Rumor floating around, raises pushed back to April 2020

Oldfart

FedEx Express has been charging premium prices all along but the service has been unreliable for quite some time. The freight is more often late than on time and has been for quite awhile. Maybe Amazon can figure out how to land their planes in a timely manner which is what Express has apparently forgotten how to do.
As usual doom and gloom. Service % is pretty steady. Peaks and valleys but what I saw online was a pretty steady %.

vantexan

15 consecutive or total years?
Was with the company 11 years, quit at $13.50, C payscale. Rehired at $10.85, quit 10 weeks shy of 15 years at $18.17, B payscale. Rehired at 15 something the last time, 51 years old, A payscale, company went to new pay plan a few months before 55th birthday, I would be almost 64 before topping out, took pension at 55.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
That's exactly what couriers were saying about Express for many years.

A 12 year topped out pilot at Atlas makes less than a 2nd year first officer at Express.
A 12 year topped out captain at ABX makes less than a first year captain at Express.
And Amazon is pitting those contractors against each other to drive wages down even further.

SmithBarney

That's not a raise, that is what we would call milking it. Hard to do when you're already barely making it back for the outbound shuttle every night.

Given the choice between more hours or a higher hourly rate I'll take the pay rate every time...
It's not "milking it" if you are working as instructed.
Not Running and Not Speeding
Making Positive Contact with customers isn't instructed as much, but spending a few minutes each day(not every stop) to ask a customer how things are with FDX, won't be frowned on.
If a manager asks "Hey DEX84, your gap report shows you were at ABC LogJammers for 5 minutes..."
You can say "LogJammers had a question about shipments, etc etc.."

of course don't lie, make good choices. None of this is milking it.

Milking it would be Filling up your Tank(which takes about 4-5minutes for 20gallons) then taking 10minutes to go inside a get cheezy nachos and a redbull.

If you aren't getting back in time, then you are being over dispatched, either drop stops in the morning, or cut your break back without violating DOT guidelines.
Have the manager review rte goals if you want it fixed... if not oh well.

Sure we'd all take the higher wage, but you can't control that. I was speaking to the stuff you can control.

Star B

White Lightening
If you aren't getting back in time, then you are being over dispatched, either drop stops in the morning, or cut your break back without violating DOT guidelines.

It's also called DEX1s. That'll get stuff fixed real quick and if you're not friend-ing off on your route, you have nothing to worry about.

dex 84

Making Positive Contact with customers isn't instructed as much, but spending a few minutes each day(not every stop) to ask a customer how things are with FDX, won't be frowned on.
If a manager asks "Hey DEX84, your gap report shows you were at ABC LogJammers for 5 minutes..."
You can say "LogJammers had a question about shipments, etc etc.."

of course don't lie, make good choices. None of this is milking it.

Milking it would be Filling up your Tank(which takes about 4-5minutes for 20gallons) then taking 10minutes to go inside a get cheezy nachos and a redbull.

Sure we'd all take the higher wage, but you can't control that. I was speaking to the stuff you can control.

I wear my seatbelt, I answer any questions customers have, but I work at a brisk pace all day long. I'm not casually strolling to the door, I'm walking quickly. I usually make it back an hour to fifteen minutes before the shuttle has to leave.

I don't care to take extra time to elongate my day. I just get done as quick as I can safely, and that determines how many hours I get.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Twenty years ago, they set out to fill a perceived need in the marketplace that wasn't being met and it was their belief that the emerging internet could fill it.

If they want to spend billions on infrastructure just to enter into an oligopolistic market, that's... different. It should be easy, what with all the consultants floating around with nothing better to do these days.
"In many ways, the burgeoning Amazon Shipping business seems to resemble Amazon Web Services (AWS), the company's cloud-computing juggernaut, which it originally developed as an in-house project to serve its own e-commerce needs but is now the biggest enterprise cloud business in the U.S. by adoption. AWS posted an operating profit of $7.3 billion in 2018.

While Amazon is facing entrenched competition in logistics, it could very much follow the same path it did with AWS, as the company can take the lessons and data from providing logistics and delivery services for itself and apply that knowledge to serving its customers. Amazon has shown myriad times before that it's unafraid to challenge industry leaders even in areas where it has no previous experience."

Hmmm, sounds a lot like what I said.

59 Dano

Surely Based on coming to work everyday...
3/5 days last week we had late or "disrupted" service
4/5 the week prior
If you don't work here anymore, why would you know how bad service levels are.

1) It's a bit of a stretch to see an issue at your station and assume that it's the case for the entire country.

2) Cactus is making the claim, and he no longer works for the company
2a) I stated in another thread that I may return depending on how the buyouts go. That got changed; I return on Monday, March 4th.

59 Dano

"In many ways, the burgeoning Amazon Shipping business seems to resemble Amazon Web Services (AWS), the company's cloud-computing juggernaut, which it originally developed as an in-house project to serve its own e-commerce needs but is now the biggest enterprise cloud business in the U.S. by adoption. AWS posted an operating profit of $7.3 billion in 2018.

While Amazon is facing entrenched competition in logistics, it could very much follow the same path it did with AWS, as the company can take the lessons and data from providing logistics and delivery services for itself and apply that knowledge to serving its customers. Amazon has shown myriad times before that it's unafraid to challenge industry leaders even in areas where it has no previous experience."

Hmmm, sounds a lot like what I said.

Would you like to compare the vast differences between AWS and a shipping company, especially the overhead required for each and the differences between margins?

I appreciate the idea that because Amazon does a few things amazingly well, they can do everything amazingly well... but that's an ignorant way to form an opinion when that's 99% of your reasoning.

Oldfart

1) It's a bit of a stretch to see an issue at your station and assume that it's the case for the entire country.

2) Cactus is making the claim, and he no longer works for the company
2a) I stated in another thread that I may return depending on how the buyouts go. That got changed; I return on Monday, March 4th.
The Hub is always in need of Handlers

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Would you like to compare the vast differences between AWS and a shipping company, especially the overhead required for each and the differences between margins?

I appreciate the idea that because Amazon does a few things amazingly well, they can do everything amazingly well... but that's an ignorant way to form an opinion when that's 99% of your reasoning.
FedEx does a few things amazingly well....except for discerning the qualities of people they rehire.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

Maybe you can tell me... I just spent an hour trying to find the info on daily/weekly minimums at work. I tried every key word I could think of in the People Manyal and the DGO Best Practices. No luck. Do you know where I can find it?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
FedEx does a few things amazingly well....except for discerning the qualities of people they rehire.
They’re doing a much worse job with the new hires. A guy at my station was hired as a PT PM courier. He couldn’t cut it so they made him Tues-Sat FO with a Saturday route. He can’t cut it with the Saturday route either. lol.

59 Dano

Maybe you can tell me... I just spent an hour trying to find the info on daily/weekly minimums at work. I tried every key word I could think of in the People Manyal and the DGO Best Practices. No luck. Do you know where I can find it?

Weekly is (was, may have changed) in Chapter 4 of the People Manual under the "Categories of Employment" section.