roll away, never shown / told hand brake tightening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doing time

Geezus man, you sound completely helpless. Sue UPS and get them to put warning signs on the hand brake.
88D58A47-D3BE-4C18-BB1F-E3EE18D4E837.png

DRporch

i would have thought twisting anything would have :censored2:ed it up. do you just go up to things anywhere, anytime and twist them just because they can be??? :censored2:.
you can be upset but this is nobody but your own fault. Sorry your supervisor wasn’t their to hold your hand for the next 25years but eventually you have to put your big boy pants on and realize how to do your job. Quit making excuses this is nobody’s fault but your own. Blame whoever you want but at the end of the day YOU let the parking brake get lose YOU Lost your job. YOU had a roll away. YOU could have killed someone. If YOU need your hand held this bad take this as a sign and move on to a job you can handle.

DRporch

Incase you were wondering that black handle in the video is the parking brake. That super weird thing at the end turns to loosen or tighten. If you have an automatic P is for park

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
being a man is saying I need :censored2:ing reminders about the 7000 things we have to remember and develop into habits. it takes a man to admit he needs help. I'm not out here just for me, I have to protect the public. this isn't just me bitching. this is :censored2: i need to know.

Holy S*! How has this thread gone on for almost 20 pages and 350 posts? You need to grow the friend* up and take responsibility for your own actions. If you really didn't have the common sense or knowledge to apply the handbrake correctly, then you should have acted like a big boy and said to someone, "hey boss, I'm not real intelligent and I have no idea how things work, so is there anything else that I should learn about this truck before you send me out in the real world with this big brown death dealing truck?"

Instead of blaming everyone for your screw-up, be a man and not the drama queen that you are and say, "friend* it, boss I screwed up and didn't know how to work the brake, I should have asked for clarification on it's function. Please consider keeping me employed."

El Correcto

god is dead
no its not obvious that im supposed to twist anything other than the gas cap. we were told any issues only report to mechanics, not tighten or loosen anything.
Adjusting the brake is just part of driving one of these vehicles.
Sorry you had a run of bad luck, I’m sure there are plenty of dudes that would of made that mistake. Early in your career I’d say a roll away is good bye job. Maybe if you keep a good attitude they’ll rehire you for hub work.. doubtful if you can’t accept responsibility.

El Correcto

god is dead
Yeah, 350 posts and I can tell you one thing, somewhere you signed something that said you were trained.
He definitely did, adjusting the brake and ensuring the truck won’t roll is part of your pre trip, there is no way he drove a UPS vehicle without at least signing off on being trained in how to do a pre trip.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
honestly if youre not able to figure out that theres a knob on the end of the parking brake that clearly turns with ease then i dont think driving is for you. nobody told me how but you can clearly feel it turns its obvious
I've seen supes moving vehicles without wearing a seatbelt. Forgetting to tell a new driver that they need to tighten and test an e-brake, especially thoughout the day (which I'd bet $500 that very few drivers do)....absolutely a possibility.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Yeah, 350 posts and I can tell you one thing, somewhere you signed something that said you were trained.
It's almost as good as doing diad training on issues you will be terminated for (air delivery procedures, etc) that you'll possibly never see again but are 100% liable for.

Whither

Scofflaw
I've seen supes moving vehicles without wearing a seatbelt. Forgetting to tell a new driver that they need to tighten and test an e-brake, especially thoughout the day (which I'd bet $500 that very few drivers do)....absolutely a possibility.

Recently I refused to drive a pkg car because the hand brake, even when fully tightened, wouldn't hold the vehicle on a level surface in drive. Was a Sat, not a single mechanic around lol, no spare pkg cars that weren't already (partially) loaded. Told the center mgr, and he gave me a look and asked "How would you know that the parking brake isn't working?" I shot him a look back, "Because I did this thing called a pre-trip." He rolled off without giving me instructions, so I found a supe.

Supe's plan was to have me meet an air driver, swap cars on area. "The thing is, I told you this vehicle isn't safe to drive and must be red-tagged until the parking brake is repaired, so I can't give this pkg car to ______." "Well, he's only delivering 10 stops." "And what happens if the pkg car rolls away at his 9th stop and damages property or kills someone?" Supe reluctantly called the air driver and told him to head back, help me transfer my load, and take a partly-loaded pkg car to finish his deliveries.

Status
Not open for further replies.