Saturday ground and terrible union

oldngray

nowhere special
I always said, why doesn't anyone try to organize a day or a week even where every driver, nation wide, does this. Everyone show up 5 minutes before start time and demand 8. Then, nationally, we all take lunch exactly 12-1300. They'd have little sheet stains in their drawers.

Here you need to request an 8 hour 24 hours in advance.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I always said, why doesn't anyone try to organize a day or a week even where every driver, nation wide, does this. Everyone show up 5 minutes before start time and demand 8. Then, nationally, we all take lunch exactly 12-1300. They'd have little sheet stains in their drawers.

It could be construed as a "work stoppage or slow down".

Better yet....

Drivers grow a set, and enforce this (participate) on a daily basis.

The language is there.

Use it.

-Bug-

542thruNthru

Can't do it here.

8 hour request is like a request for an option day off and must be submitted 24 hours in advance. UPS only has to allow a certain number of requests and the others would be denied.

I think you are still not understanding.

He means when you are up demand your 8 hour guarantee. Don't go home and let them off easy.

Not a 8 hour request for the day.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I'm saying demand 8, not go home.

Can't do it here.

8 hour request is like a request for an option day off and must be submitted 24 hours in advance. UPS only has to allow a certain number of requests and the others would be denied.

@oldngray

I think you are missing @MyTripisCut point.

It's not an 8 Hr request.

But, the contractual guarantee.... for posting the start time.

And expecting, 8 hours of work.

-Bug-

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Too many lazy, scaredy cats. We can't even get one day in our center where every driver demands 8.
I have no issue with the "lazy" who don't demand guarantees, take dead days etc.; just as I have no problem with the "lazy" OT ho's who show up everyday, do the bare minimum and milk the day for every penny. Either way, my feelings won't change any of it.

10 Pt

Operations Management does not want to work Saturday's either no one DM and above will be working Saturday I promise you.

Telematics is a great tool to manage with, example if we say don't back at a certain address then don't back at that address. I get you are looking for a package in the back of the truck for 5 minutes....but 43 times a day?? So that is where local policies and procedures come into place. SORT THE TRUCK be smart about it. We had to dig packages out in the 80's and we still have to dig them out today. Pre-load still hoses it up everyday.....so quit saying your package has never been so bad. Have someone load by an ALPHA CHART for the first few days/weeks and see how bad it is...
You didn't have over 70s in the '80s'. No recliners, weight/exercise sets, etc and the routes went out with at least 20% less stops on average.
Putting a PAL label on a pkg doesn't mean it's going on the right truck or loaded in order as can be witnessed by most drivers.
You need to run a metro route for a week (if you can make it that long) and then run your mouth on here about the old days.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Everyone should be doing this everyday already. You can't and shouldn't "organize" this.

LeadBelly

Banned
I actually have 29 years lol I am just trying not to be identified So you don't think we as teamsters should not of been asked to voice our opinion I mean I seen this coming that would cause a lot of cut routes on Monday and a lot of senior drivers would rather take off before running a route cold on Mondays which they have the opportunity to do based on seniority that's even less money going into our pension. Wake up and open your eyes obviously your route is not cut on Mondays like mine because I have a 60% resi route and they divide my business between 3 other routes which are bid routes and you can not cover even if higher senior employee uuum seems a little fishey
I've made strides to use better punctuation while posting here on this forum. After reading this post, I want to apologize to anyone I might have offended with my lack of punctuation.

Distracted driver

Distracted Driver
What discipline is sticking by using technology? What exactly is the "terrible" union supposed to do about Saturday delivery? I have my issues with our union, but trashing it isn't going to get you much sympathy. Imagine not having that "terrible" union....
Are you kidding me. How about Mabey offering up saturdays as extra work for overtime . How about letting part timers who were already doing Saturday air for the last 25 years delivering ground which would add more part time drivers and help out to fund our troubled pension fund .. and most importantly not allowing ups to use Monday's residential work to fill the void in volume on Saturday so they make sure these drivers are going out with at least a 8.50 plan day ( do you know that's about 230 stops a car in our area ))). That's a lot of work taking from Monday and that allows the cutting of more routes on a Monday 20 a center in our area .. that's 20 drivers not working but don't get me wrong seniority rules and they have the opportunity to work but not many senior drivers will run as a cover driver doing a route they have no knowledge of . So that will be another problem to our decreasing pension. My point is the union needs to look at the big picture and do what's right for its members because they get there dues regardless and our local union officials are each making over 120,000 a year some even over 140 which I think is outrageous

Distracted driver

Distracted Driver
Cutting runs on Monday and you go home?

No problem until at the end of the year you needed those 52 "reports" to make a year's pension credit.

Think about it.
I did a route and worked on Monday because I need to work 5 days a week .and yes I was 2 hours paid over with late air and yeas I was in the office next day for productivity And yes I did have 3 files complaints but I did my best and that's all I can do ..I guess my route is now to be cut every Monday and is not even a tues they sat route . Hey thanks for allowing this local union number __\|~

Distracted driver

Distracted Driver
I've made strides to use better punctuation while posting here on this forum. After reading this post, I want to apologize to anyone I might have offended with my lack of punctuation.
And professor lead belly this isn't about punctuation it's about getting a point across so go read the wall street journal and continue thinking your better then everyone you ass

Coldworld

60 months and counting
It could be construed as a "work stoppage or slow down".

Better yet....

Drivers grow a set, and enforce this (participate) on a daily basis.

The language is there.

Use it.

-Bug-
Work stoppage talk is about as pathetic as the proven "dishonesty" that ups tries to pull out of their ass on occasion... Time to strike both of these from any future contract....add that to the list bud

hyena

Are you kidding me. How about Mabey offering up saturdays as extra work for overtime . How about letting part timers who were already doing Saturday air for the last 25 years delivering ground which would add more part time drivers and help out to fund our troubled pension fund .. and most importantly not allowing ups to use Monday's residential work to fill the void in volume on Saturday so they make sure these drivers are going out with at least a 8.50 plan day ( do you know that's about 230 stops a car in our area ))). That's a lot of work taking from Monday and that allows the cutting of more routes on a Monday 20 a center in our area .. that's 20 drivers not working but don't get me wrong seniority rules and they have the opportunity to work but not many senior drivers will run as a cover driver doing a route they have no knowledge of . So that will be another problem to our decreasing pension. My point is the union needs to look at the big picture and do what's right for its members because they get there dues regardless and our local union officials are each making over 120,000 a year some even over 140 which I think is outrageous
We definitely don't want them using part timers for ground delivery. I see that having a bad effect on full time positions.