Retire as young as possible he said!

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Most people who die within a couple of years of retirement do so from depression.
I myself have had problems with depression and self-worth issues.
I almost took my life a couple of times.
And I prepared to keep myself busy but my knees went out on me.

Other people do fine.
Women, who typically concentrate on family, don’t normally have these problems.

Sorry to hear that @Old Man Jingles...i have many family members who have clinical depression. Some passed young age. I blame the meds.. And the fact they spent so much life fighting it, they never got to live.
Hope it gets better for ya. No diffetent in your job than as a driver..the metrics are everywhere. And with depression..impossible to handle...even for ones who dont suffer..the constant belittling and beatings can ruin your self esteem over time. It just does. Enjoy your freedom..your music...your family..you arrived alive..

I have to wonder, in our case, if the UPS culture of hurry, hurry and get it done ingrains into some of us so deeply that we can't slow down.

My solution is my part-time retirement job driving cars for a local auto group Maybe three days a week driving all around the state (and adjoining states) in new cars with no time restraints or pressure.

Beer money and out of the house. Couldn't be nicer.

rod

Retired 22 years
Most people who die within a couple of years of retirement do so from depression.

Other people do fine.

When I get depressed (it happens to everyone) I can tune EVERYTHING out. And I mean everything. I can put myself into such a trance I swear I could hibernate if I wanted to. I had to go to this place many times when my son passed away.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Sorry to hear that @Old Man Jingles...i have many family members who have clinical depression. Some passed young age. I blame the meds.. And the fact they spent so much life fighting it, they never got to live.
Hope it gets better for ya. No diffetent in your job than as a driver..the metrics are everywhere. And with depression..impossible to handle...even for ones who dont suffer..the constant belittling and beatings can ruin your self esteem over time. It just does. Enjoy your freedom..your music...your family..you arrived alive..
Thanks Toons.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
When I get depressed (it happens to everyone) I can tune EVERYTHING out. And I mean everything. I can put myself into such a trance I swear I could hibernate if I wanted to. I had to go to this place many times when my son passed away.
I cannot imagine the grief @rod . my bff lost her son labor day..she has another son and no other family. I dont know how to help her. Hugs

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
@Cosmo. I think you are right. I work on a kitchen now 3 days a week...its like not even working...i get called in if someone calls off and seriously..it still feels like a day off..lol. I do so little compared to what I am used to...with people thanking me, telling me Iam a lifesaver etc. I mean it pays crap but i have a purpose. It buys my beer..lol.

oldngray

nowhere special
@Cosmo. I think you are right. I work on a kitchen now 3 days a week...its like not even working...i get called in if someone calls off and seriously..it still feels like a day off..lol. I do so little compared to what I am used to...with people thanking me, telling me Iam a lifesaver etc. I mean it pays crap but i have a purpose. It buys my beer..lol.
It does take a while to be able to slow yourself down and adjust to living at a slower pace.

But definitely worth it.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Boredom is highly underrated.

If I were to ever get bored

All I would have to do is think about being on a pkg car when it’s zero outside defroster won’t clear the windows i’am 70 miles from the building and it’s dark and snowing sideways (yes this has happened)

Don’t think the boredom would last long

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Sounds like you have the same sort of deal I do.

If I can't work, I tell my boss a day or two ahead. Never a problem.

They don't send us out in bad weather, we eat lunch on the clock for as long as we want and get reimbursed for lunch.

Doesn't pay much, but just doing it for grins, it's great.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
If I were to ever get bored

All I would have to do is think about being on a pkg car when it’s zero outside defroster won’t clear the windows i’am 70 miles from the building and it’s dark and snowing sideways (yes this has happened)

Don’t think the boredom would last long

Been there, done that, and I wholeheartedly agree.

rod

Retired 22 years
I cannot imagine the grief @rod . my bff lost her son labor day..she has another son and no other family. I dont know how to help her. Hugs

Talk to her -- lots. Bring up both the good and bad. Nothing helps more that a friend who tells and also listens to stories. If you have any pictures of her son give them to her. Above all don't do "nothing". Don't tell her "he's is in a better place" . That's not what someone wants to hear. They aren't in a better place-they belong with their living family. Ignoring someone who has lost someone is about the worst thing you can do. It kills friendships. A good friend of mine walked up to me and just said "man this just sucks". There was no arguing that.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Thanks @rod. I text with her daily. Meet up with her when I can. She was staying with me til the accident. She met up with some people who needed help on a horse ranch nearby and we both felt she would be better off staying there..staying busy with the ranch..than here with me and not much to do.....space when she needs it...
I actually had to google what not to say.....to someone i have known 35 yrs.
Heartwrenching. shes went back to oilfield driving truck 12 to 14 hrs daily. She got a dog..has her horse at the ranch and people her age that are there every day. I dont think she will ever recover?

rod

Retired 22 years
Thanks @rod. I text with her daily. Meet up with her when I can. She was staying with me til the accident. She met up with some people who needed help on a horse ranch nearby and we both felt she would be better off staying there..staying busy with the ranch..than here with me and not much to do.....space when she needs it...
I actually had to google what not to say.....to someone i have known 35 yrs.
Heartwrenching. shes went back to oilfield driving truck 12 to 14 hrs daily. She got a dog..has her horse at the ranch and people her age that are there every day. I dont think she will ever recover?

One of my favorite sayings is- it NEVER hurts less---but it will hurt less often. The passage of time does help.

rod

Retired 22 years
Thanks for your advice...on the worst subject ever....

Unfortunately I've become an expert on Grief. I forgot to mention if your friend has access to a qualified Grief Counselor take advantage of it. My wife and I had a counselor for the first year. She visited us once a week and she really helped us.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Unfortunately I've become an expert on Grief. I forgot to mention if your friend has access to a qualified Grief Counselor take advantage of it. My wife and I had a counselor for the first year. She visited us once a week and she really helped us.
I have offered to go with her to a group...ill find it..she wants to tough it out. Shes not real peoply....
Sorry but that sucks to be an expert on this. Grrrrr
But i will mention it again since i have a friend ....who suggested it. I am so thankful i do not know what ya all go through.....i cant imagine.

Indecisi0n

Other people do fine.
Don't talk like that we are here for you.

But just in case what kind of car do you drive? And where do you keep the keys...

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
And life is great with a best friend.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1545507795005.jpg
    FB_IMG_1545507795005.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 202