Saturday ground and terrible union

Distracted driver

Distracted Driver
Operations Management does not want to work Saturday's either no one DM and above will be working Saturday I promise you.

Telematics is a great tool to manage with, example if we say don't back at a certain address then don't back at that address. I get you are looking for a package in the back of the truck for 5 minutes....but 43 times a day?? So that is where local policies and procedures come into place. SORT THE TRUCK be smart about it. We had to dig packages out in the 80's and we still have to dig them out today. Pre-load still hoses it up everyday.....so quit saying your package has never been so bad. Have someone load by an ALPHA CHART for the first few days/weeks and see how bad it is...
Another sticking point to that is say you have a 400piece a day car which packs the middle you can't sort it unless you want to step all over everything just yesterday I had air in 7000 section which I found at 5pm which by that time they were closed . That's why I take pictures of my load it helps when I'm in the office everyday like I usually am . The problem also stems from preload and the end of the night when they put 2 loaders in a truck to help out because it's 900am with a stack of 100 boxes behind your truck and they just throw them anywhere

Distracted driver

Distracted Driver
No only for Saturday's can partimers be used to deliver ground I thought I made that clear but if not I'm sorry
In my center we have at least 6 partimers from inside the building doing routes everyday which is messed up and wrong these guys are happy working 2 or 3 days a week and are always on staffing why is this allowed to happen because that is 6 full time jobs not being put on. These said part timers have been doing routes in my center for the last 5 years and if there is not enough work they are allowed to go back inside building a week at a time. And when I hear they are making only 18 and hours is sickening

hyena

No only for Saturday's can partimers be used to deliver ground I thought I made that clear but if not I'm sorry
To let them just work Saturdays opens a door though..It would start with Saturday and fester to something way worse I fear.

Distracted driver

Distracted Driver
Your comparison is delivering in the 80's and now? Wow, ignorance is really your strong suit. When ignorance fails, there is always delusion to fall back on. Fact is, you could never sustain the work pace you require your own staff to. The job takes as long as it takes. Period. Your arbitrary "goals" are not realistic. Your company would work more smoothly if you actually listened to your work force instead of some out of touch bean counter who hasn't delivered since the 80's or ever. I'd love to work for you. 5 minutes times 43 packages? Sounds like you're getting off easy.
lol delivering in the 80's. I was a loader then the trucks were all p500s. That is half the size of the trucks we have now and the packages were the size of a shoebox and a large packages that were the size of two shoeboxes lol. I've been there in the 80's the hardest part was sheeting packages by hand and your trucks were all half full. I wish I drove back then when 80 stops 150 packages and 70 miles was a 8 hour day. Amazing how times change

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
lol delivering in the 80's. I was a loader then the trucks were all p500s. That is half the size of the trucks we have now and the packages were the size of a shoebox and a large packages that were the size of two shoeboxes lol. I've been there in the 80's the hardest part was sheeting packages by hand and your trucks were all half full. I wish I drove back then when 80 stops 150 packages and 70 miles was a 8 hour day. Amazing how times change
And that's what I love about these managers. They act like the old fat guy telling stories about how he was a high school football champion. Different game back then that it is now.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

Bad idea. UPS will not pay them top rate, let's agree on that right off the bat. What would stop them from over hiring part time Saturday drivers, then holding work from Friday, and advancing work from Monday? A small army of cheaper, part time labor, and routes would still be cut in Monday. Then we would all become part time. You see now???

Edit:
My Ba told us this is what UPS originally wanted to do. Union said no, maybe not so terrible huh???

LeadBelly

Banned
And professor lead belly this isn't about punctuation it's about getting a point across so go read the wall street journal and continue thinking your better then everyone you ass
Wow I think you have me mistaken for Ernest Hemingway or something. I'm no English major your paragraph is just bad, hard to follow, and how about some spaces in between to break it up .

10 Pt

Maybe. I agree with LeadBelly2.0. I'm no English major either it is hard to follow.
Not hard to read or follow...hard to digest.
And that's what I love about these managers. They act like the old fat guy telling stories about how he was a high school football champion. Different game back then that it is now.
They conveniently leave out the fact that part timers are loading 4-6 cars now and pph are jacked up accordingly. They run it down the throats of people making $11-15/hr and drivers have to fix it at $50+/hr at the end of the day.
Heck, for some time they mandated every driver in our building to stop for ten minutes every day and sort their trucks for misloaded pkgs. If you do the math and add all the wasted man hours the company could have hired several more preloaders and got the job done more quickly and with greater quality but some bean counter said the current (failing) plan is the best.

@Dragon only sees things from his point of view and even though he bailed out of the bargaining unit work force when it was much easier to deliver, finish and feel like doing something with the family after work (usually 6:30 or after) their mindset is how lucky we are to have a job there. Just wait ten years and see the work ethics of the next generation drivers. I hope he's around to deal with it because their scare tactics will go in one ear and out of the other. Good luck with that.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Another sticking point to that is say you have a 400piece a day car which packs the middle you can't sort it unless you want to step all over everything just yesterday I had air in 7000 section which I found at 5pm which by that time they were closed . That's why I take pictures of my load it helps when I'm in the office everyday like I usually am . The problem also stems from preload and the end of the night when they put 2 loaders in a truck to help out because it's 900am with a stack of 100 boxes behind your truck and they just throw them anywhere
You should never have air on those rear shelves....ever

By The Book

Doesn't your diad prompt you when it's 20 minutes before your commit time? In some centers you have to verify all your airs before you leave.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
It's all a scam.... Try not to stress man...

dudebro

Bad idea. UPS will not pay them top rate, let's agree on that right off the bat. What would stop them from over hiring part time Saturday drivers, then holding work from Friday, and advancing work from Monday? A small army of cheaper, part time labor, and routes would still be cut in Monday. Then we would all become part time. You see now???

Edit:
My Ba told us this is what UPS originally wanted to do. Union said no, maybe not so terrible huh???

Mgmt here, can confirm.

Can't hold committed Friday work to Saturday - good way to tick off customers and get yourself fired.

But advance Monday work at a lower cost per piece, when cost per piece is a big part of my evaluation? All day long.

Wouldn't be THAT easy though. You still need density. A driver making half the rate, at half the SPORH, means the stop costs the same to deliver anyway.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Mgmt here, can confirm.

Can't hold committed Friday work to Saturday - good way to tick off customers and get yourself fired.

But advance Monday work at a lower cost per piece, when cost per piece is a big part of my evaluation? All day long.

Wouldn't be THAT easy though. You still need density. A driver making half the rate, at half the SPORH, means the stop costs the same to deliver anyway.
My center futures Friday work that won't fit all the time now with Saturday ground. You wouldn't see the work being held in the building either, it would be above your head in the chain of command.

dudebro

Really? I could see that with a service (Like SurePost) that doesn't have a hard date, but futuring Friday committed work for Saturday sounds like trouble.

Distracted driver

Distracted Driver
Let's face it they are smart and know what thier doing and obviously we are also smart and figure out what they are doing but when I approached them about advancing work for controlling volume they say that is not done here we don't have that technology yet. Bull crap