roll away, never shown / told hand brake tightening

Status
Not open for further replies.

11.19igrad

I own my part of messing up....I won't take the blame....wow.

And here I thought the most pathetic thing on BC was a management-friendly retiree turned tax man in upstate new york chiming in on :censored2: he knows nothing about...

Don't worry @cosmo1 clearly I thought wrong too.
all u guys pick and choose what i say.

I said i wont take ALL the blame.

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
we should have a drivers manual. sups have to earn their living. corporate has to earn theirs. im just inconvienent so everyone wants me to eat :censored2: and piss off. this was a complete joke and mockery of someone trying to work and learn a new job, i own my part of messing up but why is it getting water out of a stone to acknowledge their part in my training??
no i will not take all the blame!! i was only driving 2 months!!
You have a driver’s manual. The 340 Methods.

all u guys pick and choose what i say.

I said i wont take ALL the blame.

So, over the course of the day, as your hand brake at some point had zero resistance when setting it, it never occurred to you that it might not be functioning appropriately? Was it like, "Oh, hey, this brake gets easier to set as you get more tired throughout your workday, what a great idea! And they put this twisty thingy on the end because twisty thingys are AWESOME!!!"

You were the only one in the package car, you are the one who probably didn't put it into park, it was literally ALL your fault. You get ALL of the blame.

MisplacedRailWorker

You have a driver’s manual. The 340 Methods.
@11.19igrad I don’t think you’re hearing me right. I’m not trying to engage with you or say that you’re right or wrong, and I commend you for still posting despite all of the kickback from these guys.

But I’m being very technical if you notice my sentences. There’s a reason why. It’s not because I’m some military robot who can’t process a thought without it sounding like something straight out of the GPO or a troubleshooting manual for a telephone switch. It’s because I want to teach you something, that you can use for your career and your next job, and that is that corporate America is very technical.

I worked for two Class 1 freight railroads before Amtrak. In between the layoffs, I worked a great gig at what is called a “short line” or Class 3.

Class 3 was very lucrative and had great benefits. Gravy. I would have stayed for life, but I was fired. One night I walk out of the yard office with my Bluetooth in my ear. Anybody who’s ever been in trucking knows that once you start wearing a Bluetooth, you forget that thing is even there. It’s a habit. Regardless, company policy was that there should be no personal electronics in your possession once you enter the actual rail yard.

Now I could’ve claimed a million things: whistleblower protection, I was the only guy who set handbrakes, inconsistent enforcement of safety policies, retaliation for snitching on a supervisor’s son, etc.

But I knew I had no argument, because technically, I violated company policy. All because I had a tiny Bluetooth earpiece (powered-off, too!) in my ear and it was caught on camera. They could have double fisted me in the be back; I still would’ve had no recourse. I broke a rule. I knew that, and was walked off the property graciously.

My point is, no matter what you think is right or is better safety policy, or how training should be, etc., the company is not gonna budge and certainly doesn’t want to hear it from you.

I could say I Accidentally left it in my ear, it’s a ridiculous rule, no one warned me before I walked out “hey take that out of your ear!” Etc. THEY DONT WANNA HEAR IT. DECISION HAS ALREADY BEEN MADE.

You’ll have a much better experience at your next job if you remember this, and remain vigilant, paranoid, whatever you want to call it, and always be blameless.

You need to be blameless, not sound like it. Especially in transportation, I say again: They are very technical about everything. Not in your favor, either. You’re not going to win because they resort to technicalities like the posts I replied with at any and every moment where blame needs to be placed.

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
@11.19igrad

I understand your frustration, feeling like you training was lacking.

But, it's kind of a "sink or swim" type situation and you will get no sympathy here.

they couldnt take 2 hours to let us go practice all methods

That's why you get 30 days to qualify, with periodic supervision on the truck to reinforce the methods.

and took an hour to go thru a rollaway prevention course?

I'm not sure if this statement should make me laugh or cry.

I find it very implausible that you attended Integrad in Atlanta (of all places) and you weren't instructed on this.

If you feel the need to constantly vent about this.... have at it.

But the reality won't change and neither will UPS.

Better luck elsewhere.

-Bug-

MisplacedRailWorker

So, over the course of the day, as your hand brake at some point had zero resistance when setting it, it never occurred to you that it might not be functioning appropriately? Was it like, "Oh, hey, this brake gets easier to set as you get more tired throughout your workday, what a great idea! And they put this twisty thingy on the end because twisty thingys are AWESOME!!!"

You were the only one in the package car, you are the one who probably didn't put it into park, it was literally ALL your fault. You get ALL of the blame.
The day was off to a bad start, technically. Technically, which is what they fired him on, he didn’t perform the 340 methods prescribed pre-trip.

In all honesty I’ve never observed the full 340 pre-trip being done on a package car in real life. Particularly the part requiring you to test the parking brake will hold against movement. But it was written into the methods specifically for people like @11.19igrad

However, OP wants to place blame on the company, but the company has covered their bases by illustrating what should have been done; technically he should’ve been fired before he left the property because he did not test brakes, probably falsified records in the DIAD by pressing Y for pre-trip, and therefore has several policy violations against him.

11.19igrad

it did have resistance the truck sat there for almost 2 minutes fine then started rolling out of the blue so obviously the brake was holding it or something snapped out of gear

11.19igrad

@11.19igrad

I understand your frustration, feeling like you training was lacking.

But, it's kind of a "sink or swim" type situation and you will get no sympathy here.

That's why you get 30 days to qualify, with periodic supervision on the truck to reinforce the methods.

I'm not sure if this statement should make me laugh or cry.

I find it very implausible that you attended Integrad in Atlanta (of all places) and you weren't instructed on this.

If you feel the need to constantly vent about this.... have at it.

But the reality won't change and neither will UPS.

Better luck elsewhere.

-Bug-

they didn't even start my 30 day pack. my first situation happened on day 3 and they hadn't even started my pack. theres a technicality for you. and we didn't talk about rollaways at all. thats been established on this thread by a few other drivers from their experiences also.

542thruNthru

they didn't even start my 30 day pack. my first situation happened on day 3 and they hadn't even started my pack. theres a technicality for you. and we didn't talk about rollaways at all. thats been established on this thread by a few other drivers from their experiences also.
beating-a-dead-horse-gif-4.gif

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
There's a world full of opportunity out there, don't let this incident become the defining moment of your life.

FedUPSer9816

Full Service
Dude you weren't even here long enough to be this butt hurt over getting fired. I was canned after 17 years on a job. I owned up to my actions, made sure to do better next time elsewhere. And you know what, I moved on to bigger & better things. If you're this stuck on "they didn't hold my hand 24/7, then there's not much hope for your future success elsewhere, cus anything that happens will always be someone else's fault.

This is a big boy job with big boy responsibilities. You didn't make the cut, that's ok. A million other places, things you can do. You want to drive so badly, ever heard of FedEx, DHL, Amazon, Lasership, Post Office, e.t.c?

11.19igrad

Dude you weren't even here long enough to be this butt hurt over getting fired. I was canned after 17 years on a job. I owned up to my actions, made sure to do better next time elsewhere. And you know what, I moved on to bigger & better things. If you're this stuck on "they didn't hold my hand 24/7, then there's not much hope for your future success elsewhere, cus anything that happens will always be someone else's fault.

This is a big boy job with big boy responsibilities. You didn't make the cut, that's ok. A million other places, things you can do. You want to drive so badly, ever heard of FedEx, DHL, Amazon, Lasership, Post Office, e.t.c?

true dat

MisplacedRailWorker

You're supposed to check the tightness of the hand brake and make sure it is functioning correctly. That's part of your pre trip. This one is on you. Also tighten it each time you use it.
Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 2.06.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 2.08.39 PM.png

We resolved this issue already; @Misthios arrested it on the first page. STFU now. No alarms. Unless you want to invent one and patent it you might make a few bucks; and know that UPS won't buy it.

11.19igrad

View attachment 302667View attachment 302666

We resolved this issue already; @Misthios arrested it on the first page. STFU now. No alarms. Unless you want to invent one and patent it you might make a few bucks; and know that UPS won't buy it.

gonna try this again since last one was deleted.

the methods outlined are for a manual truck. there is no reference to the handbrake adjustment after every use.

we never practiced a curbed wheel, parking on a hill or had any courses tests or
lectures about rollaway prevention.

if its a cardinal offense , rollaway prevention should be at the forefront of the criteria to pass integrad.

if they want 98 stops an hour in every weather possible, and dudes that only drove their own car in life so far- for $20/hr - put alarms in to help drivers catch anything wrong. ups isn't god and neither are drivers.

what an intolerable amount of common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.