roll away, never shown / told hand brake tightening

Status
Not open for further replies.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

which is why I've reported this to OSHA and why the union will be investigating why I never got my 30 training packet and why there were no training follow-ups after integrad. I'm not the first driver to think park has fully engaged but it didnt. My brake was up. and the truck was stationary all the way up until I'm walking back to it.
this was one of the worst moments of my life, I don't need your help to feel bad about this.

You reported this to OSHA????

Est.1998

yes, I was in a hurry. we don't have a job if we aren't. the truck was still my brake was up, I thought I was good. I really don't care, I deserved to know about tightening the brake. if that's too much to ask then :censored2: off. if I get it back, everything will get a 2nd glance to make sure its right.
I understand you're feeling awful about the situation but if park wasn't engaged then the hand brake wasn't the issue. So dwelling on being trained about tightening the brake is crazy. When you get your job back, be aware of your actions by slowing down and pacing yourself. Until then, try to enjoy your time off.

Est.1998

honestly if youre not able to figure out that theres a knob on the end of the parking brake that clearly turns with ease then i dont think driving is for you. nobody told me how but you can clearly feel it turns its obvious
I learned about tightening the hand brake from driving the old sticks. These new guys aren't required to know how to drive a stick. Last peak they had to rearrange staffing because a new guy couldn't drive the stick shift for his route.

11.19igrad

I understand you're feeling awful about the situation but if park wasn't engaged then the hand brake wasn't the issue. So dwelling on being trained about tightening the brake is crazy. When you get your job back, be aware of your actions by slowing down and pacing yourself. Until then, try to enjoy your time off.
trying... but it's not really working. I put everything into this. I guess since I was showed the loose handbrake specifically right after such a traumatic event, it's what I'm laser-focused on. that and dumbfounded how the truck wasn't in park.
fml. fml. fml.

DRporch

In reality the only way any of us have any sympathy is if it was a manual trans. You let an automatic truck roll away. I didn’t even know anyone could do that. Maybe if you weren’t a runner and followed the proper methods it would have rolled away. Can’t blame the parking brake when it was an automatic

I think we have at least 10 of them.
A few I preferred over an automatic.
All my personal vehicles were straight drives so as long as I could adjust the seat, and the clutch wasn't too tight, I preferred my PC to be a straight.
I don't mind driving a stick shift The only negative part is trying to roll a big package out the bulkhead door

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
yes, I was in a hurry. we don't have a job if we aren't. the truck was still my brake was up, I thought I was good. I really don't care, I deserved to know about tightening the brake. if that's too much to ask then :censored2: off. if I get it back, everything will get a 2nd glance to make sure its right.

I think you will have a lot better chance at panel if you let this whole training thing go and just own up to it.

Est.1998

I don't mind driving a stick shift The only negative part is trying to roll a big package out the bulkhead door
Lol, that and starting on a hill with cars behind you. Not to mention how crappy the cameras are in them. Backing up at night was like Russian roulette. And all of them are loud.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
ok why do agencies like OSHA exist? because everyone is just going to behave and be safe and properly educate people and know everything about everything? this is what oversight and follow up training methods are for. You want pilots just hoping they know everything? Police? People who produce food? Or do you want management in these companies to make sure employees are routinely tested and trained? and as an extra back up, the mechanics regularly do post-trip inspections to make sure drivers didn't miss something that needs to be reported?

sure we will post trip all 200 or so package cars at my hub each day. I mean how long would it really take, pull them all out of line, take them for a ride, because without driving it how the hell do I know if the thing shifts gears or brakes ok, bring each one into the shop and jack it up. Maybe we can hire 200 mechanics one for each truck, better yet 600 so each truck is covered 24 hours a day and he can go on route with the driver

Wow forget driving you have automotive DM written all over you. Hell maybe even a future automotive VP

11.19igrad

In reality the only way any of us have any sympathy is if it was a manual trans. You let an automatic truck roll away. I didn’t even know anyone could do that. Maybe if you weren’t a runner and followed the proper methods it would have rolled away. Can’t blame the parking brake when it was an automatic
not looking for sympathy. I know how I possibly rushed and messed up. what kills me is I was rushing 6 days a week in peak and never had any issues like this. but my sup said even with it in drive the brake should have held it and then they showed me the brake adjustment. had they not said those things, I wouldn't be talking about it. I'm just hoping to find a technicality in my safety training or on the truck that gets me one more shot. fml

Jakamoe

I work for teamsters, UPS contracted me
They never showed me about tightening the handbrake either. It wasn't until I got into a pc, did my pretrip and tested the ebrake that one day "wasn't" working. I found out by telling my sup my ebrake doesn't work. He promptly walked over and "fixed" it.
95% of this job is learning by mistakes or asking a crap ton of questions till they don't want to be bothered by you anymore.

OP do yourself a favor and Google "ups methods" or ask for a copy of all 350 or whatever it is. Memorize them. Stop running, get out of the mindset you need to scratch everyday to keep your job. I'm not saying be 2 hours over everyday either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.