Sales Leads: What's the Point?

peppa

Obviously, the North East region is a test region for corporate. They probably have some insane, "Stone-busting" region manager that is giving the, "Underqualified" labor managers and district managers free reign to downsize. The quagmire here, is that the more they cast a dark shadow on the work force with their propoganda from the media about this economy, the more they will drive down morale on the inside ops and on the road. This will reflect negative growth.
In the second quarter, they will realize that the revenue numbers are falling faster than the, "so called savings" that they will uligize about at your PCM's and you will soon(about midway through the second quarter) hear about a new, "revamped" sales lead program that will put the burden of driving revenue on the driver's conscience.
The customer that has a specialized feeder pick up and is slowing down, due to slow consumer spending, will not be apt to stay loyal to a carrier that kicks them when they are down and charges the same rates for less service.
Ups, as with many publicly traded companies is allowing wall street to control their decision.
This is obscenely wrong!
As someone who managed for UPS when they were a private organization, as well as a public organization, I can tell you that when the economy slipped(1987), during our privately held days, we didn't have to worry about stock prices, we managed costs practically, and our employees were engaged because everyone belonged to the Thrift Plan(another topic) and had a vested interest in the company.
The Thrift Plan was not a fund for vacation money or a new pick up truck. We counciled our employees on weekly conservative savings and investments and it worked.
It was this wall street driven management style that drove good managers, to which I have been told I was, away from UPS.
This business model that UPS is trying to follow in driven by the Fedex model(to the power of three), and you see how that is working for them.
UPSFreight? What is that? A billboard campaign? The revenue per stop on those 26 and 53 foot monsters is no more than a small machine shop that a package car driver delivers Air, International, Second day, and Three day select too and picks up as well.
At an average of 2 stops per on road hour. Ask your district manager if 2 SPORH is acceptable. Or, better yet, how much money was spent on PAS and what profit have we realized from this costly endeavor.
Our company; I still say our company, because I am still an owner, is being driven into the ground, by so-called intellectuals.
I was told by a 30 year-old female division level manager that I was to put an 11 hour day on a driver that could not deliver after dark due to the safety of the inner city neighborhood, only because a computer generated a report that said he was planned at a 8.5 hour day. When I challenged her, she called me stupid.
The requirements for leadership in our company have drastically changed. Most of today's young, slick, managers and division managers have never unloaded, sorted, done clerical work, and most importantly never drove by themselves for even the old 90 day required period.
Nothing, has ever made me a more successful as a manager than my time driving.
Example: If I was impolite to a customer and got a complaint, a "hand written" explanation had to be sent to my District manager within 24 hours. Sometime, "Good" district managers would make it a priority to call the center manager to voice his/her concerns on the issue. Today we pay a part-timer to process, "Concerns" that most of the time arn't even discuss with the employee.
The personal complaint process taught me that how I treated people had a direct corelation to how I was valued.
A value that I carried into management.
I appologize for the length, but I needed to get this off my chest.

backinbrown

respect my authority
Obviously, the North East region is a test region for corporate. They probably have some insane, "Stone-busting" region manager that is giving the, "Underqualified" labor managers and district managers free reign to downsize.

The quagmire here, is that the more they cast a dark shadow on the work force with their propoganda from the media about this economy, the more they will drive down morale on the inside ops and on the road. This will reflect negative growth.

In the second quarter, they will realize that the revenue numbers are falling faster than the, "so called savings" that they will uligize about at your PCM's and you will soon(about midway through the second quarter) hear about a new, "revamped" sales lead program that will put the burden of driving revenue on the driver's conscience.

The customer that has a specialized feeder pick up and is slowing down, due to slow consumer spending, will not be apt to stay loyal to a carrier that kicks them when they are down and charges the same rates for less service.

Ups, as with many publicly traded companies is allowing wall street to control their decision.

This is obscenely wrong!

As someone who managed for UPS when they were a private organization, as well as a public organization, I can tell you that when the economy slipped(1987), during our privately held days, we didn't have to worry about stock prices, we managed costs practically, and our employees were engaged because everyone belonged to the Thrift Plan(another topic) and had a vested interest in the company.

The Thrift Plan was not a fund for vacation money or a new pick up truck. We counciled our employees on weekly conservative savings and investments and it worked.

It was this wall street driven management style that drove good managers, to which I have been told I was, away from UPS.
This business model that UPS is trying to follow in driven by the Fedex model(to the power of three), and you see how that is working for them.
UPSFreight? What is that? A billboard campaign? The revenue per stop on those 26 and 53 foot monsters is no more than a small machine shop that a package car driver delivers Air, International, Second day, and Three day select too and picks up as well.

At an average of 2 stops per on road hour. Ask your district manager if 2 SPORH is acceptable. Or, better yet, how much money was spent on PAS and what profit have we realized from this costly endeavor.

Our company; I still say our company, because I am still an owner, is being driven into the ground, by so-called intellectuals.

I was told by a 30 year-old female division level manager that I was to put an 11 hour day on a driver that could not deliver after dark due to the safety of the inner city neighborhood, only because a computer generated a report that said he was planned at a 8.5 hour day. When I challenged her, she called me stupid.

The requirements for leadership in our company have drastically changed. Most of today's young, slick, managers and division managers have never unloaded, sorted, done clerical work, and most importantly never drove by themselves for even the old 90 day required period.

Nothing, has ever made me a more successful as a manager than my time driving.

Example: If I was impolite to a customer and got a complaint, a "hand written" explanation had to be sent to my District manager within 24 hours. Sometime, "Good" district managers would make it a priority to call the center manager to voice his/her concerns on the issue. Today we pay a part-timer to process, "Concerns" that most of the time arn't even discuss with the employee.

The personal complaint process taught me that how I treated people had a direct corelation to how I was valued.

A value that I carried into management.

I appologize for the length, but I needed to get this off my chest.

I had to break it up

peppa

Hey Brown Suit! I think everyone hear graduated from the eighth grade, so why do you talk to them like they are in sixth grade!

Why don't you explain to the employees that you are trying to drive your management incentive dollars by reducing the wages of the lower seniority drivers.

You could also tell them that you are not trying to shrink cost by pounding them with ten hour days. Yeah they might believe that.

Over 9.5 dispatchs can be eliminated with a word from your division manager and you know it.

I saw two Business development "People" shopping at the mall today. I'm sure the two driver delivering in that mall really feel like filling out a sales lead card.

One last thing, If a driver doesn't put a phone number on a sales lead card, should you put it to the side? Or maybe pick up a phone book and look up the number. Much like the drivers do when they have a package with a bad address on it.

I know...I'm stupid, but I am glad to be away from people like you.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hey Brown Suit! I think everyone hear graduated from the eighth grade, so why do you talk to them like they are in sixth grade!

Why don't you explain to the employees that you are trying to drive your management incentive dollars by reducing the wages of the lower seniority drivers.

You could also tell them that you are not trying to shrink cost by pounding them with ten hour days. Yeah they might believe that.

Over 9.5 dispatchs can be eliminated with a word from your division manager and you know it.

I saw two Business development "People" shopping at the mall today. I'm sure the two driver delivering in that mall really feel like filling out a sales lead card.

One last thing, If a driver doesn't put a phone number on a sales lead card, should you put it to the side? Or maybe pick up a phone book and look up the number. Much like the drivers do when they have a package with a bad address on it.

And the feeling is mutual.
I've been with UPS for 36 years and I've never run across a management person like you. In fact, I've only come across a few people at UPS like you at all.
If, and I say "Big if", you were ever in management, the person that promoted you made a really bad decision.

However, I don't believe you were in management and have pretty much come to the conclusion you are a TROLL.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

TROLL

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

I sat in an office with a sales rep and the oms today. The sales rep came upon a sales lead with no phone number and mentioned it to us. Within 30 seconds, the oms had the phone number. So there still are some people that care out there. Loved your posts btw, don't know why Hoax is on you, but I thought they were good reads.

What's the point in turning in sales leads if the sales rep isn't following up on them? Management is really pressing us to submit more but we all agree that our sales rep isn't doing his job. FedEx gobbled up most of the DHL volume here. It's not that any of them weren't interested in going with UPS. The problem is that in most cases the only contact with UPS any of them had was when the drivers initiated the leads. Most were never contacted and the few that were could never get in touch with the rep again afterwards. Emails were never answered and phone calls were not returned.

I've approached our rep several times about two of the leads I've submitted. One of them was using DHL and told me that the company on the receiving end of the pickup were the ones that decided which carrier made the pickup and that he couldn't follow up on the lead because " He'd get in trouble because he'd be stepping on the toes of the sales lead on the receiving end." This is BS! The goal is to acquire volume for UPS. Personal goals and territorial red tap shouldn't be a factor. Well, now FedEx is making the pickup. The other lead uses several carriers to pickup up several different products and after four months they still haven't heard from our rep yet. He claims that when he goes there the doctor is always with a patient or they are closed. Fed Ex now picks up some of the packages. We still make pickups too so at least it's not a complete loss.

I've heard stories like mine from a bunch of other drivers in our center. And management wonders why our leads have all but dwindled lately.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Loved your posts btw, don't know why Hoax is on you, but I thought they were good reads.

Just think he's lying Steve.
His viewpoint is not one that a management person of 20 years would have.
It really is not like he says...management is trying to do their job...his conspiracy point of view is obviously from someone who has never spent any time in management.
From the way this person expresses his/her view, there is no concern or respect for other people.
Someone who spent 20 years in UPS management and is still a supervisor is not going to be District Manager for any company that is still in business.
And on top of that, I'm feeling grumpy (think soberups) and I've got a headache.
OK, I feel better now that I got that off my chest! :wink2:

I have to admit that I am also at a loss at to what Hoax's issue is with peppa. Maybe he will elaborate.
Was that sufficient Dave?

Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.
I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.
I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a... fraid. ... he taught me to sing a song. If you'd like to hear it I can sing it for you.
It's called "Daisy."
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do. I'm half crazy all for the love of you. It won't be a stylish marriage, I can't afford a carriage. But you'll look sweet upon the seat of a bicycle built for two.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Just think he's lying Steve.
His viewpoint is not one that a management person of 20 years would have.
It really is not like he says...management is trying to do their job...his conspiracy point of view is obviously from someone who has never spent any time in management.
From the way this person expresses his/her view, there is no concern or respect for other people.
Someone who spent 20 years in UPS management and is still a supervisor is not going to be District Manager for any company that is still in business.
And on top of that, I'm feeling grumpy (think soberups) and I've got a headache.
OK, I feel better now that I got that off my chest! :wink2:

Was that sufficient Dave?

Whoa, that was a mouthful. I didn't get that at all, btw. I got that peppa, (achoo), was in UPS mgmt for sometime, and that over the years mgmt's style had changed. Change can be good, but this was for the worse, I gathered. I understood peppa's feelings and have noticed the same change throughout my career. I didn't pick up any troll vibe. Maybe my troll finder software needs to be updated.:wink2:

peppa

I do not know what a TROLL is. And I do not know what Hoax's issues are either.
I simply jumped on this site yesterday because I have been fielding phone calls from my former drivers about the heat that is coming down on them.
I don't know why I am defending myself, but I spent 13 years as a center manager. I stepped down to a supervisor for my last three because I needed to focus on a special needs child. I finally recieved an offer with another company, that, coincidently, had been a large shipper that I serviced from my center.

I am sincerly concerned for drivers. Most specifically in the area of BD folks not doing their job, and the lack of any real integrity toward a safe driving program that flows back to George Smith, one of our great leaders. Jim Casey refered to him as the fifth founder.

Hoax-Back off. There are plenty of Manager/Supervisors that agree with my thoughts. Possibly It's a regional thing.
Where are you from?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I do not know what a TROLL is.
Hoax-Back off. There are plenty of Manager/Supervisors that agree with my thoughts. Possibly It's a regional thing.
Where are you from?

A troll is one of those ugly dolls with the fuzzy up-doo, usually found sitting on the end of a pencil. What I think Hoax was referring to, is that he doesn't think you are for real. That's only my guess though, as I'm no Hoax. Did you get that? LOL. I'm sure if you close your eyes and think really hard, the Hoaxster will appear.:happy-very: Sorry, early day for me and I'm feeling a bit giddy.

Billy

I didn't read all the post so I apologize if it's been said already. My center recently had a sales lead meeting which I attended. I had the same questions as you and ask them there. Their answers were as follows;
The point as I'm sure you know is to increase volume and save jobs. The process is you submit a lead and it goes to a call center. They call the customer and confirm that they want an account. If they say yes they're given an account and that's the end of it. No rep is assigned to any account that doesn't produce more than 40k annually. Then depending on volume is the type of rep, and equipment credits they receive. A customer that produces less can still call the 800 number and speak to someone. If the problem warrants a rep will be sent to the location. If you're having a problem with a rep not following up on a lead to get business from a competitor inform the head sales person. ( their boss ) They will fix that problem immediately.
I left the meeting with the " I'm from Missouri " attitude, but will try to get leads again. I really don't want to see the junior guys lose their jobs because of volume

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The confusion in this post resulted from an inaccurate post in which someone said that the sales lead points program was being discontinued, along with the safe driving and years of service award programs.

I fully agree that the sales lead program is critically important as a contributing factor to our continued success. I currently have 3 producing and sold leads and a 4th that is being worked and should join the sold list.

My concern is that the sales leads program is already met with strong resistance by many drivers and to eliminate the points program may add to the number of drivers who will choose not to participate.

GoBrown???

I've got a good one. I submitted a sales lead last year for a new business that was going to be shipping all over the country. They weren't sure which direction they wanted to go. i.e dhl, fedex, usps. I did a lookup a few days after I submitted it for status and it said lead closed customer not interested. The funny thing is...I was the customer. It was my new business that I opened up. When I approached the sales rep I asked him what happened with this lead and he stated that he couldn't get in touch with the person in charge. I told him to call the number right now. So he did. At that moment my phone rang as well. I said Hi to the rep. He was caught off guard. I said you just lost my business and walked away. I told his manager about this as well. He no longer works for UPS. By the way I ship about 35-40 pkgs a day, and i use USPS. I will never put in a lead

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I've got a good one. I submitted a sales lead last year for a new business that was going to be shipping all over the country. They weren't sure which direction they wanted to go. i.e dhl, fedex, usps. I did a lookup a few days after I submitted it for status and it said lead closed customer not interested. The funny thing is...I was the customer. It was my new business that I opened up. When I approached the sales rep I asked him what happened with this lead and he stated that he couldn't get in touch with the person in charge. I told him to call the number right now. So he did. At that moment my phone rang as well. I said Hi to the rep. He was caught off guard. I said you just lost my business and walked away. I told his manager about this as well. He no longer works for UPS. By the way I ship about 35-40 pkgs a day, and i use USPS. I will never put in a lead

Ouch! I know you're probably shipping cheaper, but at the same time that you're helping "your" business, you're hurting this business and in turn yourself. Are you using the USPS because you were peeved by the rep, or just because they're cheaper? How's the service vs UPS? Just curious about this stuff, as I'm thinking you must be torn.

Overpaid Union Thug

I don't agree with what you've done but I do understand the reasoning behind your decision. I wish I could tell you not to judge the whole process based on the incompetence of your sales rep but it would seem that there are plenty of reps like that to go around. My leads were brushed off in the same exact manner but when I questioned the companies they said that they were never contacted. I'd still use UPS if I were you. Especially if what you ship weighs more than 3 lbs.

We as drivers are not salespeople. All we need is enough leeway to do our job and service our customers the way most of us want to and for UPS to keep shipping prices in hand. Most of the extra services and tracking UPS comes up with are crap most customers would give up to save $$$$. Excellent service, respesctable employees, and reasonable prices are all Jim Casey ever intended to be needed to generate business.