I'm retiring in 2018. March 1 to be exact. I decided to use all my vacation time..6 weeks beginning the week ending January 6 2018. Do i actually have to work another day in the new year to keep all my benefits or receive my pension????

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I'm retiring in 2018. March 1 to be exact. I decided to use all my vacation time..6 weeks beginning the week ending January 6 2018. Do i actually have to work another day in the new year to keep all my benefits or receive my pension????
If it were me, I’d “work” one day after taking your 6 weeks, just to have documentation you are still an active employee. No reason to take a chance on something like this, IMHO.

PT Crazy

Why would you retire March 1? Then you won't get your first pension check until April 1. Work your last day of vacation as your last day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes for the benefits. No for the pension provided you have satisfied both the age and years of service provisions.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Since you are on vacation, you are still an active employee, so I would say no.

E

el blanco

my last work day was on a Friday
took 6 weeks of vacation that ended on the final day of a month
pension began the next day
smooth, trouble free process

trickpony1

I believe all you have to do is work on January 2nd and you are good

I know someone who worked the entire first week of the calendar year...just to be sure he was considered an active employee and...to be sure the company didn't pull some chickenschat stunt like claiming he wasn't "active" thereby denying him:
-insurance during his vacations;
-vacations taxed at regular rate and;
-IMPORTANT...the additional vacation time(and paycheck) he earned because all the work/vacation was as an "active" employee.