roll away, never shown / told hand brake tightening

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you can do this in a CRX, you can call it anything you'd like. That little zoom zoom should be in a museum.
Click the box for the full story...

Holy. :censored2:. That's impressive.

So @11.19igrad did return to work!?!?
ooooooohhhh burrrrnnnnn.

tenor (17).gif

11.19igrad

so apparently, you can cause hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars in damage in an accident, but if you were driving- your job is safe. if it rolled because no alarms went off and because the truck stayed put for 2 minutes and you cause $150 damage to a mailbox, you're done. the only fatal accidents ive seen in the press about ups have been drivers who - while operating the truck- hit pedestrians!! not a single one was from a rollaway. if you're driving a ups truck, people assume you see them and will not run them over. but a handful assumed wrong and those drivers who have actually taken a life probably kept their job!! this latest freight crash was speeding in rain and he will probably keep his job! i killed a mailbox, never had even just one rollaway quiz with a sup at a stop or even a pre-trip quiz at the hub and im done. utter bs! accidents should be judged as cardinal offenses over a certain dollar amount and based on training the company has to prove you had specific to the accident. this is just like saying if a white dude steals let him go if a black dude steals he gets locked up! whatever convoluted crap the contract says is missing the point. accidents are horrible and however they occur - the training history needs to be reviewed and then the disciplinary action matches up to the amount of damage inflicted. after an accident there is a mandatory training probation during which if it happens again, thens its over for good. and 3 strikes over $500 in damage you're out end of story.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
so apparently, you can cause hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars in damage in an accident, but if you were driving- your job is safe. if it rolled because no alarms went off and because the truck stayed put for 2 minutes and you cause $150 damage to a mailbox, you're done. the only fatal accidents ive seen in the press about ups have been drivers who - while operating the truck- hit pedestrians!! not a single one was from a rollaway. if you're driving a ups truck, people assume you see them and will not run them over. but a handful assumed wrong and those drivers who have actually taken a life probably kept their job!! this latest freight crash was speeding in rain and he will probably keep his job! i killed a mailbox, never had even just one rollaway quiz with a sup at a stop or even a pre-trip quiz at the hub and im done. utter bs! accidents should be judged as cardinal offenses over a certain dollar amount and based on training the company has to prove you had specific to the accident. this is just like saying if a white dude steals let him go if a black dude steals he gets locked up! whatever convoluted crap the contract says is missing the point. accidents are horrible and however they occur - the training history needs to be reviewed and then the disciplinary action matches up to the amount of damage inflicted. after an accident there is a mandatory training probation during which if it happens again, thens its over for good. and 3 strikes over $500 in damage you're out end of story.

Dude;

You need to move on with your life.

Suggesting Integrad should have a 1 hour course on using the handbrake ?

What's next.... a 1 hour course on turning in the mirror, and putting on your 4-ways ?

A rollaway accident is a cardinal sin.

Quit trying to play the martyr. You're not the first person it's happened too.... that got fired.

Continually whining on BrownCafe, is not going to change anything.

-Bug-

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Dude;

You need to move on with your life.

Suggesting Integrad should have a 1 hour course on using the handbrake ?

What's next.... a 1 hour course on turning in the mirror, and putting on your 4-ways ?

A rollaway accident is a cardinal sin.

Quit trying to play the martyr. You're not the first person it's happened too.... that got fired.

Continually whining on BrownCafe, is not going to change anything.

-Bug-
I will say this, every driver I know that had a roll away got fired, but they also got their jobs back. Not sure what happened with the OP.

quad decade guy

I'll try this:

OP-It isn't about the damn mailbox or money! It's about WHAT CAN HAPPEN! Like, a kid, a group of kids etc(next time). Get it? Rollaways are not tolerated(exceptions noted)(a whole other topic).

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I will say this, every driver I know that had a roll away got fired, but they also got their jobs back.

Every case, is based on its merits.

A veteran employee (who has something in the bank) can receive a different outcome.

Not sure what happened with the OP.

He was a newbie.

It's apparent.... the company had no confidence in his/her abilities.

They decided to cut their losses.

It happens.

-Bug-

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
I hear the driver's attitude in the meeting can play a role as well:
I was thinking that as well. I’ve never been to panel but I’ve heard from other drivers to be humble and at least act like you learned your lesson. Going in there guns blazing and telling them what’s what is not going to end well for you.

11.19igrad

I'll try this:

OP-It isn't about the damn mailbox or money! It's about WHAT CAN HAPPEN! Like, a kid, a group of kids etc(next time). Get it? Rollaways are not tolerated(exceptions noted)(a whole other topic).
ok so running over pedestrians and totaling a tractor trailer on the interstate is tolerated??? kids are everywhere like, crossing the street, riding on the interstate... why only place that scenario in my situation and not anyone elses???? the only time kids were mentioned in training is looking under the truck and blind spots before leaving a stop.

11.19igrad

I was thinking that as well. I’ve never been to panel but I’ve heard from other drivers to be humble and at least act like you learned your lesson. Going in there guns blazing and telling them what’s what is not going to end well for you.
i didnt even go to panel. i was going to go thirsday nd friday if i wasnt called by Wednesday and I was called and union rep handled it. you mean to tell me you can be as wreckless as you want, as long as you were driving and you pretend to be humble thats all there is to it??

11.19igrad

Every case, is based on its merits.

A veteran employee (who has something in the bank) can receive a different outcome.

He was a newbie.

It's apparent.... the company had no confidence in his/her abilities.

They decided to cut their losses.

It happens.

-Bug-
a union steward had i think 7 major accidents before they finally kicked him off driving he works in hub full time. cutting losses?? no more like cutting anyone who questions the level of training required and received to perform at the level they expect from people who have never driven commercially.

clean hairy

I will say this, every driver I know that had a roll away got fired, but they also got their jobs back. Not sure what happened with the OP.
They most likely owned up (behaved like an adult) to the fact they botched up by not making sure the handbrake was engaged.
I dout any of them went on an endless "not my fault, it is YOUR fault" tyrade from the time it happened, continuing for weeks after.
In this case, never taking responsibility for the mishap gets you nowhere fast.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
i didnt even go to panel. i was going to go thirsday nd friday if i wasnt called by Wednesday and I was called and union rep handled it. you mean to tell me you can be as wreckless as you want, as long as you were driving and you pretend to be humble thats all there is to it??
Body of work has a lot to do with it too. We had a shifter have a rollaway about 2-3 years ago. He was walked out but got his job back. Why? He’s been with UPS for 30 years, shows up every day on time, and this is his first infraction. I’m sure he went to panel too with puppy eyes because that’s how you play the game.

You were still in your packet so you hadn’t established that body of work yet. Also I don’t know if you were off the street or out of the hub but if you’re from the street that means you weren’t covered by the union yet. And that right there is full stop the reason you were let go.

11.19igrad

Body of work has a lot to do with it too. We had a shifter have a rollaway about 2-3 years ago. He was walked out but got his job back. Why? He’s been with UPS for 30 years, shows up every day on time, and this is his first infraction. I’m sure he went to panel too with puppy eyes because that’s how you play the game.

You were still in your packet so you hadn’t established that body of work yet. Also I don’t know if you were off the street or out of the hub but if you’re from the street that means you weren’t covered by the union yet. And that right there is full stop the reason you were let go.
dude you must be new to this thread. i had been a preloader for 5 months before driving

Status
Not open for further replies.