me that seems to be the biggest win with this. Some other fringe services maybe nice, but won't have really an affect to the bottom line, I suspect.

This service is also the first time a recipient can make an address change. Prior the only person who could do that was the shipper (and it was a pain in the ass for us, an uneeded costly step first to do and then recharge the difference), now the recipient can do it and pay with it themselves and the change of address is much cheaper for them this way. It's all a win here as well. To me it seems like Fedex is trying to recoup some costs for their Office locations by making it a more robust shipping/receiving hub, seems smart.

MAKAVELI

Money implementing and probably advertisement to, are costs Fedex were going to have no matter if the service came about or not. For example those who worked on the project were going to do something. The $$$ to the advertising budget was set and could be any message. So it could be Delivery Manager or state once again, "When it absolutely...". So don't get worked up too much about these costs, they were happening one way or the other. The service saves money every time a package is held at a Fedex location and kicks up customer satisfaction as they needed it to be held to begin with. It saves the company from needing to go out and make a delivery. To me that seems to be the biggest win with this. Some other fringe services maybe nice, but won't have really an affect to the bottom line, I suspect.

This service is also the first time a recipient can make an address change. Prior the only person who could do that was the shipper (and it was a pain in the ass for us, an uneeded costly step first to do and then recharge the difference), now the recipient can do it and pay with it themselves and the change of address is much cheaper for them this way. It's all a win here as well. To me it seems like Fedex is trying to recoup some costs for their Office locations by making it a more robust shipping/receiving hub, seems smart.
From your perspective it may appear that way, but from ours on the inside it doesn't. There are dedicated costs to this service that they aren't recouping. Kinkos er FedEx Office was a fail from the start. A very small percentage of customers who use this service won't make up for the billions sunk into Kinkos er FedEx Office and millions spent on this new service. Sorry but spending a dollar to save 5 cents just doesn't work.

CJinx

I think the sole reason Delivery Manager exists is because our competition has been offering a similar service for quite some time now.

MAKAVELI

I think the sole reason Delivery Manager exists is because our competition has been offering a similar service for quite some time now.
Not the main reason. They truly think it's going to save $millions. This is how they are selling it on the express side.

MAKAVELI

Here is something else to think about. Are they going to charge the same rate as commercial stops? If so I wouldbe pissed as a customer. Not to mention the resi surcharge.