Sales Lead Training

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
Does anyone have an answer to the business reply of "Our national office decides on who we ship with-we have no say." I get this answer and it always stumps me. I look at sales leads as a game, a challenge. And it forces me to get to know my customers better as well. I am always giving them supplies, etc. But I understand about our more expensive shipping costs if they don't want to ship with us.
I've never been told this but I do know that the BD rep has to submit their bid to corporate for approval.If corporate agrees then the BD rep can propose the bid to the customer.

Treegrower

WOW!! Maybe I should get back into "selling" on the route. I quit turning in any leads a few years ago. I have the same exact route and same exact pickups everyday. Lots of residential growth, not so much commercial. A new small "mom and pop shop" here or there. Anyway I used to turn in leads evry time I saw FedEx overnights or ground or DHL or USPS packages lying around. I'd take down all the info right off of the competitiors packages fill out the sales leads and turn them in. I did a ton of them. After a while I noticed we even got some of that business. When I inquired about the "pay" and "cash" for my efforts I was stone walled. I complained up the chain of command and after months and months of bickering I was finally told by our B.D. district mgr.? That I couldn't be paid for any of those because the actuall shipping did not originate in my center/delivery-pickup area/district/ ect. ect.
I havent turned in a sales lead since. Not even the obligitory once a year harrasment one. No more.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Helen, that is usually the case with a national retailer, such as Eckerds. Our local Eckerds' stores, which used to all have UPS pickup accounts, were recently bought out by Rite Aid and Rite Aid uses FedEx for their daily pickup service. I put in a sales lead to try and keep my Eckerds/Rite Aid as a pickup but was told that the decision could not be made locally.

It can be frustrating to put in all of the legwork in order to submit what you believe is a quality sales lead only to have it turned down for reasons beyond your control. However, don't let that deter you as UPS has made changes to the program (raising the maximum to $1,000 per lead) and I personally feel that, with the challenges we are facing now with volume, I think more changes may be on the way to make the sales lead program more attractive to more drivers.

The one complaint I do have about the program is when our OMS clerks, who have much more time that we do, spend time on the phone with some of our pickup accounts, assessing their needs/concerns, and then submit sales leads based upon these conversations, thus netting the sales lead award without having to lift a finger. We had one OMS clerk who knew that one of our larger shippers was about to be bought out by an international company and submitted a sales lead to retain that volume based upon that inside information which would not be made public for several weeks after he submitted the lead.

helenofcalifornia

Happens at our center all the time. They sometimes will put in sales leads for drivers that are getting hounded by management for not putting in leads. I have no complaints whatsoever about them helping out other drivers. Part of "the game."

currahee

I have made probably about $3500.00 through sale lead over the past 5 years. About a year ago i got screwed on one that would have maxed out and from then on i said im done. I have been hounded by my mgmt team. Last week they sent my Steward to talk to me about them. What the hell is that? My sup assigned himself to me to create volume (guy a real tool ,ups hall of famer in his mind).
So i turned in 3 leads 2 via diad and one on a sales lead card. Well the ones in diad didnt count because they dont cout those as a submitted lead and they couldnt close deal on one via sales lead card.
Not good enough because they are not sold producing lead.
I honestly do keep my eyes open for new volume ,but how many times can you ask the same customers if they are interested in UPS.

Bad Gas!

A driver at my center got a $1000 cash card for a sales lead he turned in last year. He saw the company name on a FedEx box when he was doing a delivery and punched it into his diad or w/e. apparently they shipped a lot of stuff last year.
First off it's not 1000$ cash.This money is taxed and you will get a pay stub showing any money earned....One time I lucked up on a $500 acount about 5 yrs ago.Ever since it's been like $25 total....But if you spend 10 minutes a day 3 times a week talking to a lead that's $21 in overtime times 50 weeks equals $1000..

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That is not true!!! When UPS pays a sales lead they also pay the resulting taxes so the amount that you are awarded is the actual amount that you receive. They add the amount of the award plus the amount of the taxes to your YTD income (there is no change to the hours worked) and the taxes are added to both the Federal and, if appropriate, the State tax totals and the net pay for that statement will equal the amount of the award. I tried to get my last sales award pay stub online but the GEMS portion of upsers.com is still down for maintenance.

The sales lead award goes on to a prepaid American Express which can be used anywhere American Express is accepted. Cash cannot be withdrawn from the card. I wish that they would change to another vendor (Visa/Mastercard) as American Express is normally for your upper end stores (although WalMart does take it).

looper804

First off it's not 1000$ cash.This money is taxed and you will get a pay stub showing any money earned....One time I lucked up on a $500 acount about 5 yrs ago.Ever since it's been like $25 total....But if you spend 10 minutes a day 3 times a week talking to a lead that's $21 in overtime times 50 weeks equals $1000..
Yes,it is $1000 cash on an American Express card.Yes it is added to your total pay for the year for tax purposes.How much of the $1000 is taxed,I'm not sure but it can't be too much.

JustTired

free at last.......
So let me get this straight.......If you get a cash card for $1000, that $1000 shows up as (for example) $1300 on your paycheck. Is this added to your gross earnings for the week and then show in the fed. withholding for that check. I'm guessing that's the case.

My thoughts are that if they are going to show that as income, then I prefer to have the $1000 in cash. I don't want to be told where I can spend my income. I'm guessing that if you can't cash the card in, then you probably can't deposit it into a savings account either. Why can't they just give you the cash? What is the savings to them to give you a gift card instead of cash? With the money I make, if I want a 50" HDTV I'll go buy one. If I don't want one, I'll put the money in the bank. I guess I would be forced to buy something even if I don't want to.

I have nothing against those that want to participate. I choose not to and don't appreciate the attempts to pressure you into doing so. I work too many hours as it is and make more money than I need because of it. I have pretty much everything I need and it would be just more money I'd throw into the bank (or maybe it would be safer under my matress these days). Everyones needs are different and if you feel you need the money, more power to you. Heck...I'd even give you about 40 stops if it would help!

So let me get this straight.......If you get a cash card for $1000, that $1000 shows up as (for example) $1300 on your paycheck. Is this added to your gross earnings for the week and then show in the fed. withholding for that check. I'm guessing that's the case.

My thoughts are that if they are going to show that as income, then I prefer to have the $1000 in cash. I don't want to be told where I can spend my income. I'm guessing that if you can't cash the card in, then you probably can't deposit it into a savings account either. Why can't they just give you the cash? What is the savings to them to give you a gift card instead of cash? With the money I make, if I want a 50" HDTV I'll go buy one. If I don't want one, I'll put the money in the bank. I guess I would be forced to buy something even if I don't want to.

I have nothing against those that want to participate. I choose not to and don't appreciate the attempts to pressure you into doing so. I work too many hours as it is and make more money than I need because of it. I have pretty much everything I need and it would be just more money I'd throw into the bank (or maybe it would be safer under my matress these days). Everyones needs are different and if you feel you need the money, more power to you. Heck...I'd even give you about 40 stops if it would help!

You can spend it on anything you want. Spend it first instead of your own money. Keep your money in the bank. almost all income is taxable. Many gifts are taxable too.

looper804

You can spend it on anything you want. Spend it first instead of your own money. Keep your money in the bank. almost all income is taxable. Many gifts are taxable too.
As I said earlier,it is not a gift card.It is an American Express card.I use it every where.Mainly at the gas station.To me it's a good deal.Sibmit a lead and get free gas just for the effort.

BrownSuit

They actually prefer that we use the sales leads cards and then hand them in to the OMS clerk who then input them in to the computer. You are right, sales leads input through the DIAD take 24 hours before they are in the system.

Your actually probably better off inputting them into MyUpsers.com yourself. Things sometimes get "left off" when they are handed to the OMS. That way you can also make sure that you are the one who gets credit for the lead and followup on it. If you submit the lead and tell the BD person there in the center about it, make sure you tell them you sent in a lead and if you have it the control number or your Employee ID so they can look it up and work it. Otherwise with so many people, you might have two or three people chasing after the same lead and not even know it.

Also, make sure either when using the DIAD or the computer, to enter comments about the reason you are submitting the lead so whoever is at BD will have an idea of where they need to go with the process. If you notice they are shipping with somebody else, say it. If they come running after you to setup an account, make sure to comment on it. I think this is part of the frustration between Ops and BD is that there is a lack of communication. Often times BD can't see what the driver sees. The saying that the drivers are the "eyes and ears" rings true, so help the guys out a little and be as detailed as possible. :wink2:

The process wasn't meant to be a burden, but to be a help :greedy: for all involved.

My other piece of advice is while it is tempting to select every service so that you can get credit for anything, unless they seem to have a need for Express Critical or Freight, don't select everything. Selecting Freight actually creates another lead that indicates that there is freight to sell for the BD person. Also to make the freight process easier that was commented on in another thread. While there are major points for a freight sale, you tend to loose creditability if you keep sending in leads for Dr.'s offices with Freight :surprised:

Another tip is if you see a bunch of ARS labels, especially with a competitor, don't submit the lead for the person sending them, go with the folks that they are shipping it back to.

BrownSuit

Does anyone have an answer to the business reply of "Our national office decides on who we ship with-we have no say." I get this answer and it always stumps me. I look at sales leads as a game, a challenge. And it forces me to get to know my customers better as well. I am always giving them supplies, etc. But I understand about our more expensive shipping costs if they don't want to ship with us.

There are supposed to be folks in touch with the corporate office at some point. If the business is telling you that, ask "where is that office located?" "Do you have a contact's number there?" "Are you happy with your shipping currently or are other locations unhappy?"

If you get a lead that comes back that they couldn't work it because of the national office, go back to your customer and ask who that national contact is and put the info in the lead for them to work again.

Also, no matter what, make sure to enter "Aware" or "Not Aware" accurately in the lead. I alluded to the problems with somebody else (OMS or Sup) entering the leads earlier, I think this might be one of them. If your just grabbing the lead from a FedEx Waybill, make sure to mention it. If the BD person thinks the customer they are going to visit knows they are coming and the customer doesn't give them the time of day or won't return calls, the lead probably won't go very far.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

JustTired, sales leads are on a separate pay stub so they have no effect on your paycheck for that week. UPS computes the tax that would have to be paid so that you get the full amount of the sales lead award, so, in your example, you would have gross pay of $1,300, which would be added to your YTD earnings, and would have the appropriate taxes taken out leaving you net paying equaling the total of your sales lead award, which is currently maxed at $1,000 per sales lead.

BrownSuit, I don't think that we are able to submit sales leads through upsers.com but I could be wrong. They have to be submitted either through the DIAD or on a sales lead card which is then input by the OMS clerk.

Treegrower

Your actually probably better off inputting them into MyUpsers.com yourself. Things sometimes get "left off" when they are handed to the OMS. That way you can also make sure that you are the one who gets credit for the lead and followup on it. If you submit the lead and tell the BD person there in the center about it, make sure you tell them you sent in a lead and if you have it the control number or your Employee ID so they can look it up and work it. Otherwise with so many people, you might have two or three people chasing after the same lead and not even know it.

Also, make sure either when using the DIAD or the computer, to enter comments about the reason you are submitting the lead so whoever is at BD will have an idea of where they need to go with the process. If you notice they are shipping with somebody else, say it. If they come running after you to setup an account, make sure to comment on it. I think this is part of the frustration between Ops and BD is that there is a lack of communication. Often times BD can't see what the driver sees. The saying that the drivers are the "eyes and ears" rings true, so help the guys out a little and be as detailed as possible. :wink2:

The process wasn't meant to be a burden, but to be a help :greedy: for all involved.

My other piece of advice is while it is tempting to select every service so that you can get credit for anything, unless they seem to have a need for Express Critical or Freight, don't select everything. Selecting Freight actually creates another lead that indicates that there is freight to sell for the BD person. Also to make the freight process easier that was commented on in another thread. While there are major points for a freight sale, you tend to loose creditability if you keep sending in leads for Dr.'s offices with Freight :surprised:

Another tip is if you see a bunch of ARS labels, especially with a competitor, don't submit the lead for the person sending them, go with the folks that they are shipping it back to.
Your last paragraph, the one directly above. Please see my post on previous page. Also there used to be a option in the board for "sales lead you'd code the time in your board but no more. Was taken out a couple of years ago I think. Anyway with all the production harrasement. I've been told time and time again " No customer contact" just keep moving, don't chit chat keep on rolling and moving no matter what. So...........

JustTired

free at last.......
In the old days.......we were able to tell our "sales rep" face to face about a lead or concern of the customer. Now, you have to put it in writing somewhere. Is this just another case of micromanagement? Does this paper trail (or computer trail) lead to the district level so that someone there can decide who the rep should see or not see? I'm guessing yes.

Someone sitting in an office trying to control how the sales reps do their job. Someone trying to control how the driver does his job. I picture the old "war room" with the giant outlay of a map on a huge table. Little pkg cars dotting the landscape, being pushed around with those sticks. Of course this is on a huge computer screen now. And the little pkg cars move themselves around. That saves paying a lot of people with sticks.

How many calls/hr does a sales rep have to make these days? If they run over, do they get written up? Do they get written up for excessive A.M. in building time even though they have to read all of the emails from their boss, their bosses boss, corporate and not to mention sales tips sent out every 30 min. Then there's the conference call that rehashes everything they just read in the emails.

I've got a novel idea. Let the drivers service the customer. Let the sales reps sell the company. And most of all....let those above sit in their office and decide how they will spend their day looking busy instead of wondering if those under them are trying to screw up the company. If they want to see who is really screwing up the company, they most likely need to look in a mirror. JMO

rod

Retired 22 years

I've got a novel idea. Let the drivers service the customer. Let the sales reps sell the company. And most of all....let those above sit in their office and decide how they will spend their day looking busy instead of wondering if those under them are trying to screw up the company. If they want to see who is really screwing up the company, they most likely need to look in a mirror. JMO

BINGO------we have a winner:wink2:

BrownSuit

BrownSuit, I don't think that we are able to submit sales leads through upsers.com but I could be wrong. They have to be submitted either through the DIAD or on a sales lead card which is then input by the OMS clerk.

You can log into the Sales Lead program through UPSers and enter a lead that way.

I'm not dogging the OMS, but I've just heard about a lot being left off where the driver actually takes the time to make comments. I think it's probably a center by center thing.