Sales Lead Training

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
The lead was last march, march 2007, I have talked to everyone, and they are not helpful. I am glad yours are, tho:happy-very:The owner says he saves 2k a month, and I got 25$,............. this april.
I believe $25 is the amount for a freight lead that sells.Just to add something on the topic of different kinds of leads.I recently learned of something called a "retention lead".This is a lead you would submit if a current shipper is talking of leaving UPS or diverting some of their volume to a competitor.I had a cistomer say to me they were thinking of switching to Fedex ground.I submitted a retention lead.My Bd rep went to the customer and gave him some better rates.I got $35 for the retention and 13 weeks of new volume credit.To me this seems like an easy way to submit a lead for existing customers if you have no new customers in your area.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
My loop brother turned in a lead for an office pickup that was using DHL. We get the dock volume at this company. He got his name on the board for a sold lead and kept the boss off his back. Got one pkg in 3 months. Added 60 cents to his card. Alot of this is just wasting time to get someone above you off your back. Wow, there's a new theme! I failed to put in a lead this year so Monday I get a ride along with an AE. He's the salesman, my job is to do too much in too little time. BM

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Message was sent out to us on Monday that our District Manager wanted at least one sales lead from every driver in the district this week. I didn't turn one in because I didn't have one. If I see a chance to turn in a lead and develop some volume for the company I will do it. I won't make up a lead just so I can show one turned in.

Its pretty bad when one lead I turned in awhile back had the wrong phone number on it. Sent the lead in via DIAD for a 100 wt account on an existing customer. Mgmt had wrong number in DIAD. Instead of picking up the phone and getting the correct number, they just send the lead back. I won't go outta my way to turn in leads if they can't help themselves.

Another driver turned in a lead and they sent it back saying the customer was not interested. Driver asked them what happened and was informed that he had never been called. It was his son that sells on E-bay and decided to start shipping his stuff with UPS instead of the USPS!

looper804

Message was sent out to us on Monday that our District Manager wanted at least one sales lead from every driver in the district this week. I didn't turn one in because I didn't have one. If I see a chance to turn in a lead and develop some volume for the company I will do it. I won't make up a lead just so I can show one turned in.
I don't agree with these messages.It forces everyone to make up leads that are a waste of everyones time.

looper804

Its pretty bad when one lead I turned in awhile back had the wrong phone number on it. Sent the lead in via DIAD for a 100 wt account on an existing customer. Mgmt had wrong number in DIAD. Instead of picking up the phone and getting the correct number, they just send the lead back. I won't go outta my way to turn in leads if they can't help themselves.
In defense of the phone center where the leads go they are dealing with thousands of leads a day.It would be too time consuming for them to attempt to look up a phone # for each lead that was incorrect.(especially when the leads are only put in because you were told to put in a lead today)

LeddySS98

I turned in 6 sales lead and only one turned into a producing sale...The account that sold was done so 3 months ago, and they ship like 3 - 5 packages daily, couple of which will be NDA's and they send a few intls' once a week probably...

"Next Scheduled Contact on 04/21/08 06:00 PM" So i'm guessing that means the 3 month period is up this monday... so is there anyway to find out how much cash has been generated from my sale??? I dont expect a 1000 bucks or anything crazy, i just would like to know how much I've earned if that's possible to do.

looper804

I turned in 6 sales lead and only one turned into a producing sale...The account that sold was done so 3 months ago, and they ship like 3 - 5 packages daily, couple of which will be NDA's and they send a few intls' once a week probably...

"Next Scheduled Contact on 04/21/08 06:00 PM" So i'm guessing that means the 3 month period is up this monday... so is there anyway to find out how much cash has been generated from my sale??? I dont expect a 1000 bucks or anything crazy, i just would like to know how much I've earned if that's possible to do.
"Next Scheduled Contact on 04/21/08 06:00 PM" This means that the next contact with the customer will be on April 21st.This lead has not sold yet.They could be negotiating prices or something like that.Ask your BD rep what the situation is.They can look up the lead # and give you exact info as to what is going on.When it sells it will say "lead sold on such and such date" Then you will receive 13 weeks of shipping credit.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
Dont you all think that many more leads would be turned in if our mgt team would start strating us like employees, and not lying, stealing trash. It is so counter-productive to be out there following drivers around, trying to catch someone do something then start the firing proceedings. It absolutely makes me sick to think how many of my co-workers are treated, like thieves. I really cant get past this and just want to know what you all think of it. Lets beat the horse day after day, but then ask it to plow the back 40 in record time....it just doesnt work. And I want to hear from management on this one too.

I agree, I almost wonder if managers and supervisors don't have to meet some kind of quota as far as firing someone, or catching someone and try to fire them. We had a driver fired a few years ago because he had asked for a list of pick-ups which he now longer picked up to be removed from his board. It never happened and instead of arrowing down or whatever he would have to do he just quickly stop completed them to get them out of the way and down to pick ups he did do. He was fired for stealing time. Just last week we had another driver fired for a similar thing. A part-timer was driving out to meet him to pick up air from another town, and the part-timer drove past a pick up the driver was supposed to do. He asked the part timer to do the pick up on his way in or out instead of himself driving on out there. He recorded it in his board as the part timer had no board. I agree he should have talked to management, I would have never in a million years taken this decision on myself, but.... instead of firing him, they certainly could have given a warning letter at the most, or just explained he had over stepped his bounds and went ahead and worked something out that would be best for all including the customer.

looper804

I agree, I almost wonder if managers and supervisors don't have to meet some kind of quota as far as firing someone, or catching someone and try to fire them. We had a driver fired a few years ago because he had asked for a list of pick-ups which he now longer picked up to be removed from his board. It never happened and instead of arrowing down or whatever he would have to do he just quickly stop completed them to get them out of the way and down to pick ups he did do. He was fired for stealing time. Just last week we had another driver fired for a similar thing. A part-timer was driving out to meet him to pick up air from another town, and the part-timer drove past a pick up the driver was supposed to do. He asked the part timer to do the pick up on his way in or out instead of himself driving on out there. He recorded it in his board as the part timer had no board. I agree he should have talked to management, I would have never in a million years taken this decision on myself, but.... instead of firing him, they certainly could have given a warning letter at the most, or just explained he had over stepped his bounds and went ahead and worked something out that would be best for all including the customer.
I don't understand.Was the pickup missed or did the part timer pick it up?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Looper, they have enhanced the "Check sales lead" portion of upsers.com. You can now click on the sales lead number and it will give you a summary of all of the action taken on that particular lead, including any comments made by the sales exec or BD.

looper804

Looper, they have enhanced the "Check sales lead" portion of upsers.com. You can now click on the sales lead number and it will give you a summary of all of the action taken on that particular lead, including any comments made by the sales exec or BD.
Thats good to know.That should help answer a lot of questions.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
I don't understand.Was the pickup missed or did the part timer pick it up?

The part timer picked it up, management was probably pissed because this part-timer filed a grievance for being paid clerk wages while doing this run daily.

BTW the firing didn't stick, he's back to work, but still........... I mean really was it necessary to put him through this? How can that show any kind of consideration for a 20+ year driver who has never had a single issue previously?

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09

I tried to find a way to enter sales leads, but there doesn't seem to be one, just to look up previous ones, am I missing something?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I also could not find a way to enter new sales leads. Looper wanted to know if there was a way to check on the status or see the "paper trail" of a sales lead and this can be done by simply clicking on the sales lead number.

looper804

I also could not find a way to enter new sales leads. Looper wanted to know if there was a way to check on the status or see the "paper trail" of a sales lead and this can be done by simply clicking on the sales lead number.
You can enter a lead by clicking on the SLIM link under growth section.