Retirement Board

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I like the current mix of folks on the regular boards. Don't the time or patience to run from board to board checking out all the posts. I'd miss out on a lot of interesting things.

This was not meant to exclude anyone from posting on any of the forums--it was meant to be a place for current retirees to chat with one another and for those nearing retirement to get pointers on preparing for retirement, much for the same reason the UPS Partners forum was created.

rod

Retired 22 years
This was not meant to exclude anyone from posting on any of the forums--it was meant to be a place for current retirees to chat with one another and for those nearing retirement to get pointers on preparing for retirement, much for the same reason the UPS Partners forum was created.

Oh I see----It's ok for you to post on the "retirement board" but it's not ok for retired people to post on the "UPS discussions" board?

Please explain yourself!

Last edited by a moderator:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Oh I see----It's ok for you to post on the "retirement board" but it's not ok for retired people to post on the "UPS discussions" board.

Whatever--I thought it would be a good idea to have a forum for those topics related to retirement. UPS Partners was created for the same reason. Do with it what you will--I could care less.

upsfiredme

if you are not 65 years and have part time pension with ups they will charge you 6% for each year younger than 65 to pull your own pension, is that not a nice thing ups have done for you lately

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

if you are not 65 years and have part time pension with ups they will charge you 6% for each year younger than 65 to pull your own pension, is that not a nice thing ups have done for you lately

If your financial health hinges upon a part time pension you have bigger problems than worrying about what UPS have done for you lately.

wkmac

Re: Management board

Since Cheryl is in the mood to add new forums, may I suggest adding a forum devoted to UPS Retirees. I know what you're thinking but I am serious. This forum could help those who are already retired by perhaps comparing notes with other retirees as to how they handled the transition to retirement and how they are dealing with being retired. It could also be used to discuss the financial aspects of retirement as well as the medical issues associated with retirement. For example, is it wise to take Social Security when you first become eligible or is it best to wait until you must begin taking it and what are some of the factors that may go in to making that decision. How do I choose a Medicare option or at what point should I tap my 401k and what are the tax implications involved. Another topic of discussion could be the pros and cons of working during retirement. Finally, this forum could offer advice to a current employee as they begin their transition in to retirement. There could be links to articles and websites dedicated to retirees and those making the transition to retirement. There are a myriad of topics associated with retirement that could be discussed in this forum.

Fantastic idea Upstate and you too Cheryl!

rod

Retired 22 years
Oh I see----It's ok for you to post on the "retirement board" but it's not ok for retired people to post on the "UPS discussions" board?

Please explain yourself!

"please explain yourself"? Thats not even close to what I said. If you are going to be "big brother" and change what I said that much you may as well delete the whole post. In case you didn't notice, the "automatic censor" function on BC works just fine and still allowed me to get my message across.

P

pickup

"please explain yourself"? Thats not even close to what I said. If you are going to be "big brother" and change what I said that much you may as well delete the whole post. In case you didn't notice, the "automatic censor" function on BC works just fine and still allowed me to get my message across.

Yes Hoaxster, please explain yourself!

tonyr

This is a great idea. Another question I have as a retiree - Does anyone know if we ever signed a non compete clause going into management? What if we get a job with a competitor after retirement. Does it jeopardize our pension?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is a great idea. Another question I have as a retiree - Does anyone know if we ever signed a non compete clause going into management? What if we get a job with a competitor after retirement. Does it jeopardize our pension?

I am not familiar with the mgt pension but our union pension limits the number of hours that we can work in a similar job to 40 hours per month.

satellitedriver

I am not familiar with the mgt pension but our union pension limits the number of hours that we can work in a similar job to 40 hours per month.
Thank God that clause no longer exists in Central States.
And, it was not just a restriction for a similar job. It applied to any teamster related job and one had to get approval from the union before they could work 40hrs a month.
Under the new teamster/UPS retirement, I can work anywhere, for as many hours as I choose.
The only caveat is that I can not work for UPS, in any capacity.

UPS Lifer

Shouldn`t it be "Retirement Bored"?

I realize your post is almost a year old but every time I talk with someone about being retired they tell me "Your too young to be retired! What are you going to do with all that time?"

What I did not realize is that the only time you get back is your work time and drive time to work. By the end of my career, last 2 years, I was coasting. I was making sure I took every ounce of time that I was supposed to take. The total time I got back each week was about 43 hours! I added about 1 hour a day of sleep. So now my time was about 36 hours of wake time I had free! Spread those hours out for all 7 days and that is about 5 hours a day.

I did not get on BC until after I retired so now you need to subtract another couple of hours a day. I actually enjoyed a meal with the family 2 times a day so now I am left with 1 hour of free time which got filled with a nap!

Soooooo - How can you get bored with that kind of schedule ;)!

UPS Lifer

Not sure why you would want to get another similar job but to answer your question... I did not sign a non-compete clause. First of all, how is the company going to know you are working for a competitor? Hell - I thought about being a Business Agent! (But I answered that question I just asked you!!). I know a lot of people mgmt people who left UPS and went to FDX and others. NOW, sales people might have to sign non-compete contracts now-a-days but if you are retired my guess is you didn't sign a non-compete. My first mgmt job was a customer service rep.

I did not see anything that I signed that identified areas where my pension was in jeopardy. The only thing I remember was that I had some obligation to inform my spouse of the different beneficiary payoff scenarios. Hope that helps a little. I might suggest that you should check state laws also because there could be differences that may change the outcome. I highly doubt that though.