roll away, never shown / told hand brake tightening

Status
Not open for further replies.

quad decade guy

Why is windshield washer fluid maintenance part of "your job"?
That's not part of the methods.
Write it up on the dvir form if its half way gone.
SMH
You made up the rules as you went along and want everyone to apply it?
Good luck.

Here, ws washer write ups on the dvir were/are IGNORED by the mechanics. If pressed, you will learn that "it's not my/their job..."

Curious point you made, "part of the methods", what else do you do throughout your day, that aren't part of the methods? To get the job done?

quad decade guy

Refine your question? Have seen it with my own eyes many times. It just depends on if the mgt. team can hide it. Something like a public event is handled differently than an on yard for example. Maybe. Here, it's a "cardinal sin" like theft. No recourse etc. Automatic etc. But then, maybe not.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Refine your question? Have seen it with my own eyes many times. It just depends on if the mgt. team can hide it. Something like a public event is handled differently than an on yard for example. Maybe. Here, it's a "cardinal sin" like theft. No recourse etc. Automatic etc. But then, maybe not.

Fair points.

I would assume that one of the major factors would be if there were property damage as a result of the rollaway.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Here, ws washer write ups on the dvir were/are IGNORED by the mechanics. If pressed, you will learn that "it's not my/their job..."

Curious point you made, "part of the methods", what else do you do throughout your day, that aren't part of the methods? To get the job done?
I write it up under Safety and it gets done or the next morning the AM mechanic will be notified and either they fill it or the truck sits there until someone does and signs off the form.

Your "here" isn't everyone else's "here".

At no time was any driver trained that it was their job to do maintenance on the truck fluids and especially at $56/hr on overtime.
Let's just make this up as we go. That's what a dvir form is for.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
I used to like actually being able to see out of my windshield as I drove. Silly, huh?

I used to clean my windshield and door windows while refueling. Yes, I would climb up on to the bumper and take care of the windshield.
No one cares what you did or about your stupidity at work.
You have an overinflated opinion that what you say actually matters to people who do the job right. It's evident that you spew your supreme wisdom on here 24/7 because you have no life other than telling others how wise you are.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
i think the park didnt fully engage and shifted down to drive. and the handbrake was loose. will the gear shift move that far on its own? or did i think i put it in park and only put a loose handbrake up? :confused:
I would have gone to shop when back in yard and wrote it up as a safety item and have mechanic check for mechanical failure. that would get you off the hook if they found an inkling of an issue.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Negative. I was at Integrad fairly recently, so it's still fresh in my mind.

Checking the handbrake during pretrip? Yes. Adjusting tension? Not a word.
like i wrote before , drivers are not supposed to do adjustments. shop's job. if there is an issue you are supposed to write it up. or not even drive if it is safety related issue.

fishtm2001

As safety goes. remember folks, we are talking about a company that waited until it was sued before installing backup cameras.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Go to a big city and you will see how backup beepers blend in with all of the other noise.

Most bid route drivers know which of their customers work nights or run an (illegal) daycare out of their homes and adjust accordingly.
I work in a big city Mr. Knowitall. The non bid drivers who cover other routes and the bid drivers who get shoved into other areas thanks to the Orion abortion dont "know" which mother is trying to get their kids to sleep nor do they "know" who works thrid shift.

Btw, there are many state licenced home daycares, inspected by the health dept that has jurisdiction, and you wouldnt know the difference because you're an idiot.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
No.

My old building had two article 22.3s who spent half their day checking fluids during preload hours. Ultimately, no matter what the company tries to say, it is ultimately the driver's responsibility imo.
"Imo".

The drivers responsibility is to monitor the fluid level if you can observe it. The dvir is used to communicate the washer fluid deficiency to the mechanic. Whoever is tasked with filling it up, whether it be the mechanic or 22.3, 22.2 carwash employees idk. I'm a driver, responsible for writing up deficiencies. If the motor is running a bit warmer than normal shall I go get some antifreeze and fill it myself. Not going to happen.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
wow, dont u feel big and bad behind your computer?

screw-ups are avoidable if management would take 2 minutes to review :censored2: with us. 98% of their agenda and communication with us is all about quota. this blame is split between me, management, and the mechanics. on my on road after my incident in Jan, I drove a big 24 ft bulk truck and none of this handbrake stuff or parking wheel to curb was covered. nor was it covered anymore after integrad. but I also had no issues until now with a handbrake. we only drove in a little camp and around a few blocks at integrad. we were never shown actual examples of wheels to curb and checking handbrakes, loose vs tight. all i can do is learn from this.
Integrad deficient? Shocker.
Learn from it and expect the supes to lie about reviewing it with you. If its not on a training document you may have a chance.
At the end of the day, be apologetic and humble enough to get your job back. If they want you as a driver they'll keep you. Otherwise.....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I work in a big city Mr. Knowitall. The non bid drivers who cover other routes and the bid drivers who get shoved into other areas thanks to the Orion abortion dont "know" which mother is trying to get their kids to sleep nor do they "know" who works thrid shift.

Btw, there are many state licenced home daycares, inspected by the health dept that has jurisdiction, and you wouldnt know the difference because you're an idiot.

I knew which ones were licensed and which ones weren't. I knew who worked nights, who didn't want me to both knock and ring their doorbells, I knew where people worked and where they lived, where people wanted their stuff left, which ones were cool with me "taking care of" their wine shipments, etc. Basically I was an overpaid stalker.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I had a stop on a slight slope, as far as I know, I did my normal park and hand brake routine. I turn around after delivering, this #$%*%^$# truck is rolling back towards the right, into a yard crushing a mailbox. Its the worst nightmare dream-like experience I can't even explain. I just got reinstated after someone backed into my truck while I was out doing a delivery, now this.

What I can't fathom is how we are not drilled about checking the tightness of our hand brakes every day. It should be in our diad and there should be a daily routine check by mechanics that have signatures. I've never been told anything about tightening or loosening the handbrake. We are behind these trucks countless times doing deliveries, how are we not reminded to check this every day like we are told everything else, use horns, feet on pavement, etc.

I could have been killed, someone else could have been, this could have been absolutely devastating. I have some questions for a lawyer. How can the DOT not require management to regularly quiz us on handbrake checks? When we got back to the center, my sup tested the brake and it rolled in drive with the brake up. He showed me how to tighten it. Ive never been shown this. Ive never heard anyone talk about this ever. :sad::sad::sad:

It will be interesting to see what they say this morning. If you can provide an element of doubt ( mechanical failure ) you may be able to get through this.

Whither

Scofflaw
Reading this thread makes me think I was fortunate that an on-car showed me how to adjust the handbrake before we left the yard to start my road test.

Was also fortunate to learn my lesson painlessly re: parking during wintry-mix conditions a few months back. Was covering a route in the blind. Was after dark, had about 50 stops left, and roads were getting worse. Knew I had 5 heavier boxes for my next stop ... turns out it was mid-way up a steeper slope ... Spot looked clear so I pulled to the curb, put my 1000 in park, handbrake on, turned the wheels. I should've known better. Soon as I popped the bulkhead, let off the foot brake and turned for the cargo area, pkg car began to slide downhill. Black ice.

Well, there were parked cars on both sides of the street behind me. Maybe I should have just let the pkg car come to rest against the curb but had no way of knowing that it wouldn't start sliding and hit the parked car ~30 feet behind it ... So I tried to get myself out of trouble ... of course I knew that braking while skidding only makes it worse, and to steer into skids, but it's another thing to avoid the temptation to brake and also to correct skids when you're sliding backward down a hill in an 8-ton vehicle ... after a few minutes of nerve-wracking maneuvers I finally reached the top of the hill. Didn't touch anything besides the curb. Found a safe parking spot and EC'd the damned pkgs. Never been so stressed out on this job.

Sent a message about deteriorating road conditions and waited a couple minutes for a reply. Nothing. Called, got ahold of the OMS who told me others had reported the same and center manager's instructions were to not take chances and EC anything we thought risky. Didn't bring it in til after 830p and EC'd about 10 stops.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Reading this thread makes me think I was fortunate that an on-car showed me how to adjust the handbrake before we left the yard to start my road test.

Was also fortunate to learn my lesson painlessly re: parking during wintry-mix conditions a few months back. Was covering a route in the blind. Was after dark, had about 50 stops left, and roads were getting worse. Knew I had 5 heavier boxes for my next stop ... turns out it was mid-way up a steeper slope ... Spot looked clear so I pulled to the curb, put my 1000 in park, handbrake on, turned the wheels. I should've known better. Soon as I popped the bulkhead, let off the foot brake and turned for the cargo area, pkg car began to slide downhill. Black ice.

Well, there were parked cars on both sides of the street behind me. Maybe I should have just let the pkg car come to rest against the curb but had no way of knowing that it wouldn't start sliding and hit the parked car ~30 feet behind it ... So I tried to get myself out of trouble ... of course I knew that braking while skidding only makes it worse, and to steer into skids, but it's another thing to avoid the temptation to brake and also to correct skids when you're sliding backward down a hill in an 8-ton vehicle ... after a few minutes of nerve-wracking maneuvers I finally reached the top of the hill. Didn't touch anything besides the curb. Found a safe parking spot and EC'd the damned pkgs. Never been so stressed out on this job.

Sent a message about deteriorating road conditions and waited a couple minutes for a reply. Nothing. Called, got ahold of the OMS who told me others had reported the same and center manager's instructions were to not take chances and EC anything we thought risky. Didn't bring it in til after 830p and EC'd about 10 stops.
Isn’t this job fun sometimes? People have no idea man

clean hairy

I can see OP posting another good one.
"I rented an apartment, and someone came in and took all my stuff"
"It was not my fault"
"The landlord never showed or told me about locking the door"
"I will show up in the morning and let them know this is unacceptable, and they should replace all my stuff!"

Status
Not open for further replies.