Restructuring - The good, bad and ugly.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Since the restructurng, there seems to be considerable confussion, a general lack of communincation and a lot of "it's not my job". It seems like a lot of things have fallen through the cracks to me.

What changes have come about since the restructuring in your area?

Is the company better managed with less people managing?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
a lot of "it's not my job".

This has been on the rise for the last 2 - 3 years ... just a normal consequence to reduction in staffing.
I call it "compartiminimalization" - a combination of minimizing and compartmental ... just a means of surviving in a corporation.
Minimize your risk and compartment areas of responsibility - works pretty well in an era of doing more with less.

hangin455

"not my job" has been going on for a very long time - only now there aren't any "extra" people around to give any help. That said, the costs of salaries was probably not offset by contributions to the bottom line. Just hope service doesn't suffer too much or we are in real trouble going forward.

Since the restructurng, there seems to be considerable confussion, a general lack of communincation and a lot of "it's not my job". It seems like a lot of things have fallen through the cracks to me.

Yes this company and all of it's employees as well as our great customers are way better off with less people managing. My center manager can call alot more shots and actually feel like a man again which makes everyone more productive.

BROWNHOG

Plausible deny ability : Limited division managers whom direct managers whom then direct their operations responsibility from their laptop @ the behest of the region quality control division manager who derives his daily information from statistical analysis....bottom line. A new way to do business by people who can not get the results they expect you to get and have no way of understanding how...hence, make you miserable with unrealistic expectations based on numbers and design that will never be achieved with any regularity.

tieguy

Banned
Each and every year those goals that can not be achieved are achieved and new goals are generated that can not be achieved. I hear the the gripes from all levels yet somehow every year we find a way to be successful. Its why we have been in business for so long. At some point we stop the bitching and we get it done.

Prickle

Your right Tieguy, but the same people working so hard to achieve the goals year after year, are going to tire very quickly of the punishment style of mgt. and look else where to use their talents.

DS

Fenderbender
Yes this company and all of it's employees as well as our great customers are way better off with less people managing. My center manager can call alot more shots and actually feel like a man again which makes everyone more productive.
407 Thats great till he gets moved (and he will).
Then you may end up with a Nazi that thinks he will change the world.
Our center manager is a self centered prick with an authority complex.
Nothing ever changes. There is no God.You get what you pay for.:angry:

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel

Depends on what you mean by better managed. Less cost = greater profit and more dough lining the pockets of the country club members. But the increased micromanaging coupled with fewer peeps to do it is creating more stress and increasing hostility.

I've long known that many members of management think drivers are over paid. Couple of months ago a group of us were actually told that by a division manager a week after I saw and heard him, tail b/t legs, getting chewed out by his boss.

Silly old Tie-man. We ARE getting things done. If we weren't, you wouldn't have a chair to sit in. We aren't the ones nit-picking the hourlies because our boss is telling us we're a piece of (poo) and threatening our jobs.

I just hope no one I care about gets the axe next year.

Hang in there, DS. He'll get moved too. Maybe you'll get lucky next time around.

tieguy

Banned
I don't have the time or desire to waste complaining about a little water . A job is a means to make a living. Nothing more.no evil plot.no faceless bogey man to fear. To me its always been a bunch of people (some good some bad ) working together for a common purpose. The day my Outlook got so bleak that I now feared the corporate greed bogeyman then it would be time to quit and find something less threatening to me.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
I don't have the time or desire to waste complaining about a little water . A job is a means to make a living. Nothing more.no evil plot.no faceless bogey man to fear. To me its always been a bunch of people (some good some bad ) working together for a common purpose. The day my Outlook got so bleak that I now feared the corporate greed bogeyman then it would be time to quit and find something less threatening to me.

I'm no quitter. I will fight for what I care for until just this side of bleak.
Not too many faceless people on the boards of multiple companies, are there?

tieguy

Banned
I'm no quitter. I will fight for what I care for until just this side of bleak.

I am always amazed that someone with your bleak outlook on this company , clearly having the option to be happy somewhere else would choose to stay here and be miserable.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
I am always amazed that someone with your bleak outlook on this company , clearly having the option to be happy somewhere else would choose to stay here and be miserable.
Because you read what you wanna and then close your mind.
If I didn't have huge hopes for this company I wouldn't be wasting my energy here, neck all out there, being squeaky as all get out.
I hope I'm wrong about most of this. Figure that one out.
You can't stand ambivalence so you stay all the way on the right.
Why in the world are you boys so reactive to little ole me?
:lips:

tieguy

Banned
Reactive?

I am mesmorized by this higher form of thinking you allude to but keep suppressed missy.

Posting your thoughts on a message board tends to garner reactive responses as part of the natural discourse of the board.

as such i have read your somewhat bleak posts commenting on the company you work for. Your name says hubrat which leads me to believe you started out part time yet stuck it out to be a driver.
So I do wonder why you would go through the grind of doing so if your opinion of this company is so negative.

why not take that cushy 30 dollar an hour job with full benifits elsewhere that pays you to sit on your rear?

why put yourself through all the misery you allude to?

And if you have decided to stay and fight as you previously stated then by all means please regale us with your tales of battle so we may all better appreciate your sacrifice on our behalf.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Reactive?

I am mesmorized by this higher form of thinking you allude to but keep suppressed missy.

Posting your thoughts on a message board tends to garner reactive responses as part of the natural discourse of the board.

as such i have read your somewhat bleak posts commenting on the company you work for. Your name says hubrat which leads me to believe you started out part time yet stuck it out to be a driver.
So I do wonder why you would go through the grind of doing so if your opinion of this company is so negative.

why not take that cushy 30 dollar an hour job with full benifits elsewhere that pays you to sit on your rear?

why put yourself through all the misery you allude to?

And if you have decided to stay and fight as you previously stated then by all means please regale us with your tales of battle so we may all better appreciate your sacrifice on our behalf.

I allude to no form of thinking. Don't need to. I say what I think. You infer what you wish. You seem especially reactive. Do you have any thoughts of your own or just bash others' and quote dead people.

I have hope for this company, as stated before, that the intelligent people on their derrieres will see that they make mistakes like the rest of us and correct them. You, on the other hand, will never change. There is nothing left for you to learn. I find that quite sad. I'm afraid that you're the one who is miserable. Having said that, I will add in my small hope that you do gain something from our little interactions, as I do. xoxoxo

I enjoy my job immensely, as I have said in a few other posts you've commented on, and find sitting indoors on my butt for long periods of time extremely dull. You might be shocked to hear this, but just because the job requires a high school education doesn't mean that all drivers stopped at that. Some of them are more highly educated than your directors. Doesn't mean a thing, other than they could be your boss, does it? Mr. Casey dropped out of high school just like me.

I have yet to fight a true battle here. The few small fights I've had (1) I have posted about in the past, and (2) make my company look too bad to be aired in a public forum. You'll just have to take my word that they were pretty freaking bad. Or don't. I don't care, I was there.

I am headed for battle if some one doesn't get off their butt and get up here soon before the place implodes (Monday would be nice, save me an uncomfortable phone call) on my own behalf and that of my co-workers, not yours. Sorry.

tieguy

Banned
I gave you some very specific points which you chose to avoid by answering with general terms and liberal buzzwords.

I will occasionally challenge someone like yourself who is so highly critical of the company or as in your case corporations in general. What I often find is those posters do not hold up well under the same type of scrutiny that they try to apply to others.

When you use terminology like reactive in response it means you have basically curled up in the fetal position in defense. If you have an opinion that comes from you and not some propagandists buzzword board then by all means please share it.

Your commentary in general is typical of many here. You think you have somehow earned the right to dictate the terms of your labor in addition to being paid the best in the industry.
You chose this job in fact if you were a hubrat now turned driver then at some point you signed your name on the line several times knowing full well that we would probably work you harder then you have ever worked and knowing full well that we would try to squeeze everything out of you that you have to give and more.

As a hubrat no one propped you up in an office and promised they would never ever demand anything of you again. You kept coming back for more and now at some point you have become captive labor and think you should be able to change the rules of the game.

You're dissatisfied because you were lured by the money and chose to turn a blind eye to what you had to endure to earn that money.

So now at some point as captive labor , captured by the pay and benifits you can not get elsewhere you now want to badmouth the company you sold your soul to long ago.

what am I missing?

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I gave you some very specific points which you chose to avoid by answering with general terms and liberal buzzwords.

I will occasionally challenge someone like yourself who is so highly critical of the company or as in your case corporations in general. What I often find is those posters do not hold up well under the same type of scrutiny that they try to apply to others.

When you use terminology like reactive in response it means you have basically curled up in the fetal position in defense. If you have an opinion that comes from you and not some propagandists buzzword board then by all means please share it.

Your commentary in general is typical of many here. You think you have somehow earned the right to dictate the terms of your labor in addition to being paid the best in the industry.
You chose this job in fact if you were a hubrat now turned driver then at some point you signed your name on the line several times knowing full well that we would probably work you harder then you have ever worked and knowing full well that we would try to squeeze everything out of you that you have to give and more.

As a hubrat no one propped you up in an office and promised they would never ever demand anything of you again. You kept coming back for more and now at some point you have become captive labor and think you should be able to change the rules of the game.

You're dissatisfied because you were lured by the money and chose to turn a blind eye to what you had to endure to earn that money.

So now at some point as captive labor , captured by the pay and benifits you can not get elsewhere you now want to badmouth the company you sold your soul to long ago.

what am I missing?

folks this looks like the the end of the 4th Qtr and it does not go into overtime..... last one out please turn off the lights in the stadium.