retirement

falcon back

I'm sick of the judgmental :censored2: spewing from some jerkoffs on here about Vans decision to travel around and see the country, it's his choice.! Some ass holes are just jealous that he's on this odyssey.. what an adventure!. I applaud his taking on such a grand undertaking , but he has a game plan , and I respect that!. So get off his asss and stay in your comfort bubble.
Did he write a paper when he was in grade school? "What I want to do when I get older" I want to live in a car, shower in a public gym and cook on a hot plate IN MY CAR, I am totally jealous

dezguy

Did he write a paper when he was in grade school? "What I want to do when I get older" I want to live in a car, shower in a public gym and cook on a hot plate IN MY CAR, I am totally jealous
Huuuuuurr hes lifes in a cur huuuuuurrrrr.

You act like you're so intelligent because you were right about ONE thing. How about using that intelligence and coming up with some new material?

It will be fine

Huuuuuurr hes lifes in a cur huuuuuurrrrr.

You act like you're so intelligent because you were right about ONE thing. How about using that intelligence and coming up with some new material?
It’s a thread on retirement and a person living in their car is probably not someone I’d take advice from. I can’t really imagine retiring in a worse position than that.

dezguy

It’s a thread on retirement and a person living in their car is probably not someone I’d take advice from. I can’t really imagine retiring in a worse position than that.
He's living his life the way he wants. If that means traveling around, sleeping in a car, more power to him.

Me and my family travel around and sleep in an RV. Is that much far off from what van is doing?

It will be fine

He's living his life the way he wants. If that means traveling around, sleeping in a car, more power to him.

Me and my family travel around and sleep in an RV. Is that much far off from what van is doing?
Yes that’s far off. He’s scraping by because he made poor financial choices his entire life. His position is in no way enviable. His input should be viewed as a cautionary tale for how to not plan for retirement.

dezguy

Yes that’s far off. He’s scraping by because he made poor financial choices his entire life. His position is in no way enviable. His input should be viewed as a cautionary tale for how to not plan for retirement.
The guy has been placed and seen things most of us will probably never see. He's making the most out of what he has to work with. He's admitted he's made mistakes, there is no sense to lord over him for it.

In the end, he seems happy doing what he's doing. At the very least it shows me that if I ever lose most of my investments and retirement savings, I can still experience the world if I'm willing to be creative.

vantexan

Ahhh, kicking back, reading websites, not having to work until I'm 70. Life is good!

vantexan

I don’t think many people are jealous of a guy living in a car in a Walmart parking lot across the country from his family. Is that what your mom told you was the reason bullies were mean to you, jealousy? Lol
I'm working a short term job next month that'll pay about $2500 for two weeks work. Paying off the credit card and putting the rest into a plane ticket. Life is good!

vantexan

I'm amazed a FedEx contractor would denigrate working for FedEx. I got my pension, I'm out, and somehow you think that's failure.

It will be fine

I'm amazed a FedEx contractor would denigrate working for FedEx. I got my pension, I'm out, and somehow you think that's failure.
You were single with no kids most for your working life and you ended up living in a car. That’s your failure, it has nothing to do with the job you chose. It has to do with you making poor financial decisions, take some personal responsibility and stop blaming your employer.

vantexan

You were single with no kids most for your working life and you ended up living in a car. That’s your failure, it has nothing to do with the job you chose. It has to do with you making poor financial decisions, take some personal responsibility and stop blaming your employer.
Yah, getting rehired at $10.85 and quitting almost 15 years later at $18.17 with a stunted pension is all on me. And the tens of thousands of other couriers. The company bears no responsibility. They only had the best of intentions for us. Thank you for letting me get that off my chest.

vantexan

I hope that none of your drivers stick with you. Wouldn't want them to end up like me!

falcon back

Yah, getting rehired at $10.85 and quitting almost 15 years later at $18.17 with a stunted pension is all on me. And the tens of thousands of other couriers. The company bears no responsibility. They only had the best of intentions for us. Thank you for letting me get that off my chest.
Out of the hundreds, if not several thousand couriers I worked with, YOU are the only one I know that lives in their car. That tells me it's YOUR fault, not the company's.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Out of the hundreds, if not several thousand couriers I worked with, YOU are the only one I know that lives in their car. That tells me it's YOUR fault, not the company's.
Truth is you DON’T know where everyone else lives because (A) they flat out won’t tell you, (B) nobody talks to you anymore, (C) they run when they see you or most likely (D) all of the above.

It will be fine

Yes it’s on you. You failed to save, you failed to find a better job, you failed to adequately prepare for retirement. Crying about the only company that would hire you is absurd. Expecting a corporation to care about you is absurd. Own your failures and stop trying to blame some outside force, the choices were all yours.