Saturday Ground

All that the Monday driver have to do is request there 8 hrs of work. You can't cut routes on Monday and tell the M-friend driver in order to get there 8 they have to work Sat it doesn't work that way. You also can't lay people off only Monday and every Monday.
I agree,partially. but how many guys,agree to stay home?

worldwide

So they are rolling this out and starting to test it at my building(portland, ore). They say they aren't going to start a tues-sat shift but instead are going to use volunteers. They said they were going to start on sep 6th but they took the list down so it might be a few weeks.

Has anyone heard of this? Oh, and its ground delivery on a weekend so its top-rate for everyone plus overtime since its a 6th shift. I'm definitely signing up when they put the list back up.

When UPS' primary competitor offers ground delivery on Saturday and uses it to sell against UPS and win new business, are you a bit surprised at this happening? If UPS can take away one of the main selling features that FedEx Home Delivery uses against UPS ground service, it's not that surprising. What remains to be seen are the details of the service (i.e. which ground packages will get delivered on Saturday, commercial, residential or both? Will Saturday ground be guaranteed like Mon-Fri ground service is? etc.). UPS does things to respond to the market and competitors. If UPS can offer this service and profit from it, why wouldn't it offer the service? Last time I checked, UPS is not a non-profit corporation.

PT Car Washer

I agree with everything you have said. UPS must stay competitive with the competition. But UPS also must make a profit on the services it sells. I don't see Saturday Ground as nothing more then a niche market just like Saturday Air. I work every Saturday and volume has stayed the same or dropped for the last 10 years. Last Saturday was a big day for me, 29 stops and 31 pieces. My other co drivers had 13, 15 and 17 stops. I bet Saturday ground only adds another 10 stops to our normal dispatch. Except Saturday Air Drivers should get a bit bump in pay.

fres431

West Coast Supplement contract has language in it that allows the company to have a Tuesday thru Saturday operation. Eventually as things get ironed out you will have employees starting Tuesday. The company is not going to pay overtime forever on an entire shift when they can get away with paying the guranatee 8 hours at straight time. however, come peak season i can almost guaranteed your going to be working all the time.
Where in western agreement ??

sandwich

The resident gearhead
I didn't see anything about sat ground in the contract. Also in my center it would be impossible to cut routes. I'm in an industrial center. 99% of the routes have minimum 25 pickups, some routes have 60. And they all start at 1:30-2:00. There is no way. They would have to add some Saturday guys or put up a volunteer bid sheet. I bet the Saturday ground will most likely be sure post resi.

calcio56

I have been tues-sat since april. Now they want me to do mon-fri.

Anyway I can do like I didn't do to drugs and "just say no"?

brownrod

I agree with everything you have said. UPS must stay competitive with the competition. But UPS also must make a profit on the services it sells. I don't see Saturday Ground as nothing more then a niche market just like Saturday Air. I work every Saturday and volume has stayed the same or dropped for the last 10 years. Last Saturday was a big day for me, 29 stops and 31 pieces. My other co drivers had 13, 15 and 17 stops. I bet Saturday ground only adds another 10 stops to our normal dispatch. Except Saturday Air Drivers should get a bit bump in pay.

I would guess that regular drivers would take that work. I'll happily work 4 hours every saturday.

AKCoverMan

Ok got the text today I'm reporting tomorrow at 8:45. I'll let you know how it goes.
I imagine they added Sat drivers today for Apple send agains as anything not delivered Friday was supposed to be auto upgraded to Saturday service for the iPhone 6 release. I need not worry about getting the call I did over 58 hrs this week! Lol