Rumor floating around, raises pushed back to April 2020

vantexan

Twenty years ago, they set out to fill a perceived need in the marketplace that wasn't being met and it was their belief that the emerging internet could fill it.

If they want to spend billions on infrastructure just to enter into an oligopolistic market, that's... different. It should be easy, what with all the consultants floating around with nothing better to do these days.
So you think experienced industry executives couldn't be brought in to get them going? I think they've been very methodical building their business so far so who's to say where they will be in another 20 years. The thing about any business is if it was done before it can be replicated and even improved upon. Ask Sears about Wal-Mart. Ask UPS about FedEx Ground.

Oldfart

So you think experienced industry executives couldn't be brought in to get them going? I think they've been very methodical building their business so far so who's to say where they will be in another 20 years. The thing about any business is if it was done before it can be replicated and even improved upon. Ask Sears about Wal-Mart. Ask UPS about FedEx Ground.
Plans, hubs and infrastructure take time to buy, build and get going. It might happen but it won't happen quick, no matter how much capital they have.

fedex_rtd

I’ll tell you this much, don’t expect any type of pay action this April like we saw last April.

For the topped out employees that got a small “bonus” even though it was not called that, will likely make less this year than they did last year.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
But they have the capital, as well as a captive client (themselves). Enhancing what they're already in the process of doing would be icing on their cake. Not a lot of downside in that scenario.

How much capital would you spend to enter into a ridiculously competitive industry in which you would be your own largest customer?

59 Dano

Ask DHL. Ask Emery. Ask Airborne Express.

Oldfart

I’ll tell you this much, don’t expect any type of pay action this April like we saw last April.

For the topped out employees that got a small “bonus” even though it was not called that, will likely make less this year than they did last year.
Why would anyone expect a pay action this April when it was announced months ago the next raise would be October?

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
How much capital would you spend to enter into a ridiculously competitive industry in which you would be your own largest customer?
Are you even cognizant of their proposed business model? They are only interested in the cream that floats to the top, adding it to their own volume. Margins wouldn’t have to be that great to add to their bottom line.

Your opinion on what Amazon is capable of is, ironically, comparable to that which you criticize couriers of formulating.

vantexan

Ask DHL. Ask Emery. Ask Airborne Express.
Those three had to drum up customers without having the infrastructure to take care of them like FedEx could. I never said it would be easy or fast, just given time with expert guidance and deep pockets they could make a go of it. I think Fred's Myth is spot on.

59 Dano

Are you even cognizant of their proposed business model? They are only interested in the cream that floats to the top, adding it to their own volume. Margins wouldn’t have to be that great to add to their bottom line.

Your opinion on what Amazon is capable of is, ironically, comparable to that which you criticize couriers of formulating.

LOL!!!! Amazon's biggest and most immediate challenge is the supply of pilots. The three airlines that transport Amazon's freight are facing staffing issues similar to those at Express, only worse because their pay stinks. Express is offering nice bonuses to retain pilots. Amazon's airline partners don't have that luxury and are having issues with turnover, retention, and recruiting. It turns out that not everyone wants to work for peanuts, especially when others (FDX, UPS, other major airlines) are paying well.

Amazon is not immune to economics.

dex 84

Want a raise? give yourself one...
-walk, don't run.
-Do the speed limit.
-Make positive customer contacts

It'll add 15-30min a day.

for example if you added just 20 minutes of work each day,at $18.00/hr(not accounting for OT) yes some make more, most make less... ;) that's an extra 1560.00 a year... actually probably closer to $2300 with OT.

You do the Math:
52weeks(20min*5days)/60 = 86.7hrsworked
Then multiply your wage(or your OT wage) by 86.7

Your Welcome,
Your accountant and wife.

That's not a raise, that is what we would call milking it. Hard to do when you're already barely making it back for the outbound shuttle every night.

Given the choice between more hours or a higher hourly rate I'll take the pay rate every time...

59 Dano

Those three had to drum up customers without having the infrastructure to take care of them like FedEx could. I never said it would be easy or fast, just given time with expert guidance and deep pockets they could make a go of it. I think Fred's Myth is spot on.

I don't doubt that they can build and operate a delivery service. The question is whether they can attain success to the extent that they are a viable competitor to UPS and FedEx.

The speculation is that Amazon will offer service that's as good as Express at a fraction of the price -- just like those three defunct competitors. Cheap prices come at the expense of reliable service and vice versa. If Amazon wants to jump in the water and match the service at bargain prices... have at it.

vantexan

I don't doubt that they can build and operate a delivery service. The question is whether they can attain success to the extent that they are a viable competitor to UPS and FedEx.

The speculation is that Amazon will offer service that's as good as Express at a fraction of the price -- just like those three defunct competitors. Cheap prices come at the expense of reliable service and vice versa. If Amazon wants to jump in the water and match the service at bargain prices... have at it.
FedEx Ground?

vantexan

If you hadn't left the company a couple of times, you would had made the money the topped out couriers eventually made.
True, but when you're just shy of 15 years you should be making more than $18.17hr when topped out guys are making $24+ and they topped out in 2-4 years. Wasn't just me but many more in same boat.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Cheap prices come at the expense of reliable service and vice versa.
FedEx Express has been charging premium prices all along but the service has been unreliable for quite some time. The freight is more often late than on time and has been for quite awhile. Maybe Amazon can figure out how to land their planes in a timely manner which is what Express has apparently forgotten how to do.