Seasonal Driver Helper, Part Time Package Handler, or Both?

6String Expert

Hello Everyone,

I am currently working as a seasonal driver's helper and I realize that as a temporary position, the time that I dedicate to this job means nothing in terms of gaining seniority and I understand that I will be laid off at the end of the year. With this in mind, is it advisable to switch to being a non-seasonal part time package handler so that I can start building seniority and working towards membership in the union? I have an orientation scheduled this week for a part time package handler position (sunrise shift) and I'd truly like to hear what you guys think is the best path to follow.
Also,I have been told that it is not unheard of for part time supervisors to be recruited from the ranks of the seasonal driver helpers. Is this correct? Do the hub managers and/or the human resources representatives take notice of the seasonal employees that are the hardest and most diligent workers and ask them to stay on, or are seasonal employees indiscriminately cast aside once peak is over regardless of their performance at work? I am working out of a hub in northern New Jersey. Thank you for your help.

DS

Fenderbender
It varies from hub to hub,but generally,your chances of getting ft are grim.
Grab your guitar and play twice a week at your local pub,and make the same money
doing what you really like.Oh wait! That's my retirement supplement idea.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
With this in mind, is it advisable to switch to being a non-seasonal part time package handler so that I can start building seniority and working towards membership in the union?
at the end of the year, ALL the seasonals get laid off no matter what. whether you get rehired the next day is dependent on how hard you worked and whether your driver spoke well of you. can't speak for other HR, but our HR pays very close attention to what your drivers and supes thought of you, and pick the best available to continue working.
if you want to become a driver, being a helper will do more for you experience-wise in the long term, but short term becoming a preloader is your best bet to staying hired.

Also,I have been told that it is not unheard of for part time supervisors to be recruited from the ranks of the seasonal driver helpers. Is this correct?
only in ****ty areas. only a stupid center manager would recruit his pt supes from a bunch of noobs. going straight into supervision is a fantastic way to drum yourself out of the company.

Do the hub managers and/or the human resources representatives take notice of the seasonal employees that are the hardest and most diligent workers and ask them to stay on, or are seasonal employees indiscriminately cast aside once peak is over regardless of their performance at work?
in good areas, yes of course. in bad areas, who knows

I am working out of a hub in northern New Jersey.
quite possibly the worst state in the country
can't even pump your own gas because the unions wont let you?
what a bunch of hand wringing pu**ies