zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Have all of your ducks lined up the hest as you can. Once you cross over you can't go back. Pay off your bills , have some retirement money and have some cash in your bank account

Student loans will be done soon. Bought a little starter house long before UPS, should have that paid off in 2-3 more years. Would like at least another investment property going, then buy the last house. Been learning about and planning on different ways to make money from our property. The wife wants an apple orchard, that's just one of the many avenues we're exploring.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
So many don't have a plan
Brother man , listen , Let it be. Move on, I know you are just trying to help but sometimes , after awhile, it becomes something else. I love you brother let’s let this subject rest for awhile. A certain person that is a friend of ours would probably appreciate that. I may be wrong. And who knows maybe I am , but you bring it up a lot. And you don’t always need to be hearing about it when you come here to talk with your buddies I don’t mean to offend you or cause any problems. I apologize in advance if you take it that way. It’s not meant that way at all. Speech over. Back to the fluff!!!!!

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
@Retired at 28.11 years curious do you have a 401k? I know I don't want to rely on just my pension.
Yes sir! Have the Teamster/UPS 401k plan. I went across the grain and invested on my own. Teamsters & UPS allow you to do that as long as you keep $5,000 in funds. I studied hard. Bought my own. I bought Amazon, Price Line, NetFlix & mostly UPS shipments I saw grow. Dental places & Precision machinery stuff... I used my years at UPS to see growth. Even Facebook & Alibaba.... but I kept gambling. Selling at small gains(compared to today's prices) and I should of NEVER, ever played on my own. Yet, God hates a coward and I tried the best I could.

So keep investing with their fund managers. Don't make the mistakes I made.

Another caveat of retiring is no more union dues and even though Georgia sent me a request after retirement to keep donating to United Way. I decided to donate in different charities on my own. Just one of them is Amazon Smile. I buy every order off Amazon using my Smile account. It's only 50-cents for every $100 spent. Yet, it's one of many I contribute a little too. Good for the soul to contribute time & money to legitimate charities. My Amazon Smile account goes to Children's Hospitals.

I try, but my family comes first. I might be a whisker away from government assistance, but I'll sell movie tickets for $9 an hour before I ask for help. The wife & I are doing ok. We got a modest house, 3-rigs etc... I sit back and realize just what an average IQ high school grad should have that worked hard over 4-decades and I figure I got about what I should have without no help. I am lower middle class now and seems to be a square deal.

Bad Gas!

Retired update:. I retired Aug 31st, 2017 southern supplement..So far, so good. Took the 50/50 plan so spouse gets some money when she outlives me. We pay $400 total for health ins, which includes vision and dental. The pharmacy cost increased to 20% on 90 day drugs..Take home a very modest 2700 a month after ins. payment.. House and cars are paid. But will need a need vehicle in the next year or so. Take low budget driving trips once a month. ..
I wake up and everyday is Sat. Drink my coffee and then go to gym. Do my yard work a few times a week. I like landscaping. It's cold here in the southern western carolina moutains..I take a nap between 2 and 4 so I'm fresh for some Netflix TV time with the wife at night....The next day repeat..I'm too young to go into 401k or other savings. Social Security will be my raise in 3 years if needed. I like not working but if something happens where I need to I will..Good luck fella's. .

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
Retired update:. I retired Aug 31st, 2017 southern supplement..So far, so good. Took the 50/50 plan so spouse gets some money when she outlives me. We pay $400 total for health ins, which includes vision and dental. The pharmacy cost increased to 20% on 90 day drugs..Take home a very modest 2700 a month after ins. payment.. House and cars are paid. But will need a need vehicle in the next year or so. Take low budget driving trips once a month. ..
I wake up and everyday is Sat. Drink my coffee and then go to gym. Do my yard work a few times a week. I like landscaping. It's cold here in the southern western carolina moutains..I take a nap between 2 and 4 so I'm fresh for some Netflix TV time with the wife at night....The next day repeat..I'm too young to go into 401k or other savings. Social Security will be my raise in 3 years if needed. I like not working but if something happens where I need to I will..Good luck fella's. .
$400 for everything! You got it made dude and yep! We are no different. We had a lunar eclipse here last week and I stayed up all night watching it. It felt GREAT!

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.

Sounds pretty damn good. How many years at UPS?

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
Our retiree medical is pretty pricey, you guys aren't even paying half what ours costs. Yeah I'm jealous.
What's your retiree insurance cost? I notice mine is more than others but my monthly is more than theirs. Maybe your monthly is larger than mine but you pay a bit more for insurance.........?

rod

Retired 22 years
Most retirement insurance don't include dental and eye. Ours didn't but then again it was only 50 bucks and covered both the wife and me. By the time I reached Medicare age it was up to $150 a month.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
What's your retiree insurance cost? I notice mine is more than others but my monthly is more than theirs. Maybe your monthly is larger than mine but you pay a bit more for insurance.........?
Sliding scale based on age at retirement. At 55 it's $660/month per person dropping down to $440/month per person at age 60

Raw

Raw Member
Retirement is over -rated, most successful people in life work well into their 70`s and 80`s! At 57 with 30 years in retirement hasn`t evem crossed my mind. 7 weeks vacation a year is enough time to travel and rest up!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
man you pay a lot in insurance
The west coast pension is one of the most consistent highest payed out per month pension plans in the country... but the health insurance deductibles suck Gumby’s ass!!! I dont know if this will effect the OP or not but one of the things that will be brought up, one of the three big things in the western conference contract talks is getting that healthcare monthly costs down.... a few places in the west have done this over the years and have had good results.....hopefully if this happens it will help the op....