SAFETY METHODS

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
i used to think like you but slowly changed as i got older. these methods work and i teach them to my grown children to keep the grandkids safe.

also because of this training we Upsers can be hired in a heartbeat just about anywhere if necessary.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
As a passenger, riding in a car that my wife is driving, I often catch myself saying "Watch out for this idiot".

She finds it amusing. I just can't help myself.

blkmamba

It's not a condition of employment nor can you be disciplined for it under the contract.

I was on the safety committee once when they wanted us to get every driver to do DOK. All the circle of honor drivers I would skip and instead ask them what they do differently to keep them safe. I learned more that way then any DOK review.

Does the DOK have its place and should we apply it to how we drive safely? Absolutely. Should we have memorize it "word for word" and be singled out and criticized if we don't? No. THAT is a waste of company time and resources. As long as a driver knows and can apply the principles of the DOK, then that's all that should matter. Not whether he knew it word for word
I think the DOK provides the company with an out when there is an accident. It allows them to place blame on the driver/worker. I had to work the unload one day and an employee was getting ready to tear down a wall and the whole thing fell on him. He ended up with a concussion as he got smacked pretty hard by one box. center manager blamed the unloader for not using a load stand even though he hadn't touched a box yet.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I think the DOK provides the company with an out when there is an accident. It allows them to place blame on the driver/worker. I had to work the unload one day and an employee was getting ready to tear down a wall and the whole thing fell on him. He ended up with a concussion as he got smacked pretty hard by one box. center manager blamed the unloader for not using a load stand even though he hadn't touched a box yet.
I agree to a point. The DOK methods do work. The principles work well. I think also safety is a common sense approach and personal responsibility as well. I don't agree with the company approach that they have to be memorized word for word. That's an inappropriate gauge for actual true understanding of how to apply the principles.
I also believe safety is very much a personal responsibility as well. If you follow the methods as pure habit every time, your chances of being hurt or in an accident are very much reduced.

Stopher

Id love for big shots like you to do my job for a week. You don't have a clue.
Drivers aren't dumb enough to take on your jobs. I have more respect for the guys that sweep the floors and clean bathrooms. If I wanted your job I'd take it and progess much further within the company than you ever could.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Drivers aren't dumb enough to take on your jobs. I have more respect for the guys that sweep the floors and clean bathrooms. If I wanted your job I'd take it and progess much further within the company than you ever could.
you are way over line here. frigitpt sup is probably the most respected mangers on this forum.

if you hate management .........fine dont take it out on this person.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I don't disagree, but I understand some people have trouble with the fact that on safety rides you are reciting and also driving. That is technically a distracted driver and I agree with that. But as far as sitting in an office reciting or multiple choice or what not, I'd probably side with the POV you are taking.
I absolutely agree it shouldn't be discussed while a driver is operating the vehicle. It is beyond unsafe.
I'm not fond of the management positions that do nothing to further grow or have nothing to do with bringing more revenue to the company. The people who sit at a desk in a far away land and read reports and harrass my ctr team with emails that have zero to do with the business. We "track" a whole bunch of indices that are absolutely meaningless to running the business, a lot of wasted time. It seems whole jobs are created to track this stuff that we are selves invented.
These same people developed methods to cut down on wasted time and increase efficiency. They've saved more money than they've wasted up until ORION.
It's not a condition of employment nor can you be disciplined for it under the contract.

I was on the safety committee once when they wanted us to get every driver to do DOK. All the circle of honor drivers I would skip and instead ask them what they do differently to keep them safe. I learned more that way then any DOK review.

Does the DOK have its place and should we apply it to how we drive safely? Absolutely. Should we have memorize it "word for word" and be singled out and criticized if we don't? No. THAT is a waste of company time and resources. As long as a driver knows and can apply the principles of the DOK, then that's all that should matter. Not whether he knew it word for word
A driver should know it because the principles matter. Yes I understand the verbatim is silly. But if you understand the basics it does make someone a safer driver.

That's nice. I respect everybody no matter what job they do, because they are working to support themselves and their family. You wouldn't progress hire than me because instead of focusing your energy on something productive you find the need to come onto an internet forum and chastise someone. I've starting as a FT sup in a few weeks. PT Sup for a little more than a year. If you can progress faster than that, more power to you.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
The safety methods. As if UPS management knows what it takes to be safe. What are the marriage methods, or how about the 7 keys to eating without choking to death. How about the 10 techniques to giving a woman an orgasm. I don't need UPS to tell me how much water to drink or what to eat, how long I should sleep or any of their propaganda about supposed safety. When is the last time you heard them talk about how fast you drive? They know we are all speeding to make their unattainable numbers but there is no report on telematics showing your speed. What is the number one factor in most fatal accidents? Speeding. Hypocrites. Anyone who drinks their koolaid is brainwashed. I have never had an accident and have never pictured a dartboard or counted the seconds between the car in front of me. I will memorize whatever if that's what it takes to work but will never think about a word of that garbage while I'm out there actually doing my job. IF UPS really wants to focus on safety let the drivers run the morning meetings and give up on this waste of money and time.

Please, I hope you have a crash tomorrow..it would serve you right.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I should make 200,000 dollars a year and you should memorize everything I do to drive safe. I make this company money you drain it and help implement useless crap in order to justify your meaningless job.

Just a reminder...you are a truck driver, period. You should be making 20K a year by your statements.

This is in no way a statement on the other professional drivers we have.