Rickyb's George H W Bush memorial thread

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
the only time a world wide poll was done on "which country is the most dangerous?" USA won by a large margin.

it was the last time the poll was done as well...

Wow!
I am not surprised by results.
I hesitate traveling to New Orleans, Louisiana and now Calabasas, California.

Can you imagine the funding a project of this magnitude cost?
Do you recall if they mentioned the protocol used to establish the choices measured in this poll?
Thanks

bacha29

And you know exactly what the conversation entailed.
Fly on the wall?
Disgruntled embassy employee?
Translator trying to sell a story?

The suspense is killing me!
Recently declassified documents reveal that James Baker and Bush 41 told the Russians that NATO expansion would not extend beyond unified Germany's eastern border.

Look what you have today.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Recently declassified documents reveal that James Baker and Bush 41 told the Russians that NATO expansion would not extend beyond unified Germany's eastern border.

No treaty signed.
The world changes.

https://doi.org/10.1162/ISEC_a_00236

Many U.S. and allied policymakers and pundits counter, however, that Russian claims of a non-expansion commitment are a pretext for Russian adventurism. From this perspective, the United States never promised to limit NATO expansion, with NATO itself declaring in 2014: “No such pledge was made, and no evidence to back up Russia's claims has ever been produced.”

vantexan

As if that's a bad thing. Still smarting over communism not taking over the world?

rickyb

Wow!
I am not surprised by results.
I hesitate traveling to New Orleans, Louisiana and now Calabasas, California.

Can you imagine the funding a project of this magnitude cost?
Do you recall if they mentioned the protocol used to establish the choices measured in this poll?
Thanks
to be clear i mean dangerous in terms of likelihood of starting a war with another country.

to be clear i mean dangerous in terms of likelihood of starting a war with another country.
Are you talking about the pig war of 1859?

I wonder why the US has never taken over Canada? Seems like a no brainer. Increased land and resources. And would take very little effort.

rickyb

Are you talking about the pig war of 1859?

I wonder why the US has never taken over Canada? Seems like a no brainer. Increased land and resources. And would take very little effort.
US probably has taken over canada to some extent

rickyb

Aaron Maté‏Verified account @aaronjmate Dec 2

Aaron Maté Retweeted The New Yorker

The state of our media is such that it often sounds like state media:

Aaron Maté added,

The New YorkerVerified account @NewYorker
George H. W. Bush, who died on Friday, had an irreducible niceness to him, an appealing mixture of noblesse oblige, parody-begging goofiness, and boy-next-door bonhomie. http://nyer.center manager/2KKnKLy
43 replies 228 retweets 769 likes

rickyb

Nick Brana‏ @nick_brana Dec 2

Nick Brana Retweeted Hillary Clinton

Eulogies like these perpetuate the notion that no matter how heinous a politician’s crimes, their sins will be absolved upon death and their legacy will be sanitized. It encourages the politicians who prey upon the poor and the powerless today.

Nick Brana added,

Hillary ClintonVerified account @HillaryClinton
George H.W. Bush was a beloved father & grandfather, a war hero, a public servant, & a class act. In my experiences w/ him, I always valued his desire to listen, look at evidence & ask for ideas, even from people w/ different beliefs. My heart goes out to the entire Bush family.
13 replies 94 retweets 211 likes