Saturday after Thanksgiving

brownIEman

Pretty much negating what the system was designed for.

@brownmonster may be in the conspiracy club of drivers that believe Orion was created in a nefarious attempt by the company to further de-skill the driver job so drivers can easily be replaced in a strike. Even though it clearly does the opposite.

For most of the conspiracy nuts it really is a form of psychosis imho. No amount of factual, logical argument will disabuse them of this deep set idea that EVERY thing the company does is some sort of Union busting effort.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
@brownmonster may be in the conspiracy club of drivers that believe Orion was created in a nefarious attempt by the company to further de-skill the driver job so drivers can easily be replaced in a strike. Even though it clearly does the opposite.

For most of the conspiracy nuts it really is a form of psychosis imho. No amount of factual, logical argument will disabuse them of this deep set idea that EVERY thing the company does is some sort of Union busting effort.
Well it fails epically at saving miles or time also.

So what was the reasoning? A tax write off?

JackStraw

images

brownIEman

Well it fails epically at saving miles or time also.

So what was the reasoning? A tax write off?

Saving miles and therefore improving stops per mile. Which it has successfully done company wide. Now, weather it has done that by effective algorithms or by forcing management to take a closer look thereby exposing some questionable practices in centers - that's up for debate. And in some routes it does not work well at all. But looking company wide most centers have improved stops per mile and the all important cost per piece after deploying Orion.

This company is a penny pinching gready beast. Don't doubt for a second that it would dump an expensive program that was not showing dividends or the promise of them.

brownIEman

The only way Orion saves on miles is if you completely ignore all the rules of backing.

Which Orion does. So check.

And actually Orion can save miles. I've seen it. I've also seen experienced drivers best Orion miles running RDO and using that to brag about what a crappy system UPS created. While apparently being blissfully unaware they were running WAY fewer miles than they did with the same work earlier. Thereby proving the effectiveness of the Orion system while not using it and showing how crappy it is. Loved the irony!

BlackCat

And actually Orion can save miles. I've seen it. I've also seen experienced drivers best Orion miles running RDO and using that to brag about what a crappy system UPS created. While apparently being blissfully unaware they were running WAY fewer miles than they did with the same work earlier. Thereby proving the effectiveness of the Orion system while not using it and showing how crappy it is. Loved the irony!

When Orion first came out, it had me dropping right in the middle of a street on occasions, or have me go down a street, hit a house that I drove by, and then turn around and continue on down the street.

So which is it.. Am I supposed to back to turn around, or am I supposed to go around the block?

You have your experiences, and I have mine.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
When Orion first came out, it had me dropping right in the middle of a street on occasions, or have me go down a street, hit a house that I drove by, and then turn around and continue on down the street.

So which is it.. Am I supposed to back to turn around, or am I supposed to go around the block?

ORION will do whatever your PDS tells it to do, it's a miles calculator with importance sliders, that's it, it's not AI it doesn't "think"

brownIEman

Yes we do. And UPS as a whole had it's experiences. And UPS' experience with Orion is it saves money. If it did not, it would be scraped. UPS cares about the bottom line more than it cares about the experience of you or me.

IESucks

Crossing 4 lane busy intersections,making u turns at intersections when it's not allowed,backing into driveways. Being told to follow it, and then having avoidable accidents because you did

brownIEman

Crossing 4 lane busy intersections,making u turns at intersections when it's not allowed,backing into driveways. Being told to follow it, and then having avoidable accidents because you did

No. Just no. If you're doing any of that you should just quit.

You can take Orton's suggestions and follow where appropriate and make better choices for the company when appropriate. That's working in the best interest of the company. It's in the contract, look it up.

And don't give me any "I'm just a truck driver I don't get paid to think" bull :censored2:. If you're a top rate driver you are paid way too much to not think.

IESucks

No. Just no. If you're doing any of that you should just quit.

You can take Orton's suggestions and follow where appropriate and make better choices for the company when appropriate. That's working in the best interest of the company. It's in the contract, look it up.

And don't give me any "I'm just a truck driver I don't get paid to think" bull :censored2:. If you're a top rate driver you are paid way too much to not think.
Gotcha , so I should think and not follow some math oriented plan that can't .