JackStraw

Why not work one day past your seniority date, or til Feb. 28. Collect pension check on March 1, get paid out for your remaining vacation/sick days.

trickpony1

get paid out for your remaining vacation/sick days.

Because you'll be taxed at a higher rate;
you won't get accrued vacation time and an additional check and;
you won't have health insurance on your paid out vacations.

I'm surprised Dave agreed with post #27.
He knows better.

I'm retiring in 2018. March 1 to be exact. I decided to use all my vacation time..6 weeks beginning the week ending January 6 2018. Do i actually have to work another day in the new year to keep all my benefits or receive my pension????
Seriously this is a big and very important decision. Why wouldn't you ask the union hall in person? I would work an extra week just to be safe

Anyways good luck in retirement.

IESucks

I'm retiring in 2018. March 1 to be exact. I decided to use all my vacation time..6 weeks beginning the week ending January 6 2018. Do i actually have to work another day in the new year to keep all my benefits or receive my pension????
Not if vacation runs till u retire

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
So I should be ok??? I guess u can tell after 33 years I really don't want to spend another day there

I couldn’t get a straight answer from anybody when I was getting ready to retire. It was as if I was the first person to ever draw a pension

Worked an extra week into the new year just to CMA. Something I learned to do many years ago working for UPS

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So I should be ok??? I guess u can tell after 33 years I really don't want to spend another day there

I can also tell that after 33 years you still have no idea how all of this works.

If you have a projected retirement date anytime in December it would behoove you to work just one day in the following January to get all of your personal and sick days, plus any vacation that you earned prior to your seniority date in the previous year. You would lose any vacation that you earned after that date.

rod

Retired 22 years
Seriously this is a big and very important decision. Why wouldn't you ask the union hall in person? I would work an extra week just to be safe

Anyways good luck in retirement.

I've posted before that I worked 27 extra days just because I wanted it in writing that I qualified for a full 30 year retirement. At the time I retired I didn't trust the union or the company on just a verbal ok to go. For some reason it was like pulling teeth to get the union to give me what I wanted. I was gone the day after I got it in writing.

I've posted before that I worked 27 extra days just because I wanted it in writing that I qualified for a full 30 year retirement. At the time I retired I didn't trust the union or the company on just a verbal ok to go. For some reason it was like pulling teeth to get the union to give me what I wanted. I was gone the day after I got it in writing.
Exactly.

This is a life decision. No take backs on this one.

I can also tell that after 33 years you still have no idea how all of this works.

If you have a projected retirement date anytime in December it would behoove you to work just one day in the following January to get all of your personal and sick days, plus any vacation that you earned prior to your seniority date in the previous year. You would lose any vacation that you earned after that date.
Approved by the board for March 1 2018

rod

Retired 22 years
Exactly.

This is a life decision. No take backs on this one.

I didn't want to be THAY GUY who left a day too early. We did have a guy quit one week before he was vested for 10 years. Later on he tried to get a 10 year pension (because he was "so close"). The union just laughed at him. I see him every time I go to BINGO. I'm going to ask him what he did end up with. I'm sure it isn't squat.

Maybe that's true where you are at.