Route selection

542thruNthru

Been there done that, doesn't do a damn thing. A few months ago I had done an in town route Mon and Tues. then Wednesday morning my supervisor text me saying I'd be out of town and to come prepared. Texted back saying I wanted the same route I had done the previous 2 days and his reply was No.

What I used to love about that is, cover drivers can't be held to the numbers. So I would do 13 hours and bring back stops every time. Guess who stopped being moved last minute.

This guy!
giphy-12.gif

They put the vacations for the following week on the board also any routes the driver is off long term

Bid cover drivers sign up for the week or Incase of long term they sign for the duration
Not in the West. Usually mgmt puts cover drivers on any empty rte. (vaca or sick). By area knowledge. Higher seniority driver can bump anyone with lower seniority.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Ok let's say you did not have your own bid route and you've been a driver for 25 years. Then you come in one day and you are on a rural route with 100 stops and 300 miles in the dead of winter. You're saying you would just accept that route when a new driver with less than a year of seniority gets a 80 stop resi route in town? If you say yes, I know you're even more full of :censored2: than I originally thought.

Where in the name of hell are you that your center has 100 stop, 300 mile rural routes and 80 stop residential routes in town?

Rack em

Made the Podium
Where in the name of hell are you that your center has 100 stop, 300 mile rural routes and 80 stop residential routes in town?
We have a lot of messed up routes. Multiple 100+ stop routes that will do between 250-300 miles. The 80 stop routes are junk routes they put in and sometimes throw someone's pick ups on it.

barnyard

KTM rider
I am not in the West, so grain of salt and all that....

In my building, every Spring when the end of layoffs are near, we have a 10 minutes early start for all bid cover guys (or unassigned or extra board, the meaning is the same, unassigned FT drivers). The driver supe passes out a sheet to every driver that shows what routes we know and which we prefer. I just bid a route, but I knew more than 3/4s the routes in my building. The routes that I did not want to do at all, I crossed off for knowledge.

On Thursdays, I would get message asking what route I wanted to do, they worked off the list and would typically send me only my top 2 or 3, rather than the whole vacation list. If there were only crappy routes for the week, I would go unassigned and work call ins for the week.

There were occasionally weeks where they wanted to train someone on a route that I knew. If there was something agreeable AND a lower person did not bump the new person wanting to learn a route, I would do it.

I was the #1 unassigned guy in my building for 5 or 6 years and I have my own bid route now and I am not really liking it. I would much rather do an 85 stop rural route than a 130 stop in town route.

542thruNthru

Not in the West. Usually mgmt puts cover drivers on any empty rte. (vaca or sick). By area knowledge. Higher seniority driver can bump anyone with lower seniority.

You're both right. In my local we do bid weekly vaca routes. So yes it does happen in the West. Just not where you are.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I was the #1 unassigned guy in my building for 5 or 6 years and I have my own bid route now and I am not really liking it. I would much rather do an 85 stop rural route than a 130 stop in town route.
I don't mind doing either most days, but there are days when I want to be off earlier and that just doesn't happen on the rural routes.

barnyard

KTM rider
I don't mind doing either most days, but there are days when I want to be off earlier and that just doesn't happen on the rural routes.

It does when you are on the 9/5 list. 3 of my 4 faves, the bid drivers were on the 9/5 list and the 4th, they would get 10-15 stops off to make it a reasonable day.

Rack em

Made the Podium
It does when you are on the 9/5 list. 3 of my 4 faves, the bid drivers were on the 9/5 list and the 4th, they would get 10-15 stops off to make it a reasonable day.
It's not easy to get on the 9/5 list as an unassigned driver in my center. The day I can I will be on that list if I have my own route or not.

barnyard

KTM rider
When the language was changed, I was on the list within 2 months. After that, my bosses did a pretty good job of keeping me off the list by not loading me up. We have a new dispatch/preload supe that did not make that effort and I have been on the list since he has been in our building and am fairly certain that I will have to refile to get on it every time it expires.

rod

Retired 22 years
We have a lot of messed up routes. Multiple 100+ stop routes that will do between 250-300 miles. The 80 stop routes are junk routes they put in and sometimes throw someone's pick ups on it.

Holy crap!!!! In my day 300 miles got you somewhere around 25-30 stops for a 9 - 10 hour day. Our high mileage routes were mostly dirt roads however.