roll away, never shown / told hand brake tightening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
They will say on a hill you should have turned your wheels towards the curb.

I remember this from training.

I asked "the professor" who was giving the class how were we supposed to do that in a manual steering vehicle at a standstill because hopping a curb is dangerous and could cause damage to the vehicle or someone else's property.

I didn't make any new friends that day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

An audible mechanism that beeps when you put the vehicle in reverse gear?
That would be a device someone should market, you know, like on a garbage truck.

Have you ever noticed that backup beepers become just part of overall background noise and that people tend to ignore them?

I asked about this and I was told that the drivers are more vigilant when they are beeping the horn and scanning the area they are backing in to rather than relying on a backup beeper to "warn" anyone in the area that they are backing up.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Have you ever noticed that backup beepers become just part of overall background noise and that people tend to ignore them?

I asked about this and I was told that the drivers are more vigilant when they are beeping the horn and scanning the area they are backing in to rather than relying on a backup beeper to "warn" anyone in the area that they are backing up.
Have you noticed that most companies that make frequent backs have "beepers" that distinguish the difference between the white noise of traffic honking their horns and the piercing sound of a large truck backing up that gets your attention for blocks whereas honking a horn is status quo on the street.

Not only that, but we've had multiple drivers called in on for sounding their horns at residential stops because they were disturbing third shifters and kids that were sleeping.

The back up beeper is much more distinguishable than the sound of a vehicle's horn in the midst of thousands of other horns you hear during the day. That's the familiar sound, not the piercing of the back up beeper and vigilance starts before you put the truck in drive or before you step out into the street.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
The only fluid I ever topped off was the windshield washer. Everything else was either done by the car wash or the shop. Not my job.
Why is windshield washer fluid maintenance part of "your job"?
That's not part of the methods.
Write it up on the dvir form if its half way gone.
SMH
You made up the rules as you went along and want everyone to apply it?
Good luck.

quad decade guy

We had a fatality with a backing, horn honking shifter...but then the driver crushed against the dock had ear buds...but wait a minute, we are talking safety here. I had one of the few "new" Ford pkg. cars for several years. It had electric park brakes with a standard trans. A God send as my left elbow/arm always ached/tendinitis etc. from the damn parking brakes of old. UPS could not wait to get rid of all the Fords as the park brake system was expensive to maintain/repair. Luckily, I soon went to feeders. I NEVER use park brakes in civilian life. NEVER. Never had a roll away here or there.

Our buildings fire/disaster sound is the belt buzzer. I guess UPS was too cheap to buy a separate system. I asked why this was so- blank stares. I suggested that there is much delay in folks heading towards the exits in drills and such. Much apathy/indifference. Takes a little bit to note the cadence of the buzzer as its constantly sounding during operations. Noting that part-time sups continued to do hourly work the whole drill, never leaving the building on and on. Of course, my inquiries during safety meetings were met with derision/mocking/hate-kinda like on BC. It's weird as I always enjoyed being paid to do nothing but stand around. Watching mgt. chomping at the bit to "get back in there". We had 3 roll aways in one week, happily never a word. Not even a warning letter, just write up the damage...

To the OP: It's possible you were never trained. Possible. We have 20 something olds for on road feeder sups., never have driven more than a irreg. cart...maybe. Lawyering up? Wow.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Have you noticed that most companies that make frequent backs have "beepers" that distinguish the difference between the white noise of traffic honking their horns and the piercing sound of a large truck backing up that gets your attention for blocks whereas honking a horn is status quo on the street.

Not only that, but we've had multiple drivers called in on for sounding their horns at residential stops because they were disturbing third shifters and kids that were sleeping.

The back up beeper is much more distinguishable than the sound of a vehicle's horn in the midst of thousands of other horns you hear during the day. That's the familiar sound, not the piercing of the back up beeper and vigilance starts before you put the truck in drive or before you step out into the street.

Go to a big city and you will see how backup beepers blend in with all of the other noise.

Most bid route drivers know which of their customers work nights or run an (illegal) daycare out of their homes and adjust accordingly.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why is windshield washer fluid maintenance part of "your job"?
That's not part of the methods.
Write it up on the dvir form if its half way gone.
SMH
You made up the rules as you went along and want everyone to apply it?
Good luck.

I used to like actually being able to see out of my windshield as I drove. Silly, huh?

I used to clean my windshield and door windows while refueling. Yes, I would climb up on to the bumper and take care of the windshield.

quad decade guy

We have FT car washers also and they all say they don't have enough time to do everything. PT sup says that is not their job. Our management team is very weak.

The declaration of the day is "no power unit washing" as folks were taking an hour etc. We have car washers but claim to not have time to wash vehicles. Odd. Mgt. says yeah they don't have time. Really odd. Then eventually, a driver refuses to drive a power unit, causing delays and is told/asked "don't be stupid or of course if its a safety item etc." Then we go around the tree again.

Here, we are responsible for every fluid except for any that are not accessible to check.

Status
Not open for further replies.