Rumor floating around, raises pushed back to April 2020

Oldfart

Amazon seems to think it's not a problem.

Maybe they know something FedEx doesn't?
Amazon is running off higher paid workers and hiring cheaper replacements? Interesting. I thought Amazon was hiring about anyone they could and paying nearly nothing to deliver packages. Why don't you enlighten us with some facts and figures to support your post.

MAKAVELI

Whatever you say Tupac. They actually kept me from finishing my retirement papers. How is the crack business these days?
Yeah I'm calling Bs on that. You can't afford to retire. Your management knew that and figured you were one those who will drive tiil they die. Took your swing pay, only have you on road a few hours a week and now a spot for someone younger and cheaper. It's a win for your management.:happy2:

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Amazon is running off higher paid workers and hiring cheaper replacements? Interesting. I thought Amazon was hiring about anyone they could and paying nearly nothing to deliver packages. Why don't you enlighten us with some facts and figures to support your post.
Only you and @rickyb (and maybe Dil-Do) can convolute an argument.

The point was, Amazon obviously doesn't see a problem acquiring enough drivers in order to go into direct competition with both FedEx and UPS. Word on the street is compensation is in the $15/hr range, comparable to FedEx.

They must know something FedEx doesn't, right?

Oldfart

Only you and @rickyb (and maybe Dil-Do) can convolute an argument.

The point was, Amazon obviously doesn't see a problem acquiring enough drivers in order to go into direct competition with both FedEx and UPS. Word on the street is compensation is in the $15/hr range, comparable to FedEx.

They must know something FedEx doesn't, right?
Few $ less than Fedex is some markets. A couple $ less in others. Until Amazon starts to deliver packages other than theirs, they won't be an absolute competitor.

!Retired!

giphy.gif

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I realize I'm arguing a wildly speculative scenario, but you should contemplate what a mass exodus of topped out employees who are replaced with starting pay newbies would entail. With a $10-12 differential per hour and the mighty ROADS system making it all possible, and Amazon now publicly stating that it is entering into direct competition, it sounds like the perfect situation for Memphis to take a desperate gamble like this.

Or not.

People are fretting about the possibility of Amazon "competing" with FedEx and UPS despite the fact that Amazon is in no way capable of doing so to any relevant extent.

59 Dano

Amazon is about to learn a lot of hard lessons about the transportation business.

vantexan

Amazon is about to learn a lot of hard lessons about the transportation business.
They can't hire the right consultants and spend billions on infrastructure? Look at where they were at 20 years ago compared to today. Plenty of industry exec's will jump ship to guide them for the right money.

SmithBarney

Want a raise? give yourself one...
-walk, don't run.
-Do the speed limit.
-Make positive customer contacts

It'll add 15-30min a day.

for example if you added just 20 minutes of work each day,at $18.00/hr(not accounting for OT) yes some make more, most make less... ;) that's an extra 1560.00 a year... actually probably closer to $2300 with OT.

You do the Math:
52weeks(20min*5days)/60 = 86.7hrsworked
Then multiply your wage(or your OT wage) by 86.7

Your Welcome,
Your accountant and wife.

Oldfart

Want a raise? give yourself one...
-walk, don't run.
-Do the speed limit.
-Make positive customer contacts

It'll add 15-30min a day.

for example if you added just 20 minutes of work each day,at $18.00/hr(not accounting for OT) yes some make more, most make less... ;) that's an extra 1560.00 a year... actually probably closer to $2300 with OT.

You do the Math:
52weeks(20min*5days)/60 = 86.7hrsworked
Then multiply your wage(or your OT wage) by 86.7

Your Welcome,
Your accountant and wife.
Take advantage of clocking in the full 5 minutes early you are allowed. That is about $700 a year for a full time courier who gets OT nearly everyday.

59 Dano

They can't hire the right consultants and spend billions on infrastructure? Look at where they were at 20 years ago compared to today.

Twenty years ago, they set out to fill a perceived need in the marketplace that wasn't being met and it was their belief that the emerging internet could fill it.

If they want to spend billions on infrastructure just to enter into an oligopolistic market, that's... different. It should be easy, what with all the consultants floating around with nothing better to do these days.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
"The business is very competitive and capital intensive." There.
But they have the capital, as well as a captive client (themselves). Enhancing what they're already in the process of doing would be icing on their cake. Not a lot of downside in that scenario.