retired benefits major hike

bacha29

The Achilles Heel of the VAT is that it isn't added to a product one time. "A Value-Added Tax (VAT) is a consumption tax assessed on the value added in each production stage of a good or service." What is a Value-Added Tax (VAT)?
And in the end it will be added onto the final retail cost of the item which in turn makes it a national sales tax .
The idea of a national sales tax as a replacement for current revenue streams comes up every few years but in the end it is discovered that it would be a complex, cumbersome hard to enforce system with the issue of what to tax, what not to tax, the manner of taxation the rate of taxation etc .etc something that would drag on and on in the courts delaying final implementation of the tax plan for God knows how many years.

vantexan

70% of the US economy is consumer spending . So here's a question for you along with the others you haven't answered . Just exactly what impact would slapping a 23% surcharge have on consumer spending?
In addition you still haven't answered the questions I asked Wally you still haven't identified the specific items that would be subject to the surcharge and those that would be exempt.
I did too. Everything is subject to the 23%. But the prebate will pay for taxes on essentials like groceries. Now don't rant and rave about that. Meanwhile no taxes are taken out of paychecks(Federal) and people can choose to spend that as they please. And as I've repeatedly said, but you can't seem to grasp, it's highly unlikely it'll happen. But the current tax code needs to be reformed don't you think?

vantexan

The Achilles Heel of the VAT is that it isn't added to a product one time. "A Value-Added Tax (VAT) is a consumption tax assessed on the value added in each production stage of a good or service." What is a Value-Added Tax (VAT)?
Not if products are made overseas. It'll be taxed coming into the country. Exactly what are stages of service? Someone drops off.something at FedEx and pays the VAT, then when it's delivered a VAT is charged?

bacha29

I did too. Everything is subject to the 23%. But the prebate will pay for taxes on essentials like groceries. Now don't rant and rave about that. Meanwhile no taxes are taken out of paychecks(Federal) and people can choose to spend that as they please. And as I've repeatedly said, but you can't seem to grasp, it's highly unlikely it'll happen. But the current tax code needs to be reformed don't you think?
The federal government's current spending authorization ends 9-30. Congress simply doesn't have the desire to write a piece of legislation and an entirely new tax code that would require mountains of manhours spent on hearings and floor fights and years of court fights just for a new system that you're not sure would replace dollar for dollar the revenue streams that would be eliminated.

Ok, so you want to reform the tax code? Where do you start? You're worried about too many government hand outs? The tax cuts alone are by far the biggest handouts. Not to mention little schemes like carried interest that only the very wealthiest enjoy.

You want to cut federal spending? 71% of all federal spending is mandated by law and require full funding So where in that 71% area do you want to start? The GOP for years has been challenged to come forward and state where they want the cuts. But every time the public sees that the cuts the GOP wants are all at expense of the poor and aged while asking nothing from the wealthiest Americans . The result is a public backlash the GOP didn't expect because they thought that the public wasn't paying attention.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
If the federal government taxes the state to the full limits the citizens of the state will permit then where will the state get the money to pay for state mandated services? You know, little things like schools and roads.
You plainly stated it in sentence #3.
I’ll try to break it down to your level:
Example, the citizens of Anystate, USA, vote to allow their state to tax them a maximum rate of 30%. They then vote to allow the Federal government to tax their state a maximum of 35% of its tax revenue. Both State and Federal revenues are thus capped, and can only be changed by a vote of their citizens, or a declaration of war. Thus the citizens have 70% of their earnings to live on, while the State and Federal governments have to allocate their revenue to the powers enumerated in their constitutions.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Not if products are made overseas. It'll be taxed coming into the country. Exactly what are stages of service? Someone drops off.something at FedEx and pays the VAT, then when it's delivered a VAT is charged?
Is FedEx a stage of production? Ask a serious question next time.

vantexan

The federal government's current spending authorization ends 9-30. Congress simply doesn't have the desire to write a piece of legislation and an entirely new tax code that would require mountains of manhours spent on hearings and floor fights and years of court fights just for a new system that you're not sure would replace dollar for dollar the revenue streams that would be eliminated.

Ok, so you want to reform the tax code? Where do you start? You're worried about too many government hand outs? The tax cuts alone are by far the biggest handouts. Not to mention little schemes like carried interest that only the very wealthiest enjoy.

You want to cut federal spending? 71% of all federal spending is mandated by law and require full funding So where in that 71% area do you want to start? The GOP for years has been challenged to come forward and state where they want the cuts. But every time the public sees that the cuts the GOP wants are all at expense of the poor and aged while asking nothing from the wealthiest Americans . The result is a public backlash the GOP didn't expect because they thought that the public wasn't paying attention.
71% mandated? Are they mandated to increase spending on the mandated items? Are they required to get creative and find new ways to spend money like with the student loans? Does the government have to collapse before you admit we have a problem?

vantexan

Example, the citizens of Anystate, USA, vote to allow their state to tax them a maximum rate of 30%. They then vote to allow the Federal government to tax their state a maximum of 35% of its tax revenue. Both State and Federal revenues are thus capped, and can only be changed by a vote of their citizens, or a declaration of war. Thus the citizens have 70% of their earnings to live on, while the State and Federal governments have to allocate their revenue to the powers enumerated in their constitutions.
Is that a system that's spelled out in the Constitution? State or Federal?

bacha29

You're entitled to your opinion. Get back to me after you find out how far this gets in the courts. I think I can tell you....It's going nowhere .

bacha29

71% mandated? Are they mandated to increase spending on the mandated items? Are they required to get creative and find new ways to spend money like with the student loans? Does the government have to collapse before you admit we have a problem?
Ok so tell me something. Just exactly what personal sacrifices are you personally willing to make in order to reduce government spending? The thing I noticed about you is that it was always somebody else who has to make sacrifices and endure hardship but not you.

After all....wasn't it someone else's money that had to pay for your heart operation?

Thebrownblob

Ok so tell me something. Just exactly what personal sacrifices are you personally willing to make in order to reduce government spending? The thing I noticed about you is that it was always somebody else who has to make sacrifices and endure hardship but not you.

After all....wasn't it someone else's money that had to pay for your heart operation?

Dude, he lived in a car.

Thebrownblob

I don't care if he lived at the YMCA. He keeps hollering for reduced government spending but he wants somebody else to make the sacrifices and deprivations but never says a word about what he's willing to do .
I’m saying, I think he would have no problem sacrificing he’s already had practice