Status
Not open for further replies.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I can see OP posting another good one.
"I rented an apartment, and someone came in and took all my stuff"
"It was not my fault"
"The landlord never showed or told me about locking the door"
"I will show up in the morning and let them know this is unacceptable, and they should replace all my stuff!"
The problem with a lot of these posts is the OP leaves out some important info so it is hard to help. It also seems to me that he is SOL unless this is a mechanical failure.
Of course they can't use the "I was never told this or was not trained properly" defense as we all know the company will counter and say they were trained properly.

There is probably more to this. We'll have to wait until his meeting to find out more. You practically have to have a lawyer in your back pocket for dealing with this company.

It also depends on the hub. With our hub , the last couple years there were so many accidents that they usually basically said "forget it" and you may be wrote up but kept your job. No big deal was their attitude.

And then with some hubs you can't make a single mistake or else lose your job.

Whither

Scofflaw
Isn’t this job fun sometimes?

It takes some grit, maybe even some masochism. :lol: Looking back, I'm not sure how I made it through the ringer of my first few months haha. I escaped forced 6th punches a couple months ago, on the cusp of my first pay raise, and recently won the bid on a route I wanted (e.g., not one I settled for) ... majority of days are smooth now (even with the high stop counts after stimulus and unemployment checks hit), feel as though I've learned my way around, developed solid routines, don't worry about mgmt and keep filing on 9.5 and encourage other drivers to do the same, already saving $1000/mo at bottom scale ... but I'll be damned if we don't earn every last penny.

Don't tell mgmt! but, when I recall the miserable jobs I worked during my teens, 20s and early 30s, the crap wages I earned, no union to have my back, I feel pretty good. There are plenty of people around the world that do work as stressful, exhausting, and dangerous as ours or worse, and have little to show for it ... that said, when the company oversteps its bounds, I'm all for giving them hell.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
I knew which ones were licensed and which ones weren't. I knew who worked nights, who didn't want me to both knock and ring their doorbells, I knew where people worked and where they lived, where people wanted their stuff left, which ones were cool with me "taking care of" their wine shipments, etc. Basically I was an overpaid stalker.
You know everything about everything but cant comprehend what is reality.

Nah
"Imo".

The drivers responsibility is to monitor the fluid level if you can observe it. The dvir is used to communicate the washer fluid deficiency to the mechanic. Whoever is tasked with filling it up, whether it be the mechanic or 22.3, 22.2 carwash employees idk. I'm a driver, responsible for writing up deficiencies. If the motor is running a bit warmer than normal shall I go get some antifreeze and fill it myself. Not going to happen.

The pre-Integrad training material stated that checking the fluids may or may not be the driver's responsibility, depending on the building. My point is the same as what you said: No matter what they say, you're the one driving it, so you should still include it in your pre-trip.

I agree that I'm not filling anything up on my own.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
It takes some grit, maybe even some masochism. :lol: Looking back, I'm not sure how I made it through the ringer of my first few months haha. I escaped forced 6th punches a couple months ago, on the cusp of my first pay raise, and recently won the bid on a route I wanted (e.g., not one I settled for) ... majority of days are smooth now (even with the high stop counts after stimulus and unemployment checks hit), feel as though I've learned my way around, developed solid routines, don't worry about mgmt and keep filing on 9.5 and encourage other drivers to do the same, already saving $1000/mo at bottom scale ... but I'll be damned if we don't earn every last penny.

Don't tell mgmt! but, when I recall the miserable jobs I worked during my teens, 20s and early 30s, the crap wages I earned, no union to have my back, I feel pretty good. There are plenty of people around the world that do work as stressful, exhausting, and dangerous as ours or worse, and have little to show for it ... that said, when the company oversteps its bounds, I'm all for giving them hell.

Just to let you know this will never change and only gets worse. I fought the company for almost 23 years. The best advice I ever got from ol timers is to show them you DON'T CARE.Once they realize that they tend to leave you alone .

11.19igrad

We had a fatality with a backing, horn honking shifter...but then the driver crushed against the dock had ear buds...but wait a minute, we are talking safety here. I had one of the few "new" Ford pkg. cars for several years. It had electric park brakes with a standard trans. A God send as my left elbow/arm always ached/tendinitis etc. from the damn parking brakes of old. UPS could not wait to get rid of all the Fords as the park brake system was expensive to maintain/repair. Luckily, I soon went to feeders. I NEVER use park brakes in civilian life. NEVER. Never had a roll away here or there.

Our buildings fire/disaster sound is the belt buzzer. I guess UPS was too cheap to buy a separate system. I asked why this was so- blank stares. I suggested that there is much delay in folks heading towards the exits in drills and such. Much apathy/indifference. Takes a little bit to note the cadence of the buzzer as its constantly sounding during operations. Noting that part-time sups continued to do hourly work the whole drill, never leaving the building on and on. Of course, my inquiries during safety meetings were met with derision/mocking/hate-kinda like on BC. It's weird as I always enjoyed being paid to do nothing but stand around. Watching mgt. chomping at the bit to "get back in there". We had 3 roll aways in one week, happily never a word. Not even a warning letter, just write up the damage...

To the OP: It's possible you were never trained. Possible. We have 20 something olds for on road feeder sups., never have driven more than a irreg. cart...maybe. Lawyering up? Wow.
not trained properly= possible fatalities, now thats WOW

11.19igrad

I can see OP posting another good one.
"I rented an apartment, and someone came in and took all my stuff"
"It was not my fault"
"The landlord never showed or told me about locking the door"
"I will show up in the morning and let them know this is unacceptable, and they should replace all my stuff!"
congratulations. you helped me realize what a :censored2: i am. im operating a company vehicle, not my own, im not a mechanic on any :censored2:ing vehicle, i need to be shown :censored2: just like you do about how things work and what to check for.

542thruNthru

congratulations. you helped me realize what a :censored2: i am. im operating a company vehicle, not my own, im not a mechanic on any :censored2:ing vehicle, i need to be shown :censored2: just like you do about how things work and what to check for.

Well at least you realized it. Next step is correcting it.

11.19igrad

The problem with a lot of these posts is the OP leaves out some important info so it is hard to help. It also seems to me that he is SOL unless this is a mechanical failure.
Of course they can't use the "I was never told this or was not trained properly" defense as we all know the company will counter and say they were trained properly.

There is probably more to this. We'll have to wait until his meeting to find out more. You practically have to have a lawyer in your back pocket for dealing with this company.

It also depends on the hub. With our hub , the last couple years there were so many accidents that they usually basically said "forget it" and you may be wrote up but kept your job. No big deal was their attitude.

And then with some hubs you can't make a single mistake or else lose your job.
what else do u wanna know?

Status
Not open for further replies.