Sales Lead Money

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm a truck driver, not a salesman.. I do have BD's number though

I pick up at both a UPS Store and MBE. I go through the drop offs and take note of the "regulars", using my iPhone to take pics of the labels to use when filling out the sales leads. I also look around at bulk delivery and pickup stops for pkgs from the competition. I will submit leads for additional volume for pickups which have increased their outbound volume.

Finding good sales leads is nothing more than keeping your eyes and ears open.

Resident know-it-all.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
This is the lamest thing I have read in quite some time.

My center has 30 drivers on road per day. Let's say each averages 50 business stops per day. That is roughly 1,500 opportunities to secure new volume. We have 2 on-cars and 1 center manager. Each would have to make 500 phone calls to try to secure new volume.

It is not hard to submit a good sales lead. Yes, it is tougher with a saturated market and strong competition, but it can still be done.

Resident know-it-all.

And of those 1,500 opportunities, how many of them ship packages on a daily basis? Should we just submit dead end leads to satisfy another idiotic metric?

Also, the points system is a complete farce. The point values on UPsers are not accurate. Management and BD are clueless when it comes to answering questions. The whole thing is a giant mystery. What sort of incentive is that?

When I see a potential lead, I turn it in and care not for whatever useless points I may get in return. That's how it should be.

I really wanna ask how many leads you submit per month, but I know it's none of my business. ;)

Sent using a Potato

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
And to use your numbers of about 40 business stops per route. My route has 30 pickups. You insinuated that I could always produce another lead. With 75% of my daily business also pick ups I would contend that is a good ratio. The other 25% are shops and offices that do not ship anytilhing but if they do they use OCA. Yes, I said I refuse to do mgt work but anymore, taking care of the customer and providing excellent service is no longer mgt work.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How often do those infrequent shippers use OCA's? Would any if them benefit from the Smart Pickup?

I have two producing leads and two I just got paid for. I have at least 7 pages of submitted leads on upsers.

I agree that submitting leads just to satisfy a metric is a waste of time for all involved.

Did you know that you are allowed to submit sales leads outside of your delivery area?

Resident know-it-all.

jaker

trolling
How often do those infrequent shippers use OCA's? Would any if them benefit from the Smart Pickup?

I have two producing leads and two I just got paid for. I have at least 7 pages of submitted leads on upsers.

I agree that submitting leads just to satisfy a metric is a waste of time for all involved.

Did you know that you are allowed to submit sales leads outside of your delivery area?

Resident know-it-all.
Wow you have a lot of free time

Sorry sales leads are not my concern , I am called a delivery driver and the sales reps are called sellers

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

With the use of smartphones, sales leads are much easier to submit and are no longer limited to working hours. I have gone to the mall on the weekends, seen a pile of outbound Ground volume, taken a picture of the label and submitted a lead.

Resident know-it-all.

jaker

trolling
How much time does it take to ask about a pile of outbound Ground packages?

No one is asking you to close the deal.

Resident know-it-all.
No time at all to ask but it's still not my job to do

No they didnt ask and I don't ask them to load my truck or be a runner for a day

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Look---I have 5 years left and am not at all concerned about any loss of volume during that time; however, if I had fewer than 10 years in, I would be very concerned about the future of the small package division of UPS. Ground will be the dominant player within the next 10-20 years.

"It's not my job" may lead to a loss of jobs over time.

Resident know-it-all.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I am more concerned with providoing outstanding service to our existing customers than racking up sales leads for the sake of racking up sales leads. I knew a driver who was chastised by mgt for "over servicing" a customer by making a second delivery attempt later in the day.

alwaysoverallowed

Sales leads, schmelz leads. Just put your own personal contact info in and have them call you and don't answer. I wonder how long it would take them to catch on.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
With the use of smartphones, sales leads are much easier to submit and are no longer limited to working hours. I have gone to the mall on the weekends, seen a pile of outbound Ground volume, taken a picture of the label and submitted a lead.

Resident know-it-all.

When you do that, do you ask for permission to have a sales rep call them? I'm not talking about asking Steve Nerdly, the pubescent cashier. Do you ask for the person in charge permission for BD to pursue the lead?

I'm only asking because, whether you submit a lead on paper or via DIAD, you have to answer that very question. "Does the customer know they will be contacted? Y/N?"

As I understand it, answering "no", will kill the lead. Answering "yes" allows BD to follow up.

It could be said that, answering "yes" to that question without actually getting permission is, dishonest and falsification. You wouldn't do that, would you?

Sent using a Potato

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Filling out the lead and answering "no" does get the lead tossed.

Of course I answer "yes". What's the worst that can happen? "No thanks, we are all set for now".

Resident know-it-all.